Faithful Stand - ReaperCon Diorama (03710, 03711, 03600, and 60025)

ub3r_n3rd

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very nicely done. I love the composition of the whole scene. Since you asked for C, C the only thing that needs work to me is the base of the Goddess. I think you need to carry the weather down more or add more leaves and ivy, other then that awesomeness achieved. 

• Like 1

All of the minis come off?  Perhaps a shot of them separate.

Well done and laid out sirrah.  Glad you reduced it from your original.  Think it would have been too crowded as mentioned.

The whole thing is very nicely painted.  Congrats on the medal.

• Like 1

Good work! The underbrush in particular looks great.

Thank you! The underbrush is dried tea leaves and then some birch seeds (as leaves). 

very nicely done. I love the composition of the whole scene. Since you asked for C, C the only thing that needs work to me is the base of the Goddess. I think you need to carry the weather down more or add more leaves and ivy, other then that awesomeness achieved. 

Gracias! Good ideas, they are appreciated.  ^_^

All of the minis come off?  Perhaps a shot of them separate.

Well done and laid out sirrah.  Glad you reduced it from your original.  Think it would have been too crowded as mentioned.

The whole thing is very nicely painted.  Congrats on the medal.

Only the Paladin is removable. That's why I had to take pics like I did.

Thanks!

I was one of the judges on this one along with Michael and Aaron Lovejoy. I'm still trying to recover from a severe case of con crud at this point so let me know if something doesn't make sense.

This one passes my first criteria of story in that I can read all the visual clues and figure out what's going on. Huge plus in dioramas because if I can't figure out the story then its pretty much failed. And writing the story on the card doesn't cut it, I have to be able to see it, that's what a diorama is all about after all.

And I already manged to post this without finishing it.

The first place it loses it and I'm sure Michael pointed it out is that the Ogres are not looking at the Paladin, their gaze is directed off scene somewhere which means that you have already lost some focus, granted everyone can still figure out what's going on but that means I have "lines" that are leading me away from the focal point of the action.

After that it pretty much comes down to presentation, which overall is pretty good. I do feel its a bit to large and you could probably move the Ogre on the far left much closer in maybe as much as 3-4". I'm a firm believer in smaller is better, the reason for that is it helps keep everything focused and you don't have large areas that you feel you need to fill which often leads us to create things that distract from the action. The tree and the wall really help frame everything quite nicely which is good. You need something to stop the eye from leaving your scene and these worked quite well.

While the undergrowth looks great, you still need to apply highlights and shadows, while I know you were coming down to the wire on this one this is the kind of thing that can really give a diorama that "Wow" factor. Other places that could use improvement would be the tree itself which is a rather monotone brown and lacks bark. I know everyone was raving about it but it could still use a lot of work especially since as a view block people are going to look at it a lot. On the other end your wall is also pretty monotone. A few blocks that were painted some slightly different colors would have added a lot of interest to a fairly dominant portion of the scene.

I'm going to go back and collapse now.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 6

I was one of the judges on this one along with Michael and Aaron Lovejoy. I'm still trying to recover from a severe case of con crud at this point so let me know if something doesn't make sense.

This one passes my first criteria of story in that I can read all the visual clues and figure out what's going on. Huge plus in dioramas because if I can't figure out the story then its pretty much failed. And writing the story on the card doesn't cut it, I have to be able to see it, that's what a diorama is all about after all.

I'm happy that you could tell what the story was without a card to tell it to you.  ^_^

I'd actually love to hear all your feedback/critiques on it when you get the time and feel better. Hit me with everything that I should've done in your opinion to make it better so that I can learn and work on getting Silvers and possibly Golds in future Cons. No need for it to be a PM either, I want others to see what the judges think/thought of it.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2