77256: Brass Bull (Bones)

scipio.au

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all. Rebasing the bull really paid off well, I think. I liked the ambiguous nature of the discarded sword and shield, as well as the simple colour it brings to what would have otherwise been quite a plain base. As you said, It could be a Hoplite who has been crushed, or fled from the bull, or even the gear from a friendly that has been killed while the Bull moves up the battlefield. The shield was a bit tricky, but the best part about it was seeing that I can actually do a Greek Key pattern in that scale. The worst part is now I'll have to do it again. And again, and again... 

• Like 1

It's a beautiful piece. Love the basing and love the imagery. I think you can make this pop by adding additional shading under some of the scales/plates or the bottom side of the bull. And, lol on the continuing pattern of the Greek key. Good luck and may your hands stay steady.

A good point, and all I can say in the defence of the bull is that the photographs make it look much flatter than it actually is in hand. There's more of a gradient in tone that darkens slowly and slightly from the highest point of the upper scales to the highest points of the lower ones. 

After I finish the slight touch-ups, though - he's done. I'm at Day 128 of 365 with 184 figures paints so far - from a target of 365 figures for the year (I got up to 319 last year, so trying again)

• Like 2

Wow, great job. The base is awesome too.

Please pardon the aside: I still pretty new at this and I've seen so many nice bases lately, I wondered if there is a good base tutorial or two someone could point me toward please?

Please pardon the aside: I still pretty new at this and I've seen so many nice bases lately, I wondered if there is a good base tutorial or two someone could point me toward please?

Try this:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/53639-baugis-basing-basics-for-beginners/

Also look around the forum there are many ideas.

You might want to check youtube : fantasy miniature basing, will show some nice tutorials and ideas.

• Like 1

Try this:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/53639-baugis-basing-basics-for-beginners/

Also look around the forum there are many ideas.

You might want to check youtube : fantasy miniature basing, will show some nice tutorials and ideas.

Thank you, it's just what I was hoping for. (Sorry again for being off-topic.)

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.