Sign in to follow this  
redambrosia

Eregris Darkfathom; Mermaider Prophet (close-ups of base added further down)

This was supposed to be my entry for the most recent Bones Beauty Pageant, but something weird happened in my brain and I translated May 4th to May 6th as the finish date... and finished him late :rolleyes: By like, a day. Go figure.

Anyway, when I was looking for inspiration for him I turned to my Hubby, as usual, because he has interesting ideas. Almost immediately he thought of a portion of the Dethlok song Mermaider II, which references a prophet. For a reference picture he gave me the special edition cover of Dethalbum II, which is a really awesome, dark merman wielding two tridents.

So for my prophet I decided to go for dark tones, staying in the cool ranges. Mostly, I just wanted to keep him really dark, as though he was lurking at the bottom of an abyss. His armour is all grey, with a dark charcoal sample paint standing in for dark elf shadow (which I don't yet have), then I used dark elf skin, and dark elf highlight. The every light points (which are inspired by the bright points on piranha scales) is rainy grey. I washed the armour with watered down brown liner, to give it an aged, grey bone look, though I don't think I achieved that as well as I would have liked.

His bottom most skirt is black, with carnival purple highlights. The pleated skirt was based in forest green, then highlighted with a blend of minty sample paint and forest green which made a nice teal. The dark blue layers are nightmare black with some P3 blue highlights. And that's about what I remember of his skirts. Aside from that I came to the conclusion that he probably never gets undressed, unless he has very good motivation (and help getting dress afterwards :poke: ).

Finally, I did the OSL effect from his bobble with Atlantean Aqua, lightened with white and watered down a lot.

The water effect is entirely new to me and caused me no end of nervousness while I was at work and it was curing. I was pretty sure I had ruined him. But it looks pretty neat, especially with the red in there. Looks like he just murdered something :ik_oops: And the cat hair is not attached, it's just my cat's way of photobombing <_<

Sea_Priest1.jpgSea_Priest2.jpg

Reference picture:

mermader_2_small.jpg

Reference lyrics:

And the prophet gives to you this warning

If this path is chosen you'll be met with strife

For you'll be seen as an enemy of the sacred

And the gods will curse you

For the rest of your life

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 19

Enter him in the challenge anyway. I haven't been able to start the voting poll yet. :) 

He looks great, btw. 

• Like 1

Oh, I took some close ups of his base. I chopped up a bones skeleton (he was especially bendy) for it and sculpted a couple seashells out of green stuff.

Sea_Priest3.jpgSea_Priest4.jpgSea_Priest5.jpg

• Like 9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kev!
      Howdy,

The fish of the day is...

Kev!
    • By redambrosia
      I've got three player characters and a random demon.

The first is a kobold mage, from 03024 Kobold Leader and Sorcerer. I filled out his robes and cloak so he wouldn't be raggedy. The character is a terramancer, so I should have replaced the fire with earthy stuff, but I wasn't feeling that creative.

Next is the half-leprechaun, for our irish-heritage player  He's made from 50307, Mr. Grimm and a now faceless bones guy. I just cut off that guy's face and attached it to Mr. Grimm, who had his face ground down. I also filled in the robotic arm and ground off the back pack connector. Turning the hand into a humanoid hand didn't work too well, so don't look at that.

The last player character is a new version of my doll mage, Eloria, made from 03648, Hyrekia. I liked her better than my previous.

And last is 77258 Blood Demon. Just a random bones mini I finished.

I hope you enjoy!
    • By redambrosia
      ... and they all fall down. Where they blind-folded or something?!

Druid! This is actually the first mini I ever bought, well over ten years ago. At the time I couldn't imagine painting her (those tiny eyes!) and figured she'd just be metal coloured. Obviously, things have changed. I decided that I wanted her to be a more colourful druid, because nature is colourful, so why are druids always in boring green and brown? And then her bird ended up being a parrot.

This is the mini for my Hubby's dragonborn paladin, Sharoc-Pel. Hubby wanted him fairly simple and non-fancy, so I stuck with steel coloured armour for him.

This is Rokori, my Little People Beauty Pageant entry. She's a guard for the King of the dwarves, which is what the symbol on her shield is meant to be. When I entered her in the pageant she actually wasn't done, but I didn't notice until too late that her belt buckle was unfinished. So this is the finished version, with the shield on her belt buckle too.

And last is the polar bear. It was painted up as familiar for a snow elf character. She has a name, but durned if I remember it Went with warm whites for this polar bear and put some snow effect on her paws, between her claws. She has yet to bloody anything.

Hope you enjoyed them and my silly joke
    • By redambrosia
      My first item is a mini my brother in law sent me, presumably to paint for him (he included no notes or instructions). It didn't come in a package and it had no markings, so I have no idea who made it. I actually struggled with it for a while, because there's a lot going on, but eventually realized that after I got the basic colours on it I could just splotch some red in there and hit it with a brown wash and it would look good and dirty. As though it had been through a battle... duurrrrr! So it's basic tabletop quality. And since he didn't pay with chocolate, which is the agreed upon price for my services, that's what he gets!

ETA: Thanks to Wyvernfire I know that the body pile is from the Gamers: Hands of Fate KS and it's official name is the Mound of Dead Bards. Apparently someone didn't like their singing...

Next I have my half-orc priestess conversion of the bones version of Seelah, Iconic Paladin. I cut the shield off her back, the helmet out of her arm, the scabbard from the inside of her cloak, and gave her a club. Then I tried to use some Golden brand goop to smooth out the cloak, but it didn't work very well and left a weird texture that I couldn't get rid of. Oh, and I replaced the helmet with a box of chocolates for RP reasons

Anyway, I eventually just got sick of trying to make her look better and decided that sub-tabletop quality would suffice. I kind of wanted to set the cloak on fire But I love the little box of chocolates (it is Whitman's chocolates!)

Speaking of conversions, here's my bionoid gal, the changed form of #143 (Spelljammer character). Underneath all the green and brown stuff is Marie, the chronoscope robot. In hindsight it probably would have been easier to get one of their sculpting dollies and make her using that.... but I didn't know they had those when I started

And yes, she's very shiny, but I want her that way. Her exoskeleton is supposed to look like a beetle shell, so I figured it would be shiny. It just looks awful in pictures.

Finally, here are my other two firewalls. I decided I would do a little OSL effect with them, unlike the first two.

Anyway, enjoy! Comments and suggestions welcome
    • By redambrosia
      When I decided to enter the Painting Excuses contest I thought about painting Kyrie as Little Red Riding Hood (Pingo made mention of it when she came out and the idea has been rattling in my head ever since). But as I prep-ed her, it occurred to me that it would take very little to turn her into a barbarian version of Princess Mononoke. I mean, wolf cape!

So I filled out her skirt with green stuff and covered the wolf face with a round blob to make the mask. I ended up wishing I had had made the mask bigger though.

I used the rosy skin triad on her, blackened brown, shield brown, ginger cookie... and some tan on her armour bits. I know I started with ginger cookie for the cloak, and ended with white, but I don't remember the in-between colour (painting journal, what's that? )

And as usual, my camera washed out the work I did on the white. Honest to Sophie, there's actual shading and whatnot on that fur cloak

• Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)