Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Reaper Miniatures Bones 3, Launches July 7th

OK, I won't be upset if you can not answer this, but I'd like to ask anyway. What was the lowest performer from the previous two Bones Kickstarters?

Cadirith.

Excluding Vampire Boxes and Core sets, which are runaway #1 with a bullet on a laser mag-lev train on a highway to hell, I believe Kaladrax was #1.

Doesn't that make Kaladrax a Loss Leader?

The wording is confusing, but I believe Kaladrax was a great seller during bones 1.

However, because the size of Kali and Nerthymaul changed post campaign, Kali turned out to be an amazing deal for 10$, so in effect would've been a loss leader for Reaper until it hit retail.

This Froghemoth (from one of our own Reaperites) is on my Bones 3 wishlist.

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 2

Specifically of froghemoth

YES

Okay, so I have seen ALOT of requests for a froghemoth but didnt they do one in Bones II?

77377_p_1_mp.jpg

Found in the Preview Gallery

Was a part of expansion 2 of Bones II

If this is not a Froghemoth... I am sorry for any blasphemy... but what is?

That is a toad demon. It is a D&D thing. It is NOTHING like a Froghemoth, which is a mutant frog monster originally from "Expedition to Barrier Peaks" and drawn by the god of D&D art Erol Otus.

tumblr_nfi3fgemO41ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

This is the one I was hoping for.

Look up 'Expedition to the Barrier Peaks'. That's where the froghemoth, vegipygmies, and thornies all come from. Three classic monsters, that to my knowledge, have never seen the light of day as miniatures.

I desperately want ALL three of these! There were some great sculpts for vegypygmies made too that may never see the light of day.

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 2

Pretty sure Froghemoth is open content, due to the fact that it predates Pathfinder and features heavily in it. I believe it's been around for a while and is likely available for anyone to use, unlike Illithids, Beholders, or Tana'ri.

Kaladrax was a mini I didn't pledge for at the time, seeing as I was already overspending on the Kickstarter, but I regretted it. When it came out at my FLGS, I was up there ASAP to buy one, and it's already on my shelf, fully painted. Loved that dragon. I'm chomping at the bit to see what other dragons are coming - they're time consuming, infuriating during the painting process (so many scales), but I love the finished product - which is to say, I love the smell of my players pooping their pants at the very thought of me putting even one of them down. Little do they know that the dragon from DDSII, Kaladrax, and a few others are all going to be showing up at once in the very near future... evillaugh.gif

It dates to 1e D&D, pretty sure it is not open content, any more than say, the Tarrasque. Perhaps even less so, since the Tarrasque took it's name from an 'existing' legendary creature, the Tarasque, whereas the Froghemoth is an original creation. It's old (1980) but not as old as Illithids or Beholders.

Froghemoth eating T-Rex 250px-Orv_monster_battle.jpg

Description http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Froghemoth

...it has tentacles. Why does a frog have tentacles...?  :wacko:

Because it's not a frog. It's a Froghemoth, an oh-so-clever contraction of frog and behemoth. It's also an alien creature that survived a spaceship crash into the world of Greyhawk. I'm guessing the guy who came up with the name just described what he saw as he was fleeing for his life from this alien monstrosity. 

That is not a Froghemoth. That, my friend, is a not-Slaad.

This is a Froghemoth:

barrierpeaks_33.jpg

...again with the tentacles... :wacko:

Look up 'Expedition to the Barrier Peaks'. That's where the froghemoth, vegipygmies, and thornies all come from. Three classic monsters, that to my knowledge, have never seen the light of day as miniatures.

That was a fun module. I was really hoping to get the one Enos made for Tome of Horrors. And it's a crying shame there are no Vegepygmy minis, I'd love a mixed set of 4-6 of them.

• Like 3

OK, I won't be upset if you can not answer this, but I'd like to ask anyway. What was the lowest performer from the previous two Bones Kickstarters?

Cadirith.

Excluding Vampire Boxes and Core sets, which are runaway #1 with a bullet on a laser mag-lev train on a highway to hell, I believe Kaladrax was #1.

WHAT!!! But she is sooooo cool!

• Like 3

This one was for the failed and majorly controversial Tomb of Horrors by CSM, who licensed the mini from Frog Good Games. Depending on how the bankruptcy court shakes down it may be awhile before it's seen, if ever, as a mini. If the sculptor or FGG gets the green back, I hope Reaper licenses the green for bones.

• Like 2

I noticed some posts in this thread have suggested pledging for a relatively small amount then adding items when the pledge manager is completed.  In effect, this would allow a person to delay being billed at the close of the project until the pledge manager is completed.

In the last two Bones kickstarters, I promptly completed the pledge manager as soon as it became available.  However, on Bones KS2 those who delayed filling out the pledge manager for several months were able to wait until then to decide what they wanted while those that completed the pledge manager sooner were not able to change their selections since the order was locked in.  That left me feeling it might have been a mistake to fill out the pledge manager quickly since there were a few things I would have added later if I could have,  Although I realize it helps Reaper plan production if people finalize orders early in the process,. is there any downside for the buyer to delaying filling out the pledge manager for several months to maintain the flexibility to change the order?

So I have VERY GOOD NEWS for you.

We're changing the system now so that you don't really Lock In an order, you Save it. We'll explain it better in an Update, but the Nuts & bolts are this:

• During the project, it's all in Pledge Calculator Mode. You can make changes all day every day and nothing is permanent. It remembers your selections, but they can be changed at your heart's content.
  • After the project (about 3-4 weeks, if memory serves) we go into Pledge Manager Mode. Everything you chose from calculator mode is still remembered, but now you have the option to Save your selections. At that point, if you spent more than you pledged, you can pay additional funds for the additional rewards. 
  • Any Saved items, now paid for, are Locked. Tthis works like before, but with one major difference!
  • Note that you MIGHT choose to Save your rewards while you still have an outstanding balance (maybe you pledge $150 but accidentally selected only $120 in rewards). In the past you'd have been up a creek, but now you can simply go to the next bullet point
  • If at any time you want to ADD MORE rewards, you may do so. Simply make a second, third, or nth payment (as appropriate) to cover the cost of the additional rewards (and shipping if any) and we'll add those to what's already saved. When we ship, we'll ship all of your different Saved orders as one order, combining them for your convenience. Edit to add: At some point, probably right about the time the boat hits the water, we'll make an announcement that no more additions can be made. At that point, all backers are on equal footing, whether you saved all of your selections on Day 1 or Manager Mode, or on day 300)
  • Edit to ALSO ADD: Be aware that Saved Selections cannot be removed. We'll try to be accommodating to reasonable requests, but to remove an item from your rewards we would have to directly enter the database and manipulate the data by hand - not a thing that is always safe or reasonable. It helps if you think of Saves as permanent. You can always add, but subtraction just isn't practical except in extreme cases.

Yes, money added in Pledge Manager Mode does not count towards unlocking new goals, and if every backer added only $1 and then decided to add their funds afterwards, in Bones II we'd have only raised $14,000 and not have even met minimum funding. Obviously this would have not been as good of a bargain in that case.

Please balance this knowledge with what is financially responsible for you and your family. We would rather have you not pledge than pledge and endure significant hardship for our product.

Thank you, Bryan.

The confusion and conflicting information regarding the pledge management (from both Official and unofficial sources) was one of my chief sources of concern* with the Bones 2 Kickstarter.  I'm happy to see that some steps have been made to address this.  The lack of any clear distinct indicator of the state of the pledge (being told to "lock-in" when no such thing existed) was needlessly obtuse.

One concern about the current set-up is shipping though.  With International Order in Bones 2, there was a breakpoint where the shipping went up dramatically above a certain level (I think for myself it was about $420 or so), where it increased by about $40-50 outright, even if I only added a $10-20 add-on.  I don't object to the shipping charges, but I'd like to know in advance.  Especially when a small net increase can sway the total.

So, is there anyway that shipping can be included (or estimated) within the Pledge Calculator / Pledge Manager.  That would be swell.

Ray

*: The second would be the relatively poor communications, especially with respect to delays.  I'm thinking especially of Update 97, when the backers were informed for the first time of significant production problems and delays, shortly before the initial fulfilment date.  I hope that kind of thing doesn't happen again.

• Like 1

Thank you, Bryan.

The confusion and conflicting information regarding the pledge management (from both Official and unofficial sources) was one of my chief sources of concern* with the Bones 2 Kickstarter.  I'm happy to see that some steps have been made to address this.  The lack of any clear distinct indicator of the state of the pledge (being told to "lock-in" when no such thing existed) was needlessly obtuse.

One concern about the current set-up is shipping though.  With International Order in Bones 2, there was a breakpoint where the shipping went up dramatically above a certain level (I think for myself it was about $420 or so), where it increased by about $40-50 outright, even if I only added a $10-20 add-on.  I don't object to the shipping charges, but I'd like to know in advance.  Especially when a small net increase can sway the total.

So, is there anyway that shipping can be included (or estimated) within the Pledge Calculator / Pledge Manager.  That would be swell.

Ray

*: The second would be the relatively poor communications, especially with respect to delays.  I'm thinking especially of Update 97, when the backers were informed for the first time of significant production problems and delays, shortly before the initial fulfilment date.  I hope that kind of thing doesn't happen again.

I think the sudden "leap" in shipping costs was due the fact that the first box was full, and then they needed a second one, thus increasing not only the weight but the volume also. So even one small miniature was the last drop that spoil the glass of water (common brazilian expression, I don´t know if exist in your country, but I think you´ll get the meaning).

I had to play a while with the pledge manager to get the "optimal shipping cost for my 3 pledges" trying to get as less boxes as possible.

Edited by naponatom
  • Like 8

I noticed some posts in this thread have suggested pledging for a relatively small amount then adding items when the pledge manager is completed.  In effect, this would allow a person to delay being billed at the close of the project until the pledge manager is completed.

In the last two Bones kickstarters, I promptly completed the pledge manager as soon as it became available.  However, on Bones KS2 those who delayed filling out the pledge manager for several months were able to wait until then to decide what they wanted while those that completed the pledge manager sooner were not able to change their selections since the order was locked in.  That left me feeling it might have been a mistake to fill out the pledge manager quickly since there were a few things I would have added later if I could have,  Although I realize it helps Reaper plan production if people finalize orders early in the process,. is there any downside for the buyer to delaying filling out the pledge manager for several months to maintain the flexibility to change the order?

We're changing the system now so that you don't really Lock In an order, you Save it. We'll explain it better in an Update, but the Nuts & bolts are this:

• During the project, it's all in Pledge Calculator Mode. You can make changes all day every day and nothing is permanent. It remembers your selections, but they can be changed at your heart's content.
  • After the project (about 3-4 weeks, if memory serves) we go into Pledge Manager Mode. Everything you chose from calculator mode is still remembered, but now you have the option to Save your selections. At that point, if you spent more than you pledged, you can pay additional funds for the additional rewards. 
  • Any Saved items, now paid for, are Locked. Tthis works like before, but with one major difference!
  • Note that you MIGHT choose to Save your rewards while you still have an outstanding balance (maybe you pledge $150 but accidentally selected only $120 in rewards). In the past you'd have been up a creek, but now you can simply go to the next bullet point
  • If at any time you want to ADD MORE rewards, you may do so. Simply make a second, third, or nth payment (as appropriate) to cover the cost of the additional rewards (and shipping if any) and we'll add those to what's already saved. When we ship, we'll ship all of your different Saved orders as one order, combining them for your convenience. Edit to add: At some point, probably right about the time the boat hits the water, we'll make an announcement that no more additions can be made. At that point, all backers are on equal footing, whether you saved all of your selections on Day 1 or Manager Mode, or on day 300)
  • Edit to ALSO ADD: Be aware that Saved Selections cannot be removed. We'll try to be accommodating to reasonable requests, but to remove an item from your rewards we would have to directly enter the database and manipulate the data by hand - not a thing that is always safe or reasonable. It helps if you think of Saves as permanent. You can always add, but subtraction just isn't practical except in extreme cases.

Yes, money added in Pledge Manager Mode does not count towards unlocking new goals, and if every backer added only $1 and then decided to add their funds afterwards, in Bones II we'd have only raised $14,000 and not have even met minimum funding. Obviously this would have not been as good of a bargain in that case.

Please balance this knowledge with what is financially responsible for you and your family. We would rather have you not pledge than pledge and endure significant hardship for our product.

Thank you, Bryan.

Ray

Not really sure how much Kickstarter experience you have, but Reaper's campaigns are not exactly good examples of poor communication.  

Understanding that the date up front is an estimate is important. All along they had said it's possible for the date to be met, beat, or for it to slip, but they were hoping to beat it. As explained, once they knew they would not make the date, they told us - there wasn't anything really to tell us before that.

You'd be hard pressed to find many campaigns that can stick to semi-monthly updates, and most don't even bother telling you they are running late, they just eventually announce they are shipping and people notice that they are late.

• Like 5

As promised, with One Week (slightly less! OMG WHAT AM I DOING ON THE FORUMS!  TOO MANY LOOSE ENDS TO TIE UP! BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT. Breathe In. Breathe Out. breath in. breath out.) here's your avatars!  There's 3 to choose from, and I haven't tested them as Circles yet.

Bones3_Icon1.jpg Bones3_Icon2.jpg Bones3_Icon3.jpg

Thank you, Bryan.

Ray

Not really sure how much Kickstarter experience you have, but Reaper's campaigns are not exactly good examples of poor communication.  

Understanding that the date up front is an estimate is important. All along they had said it's possible for the date to be met, beat, or for it to slip, but they were hoping to beat it. As explained, once they knew they would not make the date, they told us - there wasn't anything really to tell us before that.

You'd be hard pressed to find many campaigns that can stick to semi-monthly updates, and most don't even bother telling you they are running late, they just eventually announce they are shipping and people notice that they are late.

I'd also like to mention a curious phenomenon when working with China. They never like to tell you of problems. So an American company might tell it's partner that this week we experienced a problem and it will affect our timetables that are still six months in the future. A Chinese company will tell you everything is going well, and then on the day of the deadline will tell you that there has been slight delay and they are working through it but they don't have a date yet. And when they do finally give you a ship date, it's not, oh it will ship in six weeks, so you can plan, it's "ok, it's ready, we will ship tomorrow".

So where I hear you saying that you want us to tell you as soon as we know, we really are actually doing that.