Reaper Miniatures Bones 3, Launches July 7th

Reaperbryan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My one bit of feedback after Bones 2 is please do not let China glue together multi-piece models at all!  I think the great majority of us would prefer to do it ourselves and get a better fit.  Not sure if this was brought up or not, and I wanted to mention it at ReaperCon but forgot.

A surprising number of Bones are multipart, though.  Skeletons, goblins, orcs, etc.  Most of the time it's hard to notice, so the glue usually works.  I'd prefer unglued as well, particularly given the occassional sketchy glue job I see, but once I figured out how many "one piece" are actually multipart I began to see Reaper's reasoning as to why it's better to do it.  In 9/10 cases it's the overall better option to save end-user hassle.  It's one thing when I look at my sketchy eye beast with severe dental issues, and another when I consider multiplying the glue workload by 100 models I thought were one piece but aren't.

It's a tricky balance, but overall it's probably the least overall hassle to fix the occassional mutant on my end than to stop gluing at factory.

of course not having to pay the factory for assembly might lower the prices to us a bit :)

no not really. We've done some both ways and estimates were generally $.01 per model, which is not sufficient to lower MSRP

My one bit of feedback after Bones 2 is please do not let China glue together multi-piece models at all!  I think the great majority of us would prefer to do it ourselves and get a better fit.  Not sure if this was brought up or not, and I wanted to mention it at ReaperCon but forgot.

A surprising number of Bones are multipart, though.  Skeletons, goblins, orcs, etc.  Most of the time it's hard to notice, so the glue usually works.  I'd prefer unglued as well, particularly given the occassional sketchy glue job I see, but once I figured out how many "one piece" are actually multipart I began to see Reaper's reasoning as to why it's better to do it.  In 9/10 cases it's the overall better option to save end-user hassle.  It's one thing when I look at my sketchy eye beast with severe dental issues, and another when I consider multiplying the glue workload by 100 models I thought were one piece but aren't.

It's a tricky balance, but overall it's probably the least overall hassle to fix the occassional mutant on my end than to stop gluing at factory. 

of course not having to pay the factory for assembly might lower the prices to us a bit :)

Legendary Encounters will need to be glued to fulfill their mission, so I guess if that taxes the factory resources too much then more Bones may come unassembled.  Hard to say, but judging by what impact Bones Kickstarter production has, a big run of LE stuff might push production limits.  I have no idea, of course.  Just wild guesses. 

• Like 1

I have definitely been surprised by the number of small, multipart models in Bones 2 that came preglued.  Pretty cool. 

If they didn't do this at the factory it would be a disaster, methinks.  They would have to go back to bagging each small mini with its individual pieces, and then, the amount of stuff that would arrive with parts missing! 

The only two problems I had were pieces that were missing an arm or a pack that should have arrived preglued.  I am assuming that they were inserted, not glued right, and then lost in transport.  ( I got replacements and a sample paint! Arrived yesterday!  Awesome!  Just in time for Bones 3!)

Besides, anytime I have needed to separate a glued piece some gentle pressure in the right direction did the trick.  No damage at all.

• Like 4

Well, the packers were complaining about the pizza they were sent, so I think turn-about is fair play if they're going to offer us cake. :devil:

They did?? Hua... I'm not gonna hold it against them though. I can't imagine how tired they must have been by that point.

to a degree, griping goes along with being a worker. I do my fair share of the griping at work. however, with a freebie like a pizza, generally one should say "thank you" and not gripe about a free meal.

I don't know if it was complaining, or just merely passing along a polite request to allow everyone to join in the fun. I am sure the gesture was appreciated even if some were not able to take part.

Oops double post.

So yeah! I'm excited for next week!!

I can't wait to see what the bonus 24 will be! Or if the sneaked core will remain the same!

Also I shudder to think of all the new models we will see!

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 6

Oops double post.

So yeah! I'm excited for next week!!

I can't wait to see what the bonus 24 will be! Or if the sneaked core will remain the same!

Also I shudder to think of all the new models we will see!

Is it with anticip...

ation? Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 2

The hobbyist in me disagrees, but I have to say it's already unrealistic I'll ever finish my SOS, so any little bit helps. Additionally, if it broadens the appeal and helps the line in general, I'm all for it. Maybe a survey is in order on Reaper's part, though I suspect they already know the answers...

• Like 5

Understanding that the date up front is an estimate is important. All along they had said it's possible for the date to be met, beat, or for it to slip, but they were hoping to beat it. As explained, once they knew they would not make the date, they told us - there wasn't anything really to tell us before that.

You'd be hard pressed to find many campaigns that can stick to semi-monthly updates, and most don't even bother telling you they are running late, they just eventually announce they are shipping and people notice that they are late.

I've only pledged a few Kickstarter campaigns (Bones II being my first), but I'm amazed at the number of people that don't seem to grasp the concept of "estimated shipping date," seeming to think that because a date is on the pledge (even though it clearly says estimated) means that it's written in stone, and if shipping slips past that date then the company is terrible, lying, owes you something, etc...

• Like 6