Reaper Miniatures Bones 3, Launches July 7th

Also no interest in invisible figures. I agree with others it's a slippery slope. I bet someone could buy a duplicate miniature and come up with a cool paint scheme (blue and white?) That would make the miniature look shadowed or ghostly. I think that would look even better than a translucent.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to be dismissive, by the way. I just wanted people to see that there's a lot of things to think about when we create something new.

But I'd like to point out one other difficult thing with the clears. Detail. Man it can be hard to see the detail on the translucent models, people have a hard time with the rotting corpses in the base of the Gelatinous Cube, for example. They'll be hard to shoot, and hard at the table to see the detail.

They'll look hella cool when you're sneaking into the keep though...

There are ways around that ReaperBryan - the Tamiya range of translucent paints can be used to both preserve the transparency, and to define the details.  Specifically, if you did some character models in a clear plastic, I'd thin down Tamiya Clear Blue so that it barely tinted the clear plastic and use that to create a stealthed / invisible character, probably picking out the deep detail with sparing use of blue ink.

As for the issue of transparent characters in general - maybe consider doing a somewhat generic 'sneaking' pose with no weapons, maybe in both sexes and 3 different sizes (human / elf, dwarf, gnome / snack halfling)?  That way with 6 figures you provide a stealth 'proxy' for those who want that sort of thing.  Make the figures hooded & cloaked maybe.

I'm not that interested in translucent figures, but I agree with everything Laoke said here. A very reasonable, and logical case.

• Like 5

I don't really need translucent for sneaking, but they have come in handy for invisible characters. I wouldn't mind more invisible, air, and water monsters. Then I can just sub those in for the invisible characters. I'm sure everyone will be fighting over the water weird. :)

Well, We got some avatars of Egyptian Gods last Kickstarter...

Besides Egyptian gods, I'm amiss at figuring out which other mythological gods I can recognize and identify on sight.

Hmmm...

Very big viking with an even bigger hammer = Thor.

Older viking dude with one eye and two ravens = Odin.

Big bruiser wearing a lion pelt = Hercules.

Sprinter with winged helm and ankles = Mercury

I'm probably missing some easy ones.

Scantily clad human female = Aphrodite.

There seem to be a lot of Aphrodite minis.

• Like 11

I'd love to see a smoke or purple sneaking ninja or assassin: good for monsters or PCs. Maybe a male and a female, and see how they sell? If everyone wants an invisible version of every character class, that's less a problem and more an opportunity, right?

Sales will tell the tale...s.

And Blood Gnomes, especially Beetle Riders. Plus a PDF for Blood Gnomes in Swords and Wizardry and Pathfinder!

I'd also like to see more Tentacled Eldritch Abominations, and the Hound of Tindalos, of which I want 10 for a sci-fi army :P

• Like 4

Each new color we order requires a new Setup, which resets the MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity). In a nutshell, if we want Clear, Blue, and Green Cubes, we need to order 10,000 of each color, not a combined order of 10k.  

For the bases and such that we produce in house, MOQ is smaller, typically 3,000-5,000.

So translucent bases would require a smaller production run... Translucent bases... Interesting. :devil:

• Like 4

Hmmm...

Very big viking with an even bigger hammer = Thor.

Older viking dude with one eye and two ravens = Odin.

Big bruiser wearing a lion pelt = Hercules.

Sprinter with winged helm and ankles = Mercury

I'm probably missing some easy ones.Besides Egyptian gods, I'm amiss at figuring out which other mythological gods I can recognize and identify on sight.

Reaper already has a metal Thor mini...

and a Hercules.

I'm going to be buying into the Kickstarter for a semi-sane amount, then probably going semi-insane on the pledge manager.  That way it shows up in two separate month's bills and I can feel better about how much I'm ultimately going to blow on this.

• Like 5

If I think of things lacking in Bones, a wild boar, medium sized, scores very high. For people in the US a typical wilderness random encounter is a bear, but for us from western Europe it is a wild boar, or worse, a herd of them. A herd of boar in pewter is way to expensive, so we need them in Bones.

• Like 7