Corporea's Desk May-August 2015

Right!  May is here!  While I am working on a dragon (no, not that dragon...,) in the meantime I have an idea for the upcoming horror theme of next year's Reapercon.  Time for a new thread.  I'll link the old ones here in a bit.

But, my plan is to recreate Odalisque by Ingres (linked due to nudity) but with a gruesome twist.  I'm looking for the perfect miniature for her.  Has anyone seen something like it somewhere?  I'm willing to do a bit of converting, but my searching so far has been unhelpful.  Thanks in advance!!!

More soon!  I'll get up photos of my Narthrax in progress when I recover from the Plague.

• Like 14
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, back again! Here's a mock-assemble of the beastie: Basecoated with a bit of wet-blended shading on the back, just to get a feel for the colors.  You can see the primed wing compared to the bas

Those el viejo dragon minis are perfect!  I'll get around to ordering, but I may, if time permits, just try sculpting one.  exciting!   In the meantime, back to dragons!  I now have 2 super-awesome

Back for more! Right, so this beastie is big.  It may take awhile, but I'll keep plodding along and try to keep the step-by-step going.  At some point I might finish the basic shading and skip to the

• 1 month later...

Right!  May is here!  While I am working on a dragon (no, not that dragon...,) in the meantime I have an idea for the upcoming horror theme of next year's Reapercon.  Time for a new thread.  I'll link the old ones here in a bit.

But, my plan is to recreate Odalisque by Ingres (linked due to nudity) but with a gruesome twist.  I'm looking for the perfect miniature for her.  Has anyone seen something like it somewhere?  I'm willing to do a bit of converting, but my searching so far has been unhelpful.  Thanks in advance!!!

More soon!  I'll get up photos of my Narthrax in progress when I recover from the Plague.

Thread necromancy but you will want to look at the El Viejo Dragon line.  they have lots of nudes. some reclining.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Those el viejo dragon minis are perfect!  I'll get around to ordering, but I may, if time permits, just try sculpting one.  exciting!

In the meantime, back to dragons!  I now have 2 super-awesome resin dragons to paint, so if I don't at least get 1 done this year, I will be sad!  So, DDS2.  An awesome gift from the reaper forum during the 2014 Reapercon!!!  :wub:  I promise to do as much of a step-by-step as I can.  If you have questions or want a breakdown of something, let me know!  I want this to be a learning experience if possible.

First, when I look at a mini I decide a theme or color scheme, or at least some nifty idea I want to try out.  In this case, I wanted to continue in my exploration of astronomical imagery with Northern Lights.  The idea would be ice/snow camouflage.  So, I want the dragon to be "invisible" from the sky, and to blend in with the ice-snow when on the ground.  So, blues, snow colors and wings that look like the northern lights with stars.  Fun!!

I fiddled with a bunch of color ideas and will probably use a picture similar to this as inspiration:

hi-northern-lights-852-jpg_zpscygn87pq.j

I may add some colors.

aurora1_zpszhjidwor.jpg

I washed the mini with soap and water, trimmed a bunch of mold lines and I glued the head and tail section on.  I'll wait on the other parts until I'm further along so I can reach all the pesky areas of the mini.  I greenstuffed the joints of the head and tail.  She can sit on her base, but is not attached.  I plan to add a OSL effect with fire on the base to add some warm color contrast.  Some mold lines I'll hit with either sealer or paste later... when I find them...

Next, I decided to try out the idea of shading my primer, to at least aid in my color blending.  I used reaper brush-on primer white and black.

aurora2_zpstg7lbcaz.jpg

I'm messy with primer and basecoats for the most part.

aurora3_zpsnj61mkoh.jpgaurora4_zpsnyprm01e.jpg

Here's my shaded basecoat of nightmare black, frontier blue and brilliant blue.  I also used snow shadow to start some simple highlights, just to see the direction the color will go.  I'll probably glaze in some purples and teals once I get all the basic shading done.

Here's a basecoated wing:

aurora5_zps2migcnkk.jpg

I've got miss dragon's body a bit more done, but no pics yet.  Soon!

• Like 21

Ooooooooo... I will be watching this project VERY CLOSELY, because I've been trying and failing to do the same type of pattern on my Yephima; I think you even have the exact same pic reference pic I do! :lol:

: I LOVE the blues you have on her already; so rich and beautiful! :wub:

*shoveling down popcorn in great excitement*

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

Ok, back again!

Here's a mock-assemble of the beastie:

c34fdf7e-0b10-4986-8017-c77a50f0cf08_zps

Basecoated with a bit of wet-blended shading on the back, just to get a feel for the colors.  You can see the primed wing compared to the basecoated as well.

aurora7_zpsfxof7z7g.jpg

When I basecoat like this, I'll put down my midtone, run a quick shadow in the crevices, and do a few quick layers of my lighter colors on the edges of the scales.  Al of this as I'm laying down that first coat.  I find it quick and it helps me define the scales so when I go back to do my layering, I already have some shading done.

Next I tackled the head, because it gives my beastie some life.

aurora8_zpsca6dlgab.jpgaurora9_zpsgybfgzoi.jpg12fb7abb-141f-47cb-8493-7bafe90c4a46_zps

So here is the shaded basecoat.  Then I started refining the shadows and highlights and blending/layering up to my near-white.  This took about 30 minutes.  It's still not done, but it adds detail.  I like to turn the head in different directions as I paint because I'll notice small details, or change where I want the highlights to maximize contrast.  I used mostly the brilliant blue mixed with snow shadow here.  A few areas with pure white mixed in and a few areas with the frontier blue as a dark shadow.  The key to contrast (well, one key) is to make the highlighted areas and shadow areas more narrow.  that way your color reads as your midtone, and doesn't get shifted or overwhelmed.  If I'm limiting my color choices, I have to obtain most of my contrast with key shading.  Later, I'll add depth here by bringing in some glazes of other related blues or purples, just to add interest.

Here's the other wing basecoated:

aurora11_zpshmubwq1h.jpg

This thing is huge.  It may take awhile... especially since I don't have an airbrush... sigh.

• Like 21

The key to contrast (well, one key) is to make the highlighted areas and shadow areas more narrow.  that way your color reads as your midtone, and doesn't get shifted or overwhelmed.  If I'm limiting my color choices, I have to obtain most of my contrast with key shading.

I've been pretty limited with my painting this summer, but the little I've done has been very educational in this respect. I'm trying to see how little I need to do to accent a piece and make it interesting, as well as feature the sculpt. Hopefully it pays off when I can return to a better quality of painting!

These blues are sumptuous! As Buddy Guy sang, 'damn right [you] got the blues'

• Like 2

OK!  Back at work.  Thanks everyone for hanging out here with me while I putter along with blue.  I like blue- such a soothing color.

Next I'll cover a few areas step-by-step:

aurora12_zpszscijpxt.jpg2bfa30c0-7a53-4466-98ac-0bfcec9fe72d_zpsdc9b77ce-29ec-4e59-a919-b8eb78183cff_zps

So the top of my dragon is light, to blend in with the snowy environment.  the bottom I want to be dark so if she were to fly overhead we would not see her against a night sky.  So I've used the nightmare black, frontier blue and highlighted with brilliant blue.  then I put some brilliant-snow shadow mix highlights and glazed back over them with the brilliant.  the narrow highlights keep it from look too bright.  I may glaze these back a bit and blend some more before I put in the stars and aurora effect.

aurora15_zpsds3x4vl3.jpg1829a5f1-8130-40b6-9bd6-2e29dc5e14c1_zps2ac5712e-f2a2-42ff-a634-c9e2436b8127_zpsaurora17_zpspocn6tp1.jpg

So, this is the same gradient of blue, this time from brilliant to snow shadow and finally to pure white, but I'm making most of my highlights live in the snow shadow range to give it the lighter, icy feel.  I do this with a lot of layers of thin glazes, occasionally reclaiming some of my shadows when my highlighting gets out of control.  The secret to a smooth blend is layers.  the secret to the glinty effect is narrow highlights of pure white.  Patience.

aurora18_zpsst7h1axm.jpg

aurora19_zps1f1kdyws.jpg

ee6ec561-0216-4ebd-bddd-f2b43bc28bfe_zps

So, here's the arm.  The claws are mostly snow shadow with a hint of brilliant blue and highlights with the pure white.  I put them on the tips of the claws and on the curve to accentuate the bend.  I chose snow shadow because it's a blue gray.  Just like nightmare blacks is just a really dark blue.  So, my goal when painting is to pull out every possible detail in the sculpt and maximize the contrast.  See how it starts out flat and with the shading becomes more 3-D? And I don't have to use a lot of colors to do that!  Limited palettes help me focus on pure blending.  I think it's a good exercise to develop brush control as well as learn how to place shadows/highlights for maximum effect.

Back soon!

• Like 18