Sign in to follow this  
aku-chan

Twilight Knight - Order version WIP

Still don't feel like facing my 'Shelf of Shame' at the moment, so I dug this guy out of my 'Pile of Shame':-

MQ1aE3.jpg

The Order variant of the Twilight Knight from Kingdom Death.

Between him needing quite a lot of prep work (the casting wasn't particularly good on this one), a paint explosion and general 'life suckiness', I haven't got very far:-

VFZ7qD.jpg

His face is done (Vallejo Dwarf Flesh>Flesh Shade Wash>Dwarf Flesh>1:1 Dwarf Flesh/Linen White). I gave his eyes a few tries but they're way too small for me to pupilize, I might colour them in later but I'm liking them white at the moment.

I've made a start on his tunic with a basecoat of Sapphire Blue, but I'm having doubts as to whether it's all one piece (the bottom half does look a lot more 'armour platey' compared to the obviously fabric top).

There's also something going on under his left arm, so his tunic might actually be a tabbard over a breastplate, but I can't really make it out.

So I worked on his funky shield:-

LYzgEF.jpg

But I don't think I'll get a decent picture of it until it's attached.

The front of the shield is finished, the face drybrushed in Vallejo Bronze and Vallejo Burnished Gold, with the edges in Vallejo Oily Steel.

• Like 10

That is a very confusing tunic / maybe armor thing.  If it's not a tunic, where did the ends of the tunic go?  Yet it does look like plate.  When I have a mini that confuses me in this way, I try to find as many painted ones as I can.  In some cases you'll even find multiple takes on the confusing bit, and it will help you decide for yourself which worked better.  Hopefully if you have access to more info on this guy or even a stock number you can get something to look at

The best example of many different interpretations is to Google Halbarand and go to the pics.  You'll see he has a little double fabric thing hanging from his belt and that people have done it a bunch of different ways, including some treating the top like exposed armor, where others make it the top of a tunic that continues below the belt.

• Like 1

Didn't have much luck searching for painted ones (everybody seems to pick the female pin-up variant, over the four male variants). I did find one, but the photo wasn't great and I couldn't see the legs.

Been giving it some thought though, and I'm now wondering if that patterned part between his legs is the bottom half of his tunic, with some sort of waist armour over the top.

I'll do a bit more painting over the weekend, see if I can make it look right.

But we already knew you're not like other people Cash :;):

That was a really helpful piccy though, the Regular and Order TK's share enough details for me to realize my dude is wearing a tabbard over a suit of armour over a tunic (I still think the bit under his arm is the result of the poor casting though).

Didn't get as much painting done as I hoped this weekend, so progress tomorrow ...maybe.

• Like 1

Progress at last:-

unyQkR.jpg

His tabbard got finished off with highlights of 1:1 Sapphire Blue/Linen White, then got a Blue Shade Wash to darken it up a bit.

The under-tunic was painted with Vallejo Foul Green, given a Green Shade Wash, then a picked the pattern out again with the Foul Green.

The armour plates were basecoated with Vallejo Bronze, given a Brown Shade Wash, then highlighted in Bronze and Vallejo Burnished Gold.

Still looks a little weird, but better than it did.

I've made a start on the rest of the armour, it's been basecoated and washed so far.

• Like 10

More progress:-

dOWP85.jpg

Finished off the armour with highlights of Bronze and Burnished Gold.

Started on the inside of his cape with a base of 1:1 Peacock Green/Pure Black, was taking quite a while to dry between coats so I didn't get much further.

• Like 8

I'm holding off to see how it comes together, but I feel the teal and blue should be either/or rather than both. Though you should remember my bias is toward limited palettes :)

Looking great, though!

• Like 1

I'm holding off to see how it comes together, but I feel the teal and blue should be either/or rather than both. Though you should remember my bias is toward limited palettes :)

Looking great, though!

I did consider having them both blue, but I don't like different layers on minis sharing the same colour, especially on ones like this where the layers are so close together.

I worry it'll look weird unless I make it super obvious they're actually separate things.

And he's done:-

zKRDwQ.jpgmxitsZ.jpg

Finally felt like painting today (I'm really struggling to find enthusiasm for doing anything lately) and I didn't want to risk losing momentum by stopping to take pictures.

Putting together a standard Face Base for him:-

fajj42.jpg

• Like 11

Nice as always aku.

You inspired me to purchase some of those face bits btw.

I think they just go with the kd stuff so well.

I am pretty sure that I bought the small bits as yours look larger than the ones I have.

• Like 1

Nice as always aku.

You inspired me to purchase some of those face bits btw.

I think they just go with the kd stuff so well.

I am pretty sure that I bought the small bits as yours look larger than the ones I have.

Thanks.

Yeah, they seem to gel surprisingly well with the KD aesthetic.

Didn't know they did smaller ones though, I'll have to have a look for some, the ones I've got take up a bit too much room on a 30mm base.

I could be completely wrong on the size of the pieces that I bought as I have only looked at them in the packaging and not put them on a base.

I am not sure if the ones that I purchased have the foliage sculpted on either.

Either way, thanks for bringing these to light.

• Like 1