Glitterwolf paints a Ral Partha Hill Troll

Glitterwolf

I had this little fellow primed and in a box for over two decades now.

So finally I decided to paint him.

I had a real nostalgic feeling with this one.

He is a Hill Troll from Ral Partha, but nowadays he would be as big as a goblin or small orc.

Anyway: Hope you enjoy him.

post-13975-0-83120800-1437292791_thumb.jpg

post-13975-0-47770400-1437292810_thumb.jpg

post-13975-0-19027700-1437292826_thumb.jpg

post-13975-0-67146600-1437292837_thumb.jpg

post-13975-0-12181600-1437292848_thumb.jpg

post-13975-0-38962300-1437292851_thumb.jpg

post-13975-0-71215400-1437292863_thumb.jpg

post-13975-0-55199500-1437292872_thumb.jpg

post-13975-0-24228700-1437292884_thumb.jpg

post-13975-0-19433100-1437292897_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 20

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job! I like the non-standard (green) paint you went with for his skin. That's something that I'm starting to do, too.

Thx, I got indoctrinated by GW for years, painting all Orcs, Goblins and Trolls green for years.

So why exactly?

Tolkien's Orcs were another colour as were the D&D ones.

So I tried something else here.

Glad you like it.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Auberon
      Rayguns and Rocketships

Painting pulp figures isn't really my thing, but this might be a nice resource if you do.

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all you Reaperloogans!

So this one I finished a few nights ago is Valania the Sorceress.  I'm not sure who sculpted her, but I really did enjoy painting her.  She's one of the newer Partha figures, I think after they became Iron Wind, and she's got a tab base, not an integrated base.  She's also a bit larger, not the 25 mm of old. She's actually around the size of a Reaper figure.

So for her skin I tried something a little different, I started out with Blushing Rose, because I wanted to have her be a little ruddy and pinkish. 
      Hopefully she turned out okay!

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening Reaperhoochagans!

So I've already done a set of these, but was asked to do another one with another different color scheme, so here is round two of the Tom Meier Thunderbolt Mountain fairies:

and here they are together:

This time I was asked to do some different and darker skin tones, so did some tones using Dusky Skin, Terran Khaki, Redstone, Dark Skin Highlights

So anyhoos, hope you all enjoy!

EDIT:  adding a link to the original set of fairies:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/94511-thunderbolt-mountainral-partha-legacy-ballerina-fairies-by-tom-meier/#comment-1995386

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening Reapertons!

So I've been busy working on a little project, plus I'm painting some Christmas elves for my mom, but amidst everything else I got inspired to repaint a figure that for some reason I've always liked quite a lot. She's a very simple figure, and I painted her first probably way back in 1980 something, probably between 1982-1986.  She was sculpted by Dennis Mize in a set of four other thieves in the Children of the Night range. I've actually painted three of the four, still haven't gotten around to painting the last one with a grappling hook.  Anyway, showing off new to old:

and here is the original miniature, way back from the funky monkey eighties:

and here she is when I painted her maybe in the early 2000's, I'm guessing between 2004-2006:

and here they are all together:

So the oddest thing about these is that I've really never succeeded in varying from the basic color scheme.  There's always a bit of a change, but I always envisioned her as a dusky skinned, desert-themed thief.   One of these days I have a feeling that I'll paint her again, and I'll try to do a hugely opposite color scheme, blonde hair and bright clothing.  Who knows when though, it seems it takes me over a decade to get to a new version of a figure!
    • By Rob Dean
      I started painting again on my vintage Minifigs Middle Earth/Mythical Earth/Tolkien project recently, and finished off a bunch last weekend.  Since I got a unit done, I gave myself permission to relax and paint a couple of individuals from start to finish.  In keeping with the vintage Minifigs theme, these guys are catalog numbers NS9 (leveled spear), NS12 (club), and NS25 (raised spear).  

I had to reinforce the raised spear, which I discovered had cracked, with some superglue; I probably should have gone the rest of the way and improvised some sort of pennant wrapped around the spear shaft, since it left some irregularity.  While these fellows are theoretically historical, they could see service in Middle Earth as militia of Bree, Laketowners, dismounted Rohirrim, Sharkey’s thugs, Dunlendings, or the more rustic Gondorians without being too much of a stretch.

I found an ad for the range, which had been newly released as of October 1976, so just over 45 years ago.  Minifigs apparently thought they were crossover figures of interest in the fantasy market, at least enough to put an ad in The Dragon (before it lost the “The”). All of you kids can be glad that you have modern figures to work with. 😁  For those who were there with me BITD, I will note that it is a lot easier to paint these today with acrylic paint triads and brushes that will hold a point than it was to use Testors or Humbrol enamels when these were new.