Sign in to follow this  
Jaws

Forgeworld Fimir

Looks great. Very nostalgic for my old days playing HeroQuest.

I always thought these were queer sorts of monsters...where did they come from?

I found a cool article on terminally-incoherent.com that gives all the background you could ever care for...and then some.

So THAT'S a fimir.....I kept hearing conversations at Reapercon and wondering what was the big deal about painting up a legbone until I heard someone spell it out.  "No, not a F E M U R, an F I M I R..."

• Like 2

Ah yes.  Fimir were pretty horribly bizarre creatures, and the back-story for them ... well, even if they had stayed around, it could use a bit of a retcon.  Not that I would've had a clue about that just from playing HeroQuest, of course -- all that mattered was that they were these bizarre reptiloid cyclopean creatures with club-like tails: very distinctive looking creatures of Chaos.

That figure has to be the best-painted (and sculpted, of course!) Fimir I've seen yet.  :D

Edited by Jordan Peacock

Excellent mini excellent painting flesh looks real good, did I miss out not playing hero quest?

Nice job, love it. 

So THAT'S a fimir.....I kept hearing conversations at Reapercon and wondering what was the big deal about painting up a legbone until I heard someone spell it out.  "No, not a F E M U R, an F I M I R..."

Hmm. I always pronounce it Fimeer or Fuhmeer. Pretty sure that's how it should be said.

Excellent mini excellent painting flesh looks real good, did I miss out not playing hero quest?

It hasn't aged well, but it was grand fun in its day, and still fun if you have kids who are willing to play it with you. The bad guy role is incredibly boring if you don't ham it up a little, very very few options as to what to do on your turn, ever. If you are playing anyone with an inkling of strategy, the role becomes about moving one monster into contact with the one hero they are letting you hit, rolling a few die, hoping you hit them, and then watching your monsters die.

But if you have kids, copies aren't that expensive on ebay.

Edited by pinkymadigan

IRMC... Fimirs are one of the very very few species that is specific to the WFB universe.  I have several of the original minis and love them to death.

• Like 1

Definitely. I'd recommend it to everyone.  It's very basic hack and slash. Semi-competitive, and a lot of fun. Grab a copy of the American ruleset from the internet. It's available for free from several sources. Print two A0 sheets. One for the board, One for the tokens. Then use whatever minis you have lying around. The cost for doing this is not very high. 

Original copies are very expensive in my opinion, and it's mostly because of the miniatures. I replaced all miniatures of my original set with WHFB and reaper stuff. The kids like them better. 

Of all the online communities, Ye Olde Inn is probably the best place to go.

This is an old fimir (feemir) with some handswaps:

post-13938-0-26641800-1431380707_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaws
  • Like 2

Yes! It's a total stepping stone from "kid games" like "Monopoly" to transition to Pen and Paper RPGs.

• Like 1

... Forgeworld is making Fimir, now? Like I didn't have enough to spend money on already...

• Like 1

Ahh nostalgia... I do like the Brian Froud vibe of that sculpt far better than the original box set variety. Nicely brought out details.

• Like 1