Let's talk about paint brushes

I think I am going to have to start arguing that saliva, as a natural degreaser and enzymatic digestive aid, is hell on delicate brushes.

So don't put your GOOD brushes in your mouth either.

• Like 5
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are "these good ones"?   No. They're all mediocre brushes at best.   Good brushes are made of Kolinsky Sable, by a very few manufacturers: Winsor & Newton, Raphael, da Vinci, and arguably a co

Nothing to add other than what Cash says, "Life is too short for cheap brushes!"   I also like sizes 1 & 2 for both W&N and Raphael.

There are many things that pull individuals towards one type of brush over another.  Some of this has to do with style, preference on hair length but mostly with the way one paints.   The benefits o

Posted Images

I've been lucky enough to own some killer brushes:

yg0o_zpsudy7iv7i.jpg

WN S7 000
WN S7 0
WN S7 1
WN S7 2
DV 2/0
DVM 1
DVM 2
DVR 4 (5506) My primary, with a spare tucked away in my brush bag.

Masters + Pink Soap after every painting session - I take care of them. :)

All of these are fantastic, but I find myself going towards a DaVinci more than a Series 7. It just seemed to me that the level of consistant quality with my Raphael's was higher than the WN Series 7's, I wouldn't hestitate to reccomend either brand, but just like with paint, you are probably going to want to check out both for yourself and see what works better for you.

I am considering picking up a couple of synthetics, primarily for basecoating. My OCD keeps kicking in regarding destroying points (even though I typically paint with the side) and thrashing bristles with metallics, so I wouldn't mind changing that aspect of my painting up.

I am, however, a little concerned that it is going to require a learning curve all over again, like switching brands of paint (which I am also in process of.)

Per a picture in this very thread, I am considering getting Raphael Kaerell 2 and 3 for my synthetic basecoating needs.Any other reccomendations?

Along with that, I keep wanting a Raphael 8404 or an 8408 (size 2 for either,) just because I have been hearing about them for years. If I REALLY like the one, I'll PROBABLY spring for the second, at some point, but I am wondering how often I would use it.

Finally, we have talked alot about brushes in this thread, what we like, synthetic vs real...but we haven't really touched on brush tips (liners, fans, etc.)

I am looking for a small flat SPECIFICALLY to use when drybrushing. I keep hearing about hogs hair. Any reccomendations??

As always, thanks to everyone!

• Like 3

For a small drybrushing brush, I use a 10/0 synthetic flat brush from whatever local craft store I happen to be at when I think about replacing it.  I find its a good size for getting into hard to reach areas. Anytime I drybrush its my go to. they typically last about a year or so before they fall apart. I also find it takes 2 minis for a new one to break in properly.

• Like 3

A fan is a specialized brush for doing the sort of super soft, subtle oil paint blends popular in nineteenth century academic art.

It is used dry, as paint thinner makes it useless for the purpose, on thin, wet oil paint.

Not sure there's much use for it in miniatures painting.

• Like 2

I think I am going to have to start arguing that saliva, as a natural degreaser and enzymatic digestive aid, is hell on delicate brushes.

:down:

One thing that happened with my Raphs 8404, is that I wore down their tips. So they are not super needle sharp now. Still good, but nothing to be compared to my MAGIC W&N7. However, all my Raphs have good tips, while the pair of W&N7s one is incredible, the other worse than a Raph. 

• Like 2

One thing that happened with my Raphs 8404, is that I wore down their tips. So they are not super needle sharp now. Still good, but nothing to be compared to my MAGIC W&N7. However, all my Raphs have good tips, while the pair of W&N7s one is incredible, the other worse than a Raph.

I found the same happened to my 8404. Much prefer the 8408s, they have held their tips like a champ but I've only found them at Dick Blicks
  • Like 4

I found the same happened to my 8404. Much prefer the 8408s, they have held their tips like a champ but I've only found them at Dick Blicks

What is the advertised difference between 8404 and 8408? I have liked my 8404's in the past, but I am not opposed to trying new types.

• Like 1

What is the advertised difference between 8404 and 8408? I have liked my 8404's in the past, but I am not opposed to trying new types.

Interested to know as well, since I am always open to spending more money in hobby supplies.

If I remember correctly, the 8408s are longer in the bristle than the 8404. Look at Blick's website, they give lengths & widths....

8)

George

• Like 1

Interested to know as well, since I am always open to spending more money in hobby supplies.

I'm also interested in knowing, I have a couple 8404's, thought that they were the top of the line for Raphs. If 8408's are better, I'll get some of them.

The 8404 are listed as fine point the 8408 listed as super fine point. There isn't a huge difference in length of the bristles but the 8408s do have a noticeably finer tip that has lasted longer than the 8404. They seem a bit snappier to. The 8404 is a bit floppier. When I first bought my good brushes ( two years ago) I wasn't sure of the difference so I ordered a size 0 in the 8404 and size 1&2 in the 8408. the size 1 and 2 are my go to brushes. They are pretty interchangeable. Sometimes I forget which one I'm using. The tips are just as fine and pointy as the day I got them. Although I just replaced my size 0 with another 8404 cause that's all Amazon had and the shipping was cheaper than blicks.

The 8404 and 8408 are both their top of the line kolinskys. There's just the couple differences.

Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 2

Yeah, Dick Blick is blocked at the office  :down:

I went to the Raphael website anyway, and saw that. TBH the 8408 tip looks a lot more similar to the AWESOME W&NS7 brush I am using now. Like getting narrower and ultra thin. I can see applications for that; I would certainly try to get a #1 from that series.

• Like 2