Let's talk about paint brushes

Yeah, Dick Blick is blocked at the office  :down:

I went to the Raphael website anyway, and saw that. TBH the 8408 tip looks a lot more similar to the AWESOME W&NS7 brush I am using now. Like getting narrower and ultra thin. I can see applications for that; I would certainly try to get a #1 from that series.

Exactly. The bellies are big, the tips are super thin. I heart them. I do have to go with a smaller thinner brush for getting in tight spaces but that's why I have a variety of brushes.

• Like 1
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are "these good ones"?   No. They're all mediocre brushes at best.   Good brushes are made of Kolinsky Sable, by a very few manufacturers: Winsor & Newton, Raphael, da Vinci, and arguably a co

Nothing to add other than what Cash says, "Life is too short for cheap brushes!"   I also like sizes 1 & 2 for both W&N and Raphael.

There are many things that pull individuals towards one type of brush over another.  Some of this has to do with style, preference on hair length but mostly with the way one paints.   The benefits o

Posted Images

The 8404 are listed as fine point the 8408 listed as super fine point. There isn't a huge difference in length of the bristles but the 8408s do have a noticeably finer tip that has lasted longer than the 8404. They seem a bit snappier to. The 8404 is a bit floppier. When I first bought my good brushes ( two years ago) I wasn't sure of the difference so I ordered a size 0 in the 8404 and size 1&2 in the 8408. the size 1 and 2 are my go to brushes. They are pretty interchangeable. Sometimes I forget which one I'm using. The tips are just as fine and pointy as the day I got them. Although I just replaced my size 0 with another 8404 cause that's all Amazon had and the shipping was cheaper than blicks.

The 8404 and 8408 are both their top of the line kolinskys. There's just the couple differences.

Grumble grumble... spend more money...

Oh who am I kidding:

TOYS!

:bday:

• Like 4

From  site:

Extra Point

Series Brush Style Diameter Length        

8408  Pointed Round, Size 0  Short Handle  1.2 mm  11 mm      

8408  Pointed Round, Size 1  Short Handle  2.0 mm  12 mm            

8408  Pointed Round, Size 2  Short Handle  2.4 mm  15 mm     

05289-1008-1-2ww-m.jpg

Fine point

Series Brush Style Diameter Length    

8404  Pointed Round, Size 0  Short Handle  1.6 mm  10 mm   

8404  Pointed Round, Size 1  Short Handle  2.4 mm  13 mm

8404  Pointed Round, Size 2  Short Handle  3.2 mm  15 mm        

05048-group2ww-m.jpg

Didn't go above size 2 but you get the idea

8)

George

edited to fix tabs

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 4

I may have to pick up some 8408's then, but I also love my W&N S7's... hmm decisions.... 

Can compare the details in the same place as above,,,,

George

Comparing in pictures and with measurements isn't as good as hands-on. Being able to get the tactile sensations of the flow and snap of a brush is something that can't be emulated in pictures. I like to hear first-hand accounts like what Mel said about the snap and how extremely sharp the points are, this is what I look for before buying a new brush.

• Like 2

I think I am going to have to start arguing that saliva, as a natural degreaser and enzymatic digestive aid, is hell on delicate brushes.

So don't put your GOOD brushes in your mouth either.

Hasn't done anything to my brushes.

:devil:

• Like 2

I think I am going to have to start arguing that saliva, as a natural degreaser and enzymatic digestive aid, is hell on delicate brushes.

I have tried the "olive oil cleaning and conditioning" on my brushes last weekend... haven't had a chance to use them again yet.

• Like 1

I have tried the "olive oil cleaning and conditioning" on my brushes last weekend... haven't had a chance to use them again yet.

I have, on occasion, used conditioner on my brushes to help keep them healthy. (The kind normally used on human hair.)

• Like 2

I have, on occasion, used conditioner on my brushes to help keep them healthy. (The kind normally used on human hair.)

I use brush soap that can be left on to condition them. Then you just rinse them before using.

I use olive opil to clean my makeup brushes. It really breaks down the goop that gets in them and helps they stay soft. People think our paints are bad for you, they should see what is in the makeup I put all over my skin.....

• Like 3

I use brush soap that can be left on to condition them. Then you just rinse them before using.

I use olive opil to clean my makeup brushes. It really breaks down the goop that gets in them and helps they stay soft. People think our paints are bad for you, they should see what is in the makeup I put all over my skin.....

*Doesn't own any makeup*

/Makes notes anyway

• Like 2

I do all that too, but can't help trying new things. As an Engineer, it is my sworn duty to disassemble, put together and try out everything I can.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Was just taking a closer look at the brushes I bought recently, a Raphael 8404 #1 & 0, and Da Vinci Maestro #1 & 0, and the Da Vinci #1 is smaller than the Raphael 0! Guess it just goes to show that there is a great difference in brushes in between even high Quality Brushes!

The other interesting thing I find is that I use the Raphael #1 for a lot of things on larger areas, but as soon as small detail is required, I go to the Da Vinci 0. I really have not used the other 2 much, except for testing them out. And I rarely use the W&N 10/0 at all anymore, as the Da Vinci 0 has been able to do almost everything that I need now....

The Moral of the story:

Spend a few dollars for GOOD brushes now, you won't regret it!

8)

George

• Like 3