Let's talk about paint brushes

I visited Toronto last week, and was totally bummed out when I stopped off at Curry's Art Store on Yonge St. (my go-to shop there) this time around.  I can usually find whatever I need when I visit, but they had absolutely squat for brushes.  I think it was the first time I ever left the place empty handed.  Booooo!!!

The Egg 

• Like 1
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are "these good ones"?   No. They're all mediocre brushes at best.   Good brushes are made of Kolinsky Sable, by a very few manufacturers: Winsor & Newton, Raphael, da Vinci, and arguably a co

Nothing to add other than what Cash says, "Life is too short for cheap brushes!"   I also like sizes 1 & 2 for both W&N and Raphael.

There are many things that pull individuals towards one type of brush over another.  Some of this has to do with style, preference on hair length but mostly with the way one paints.   The benefits o

Posted Images

Not really a brush but there's brush in it. What's the difference between the Iwata High Performance Plus C and Iwata Eclipse HP CS? There's only a 10$ price difference but its hard to tell if it's the same brush or different class of brush.

Looking at my go to airbrush store, The difference is, as far as I can see, is the Eclipse HPCS has a .35mm Nozzle, while the HPC+ has a .3mm Nozzle. Doesn't sound like much, But  I would recommend the smaller nozzle. In our hobby, we are looking for the ability to paint fine detail, such as it is, with an airbrush.

A .3mm nozzle is what I have on my Grex Genesis, and it works great for everything I need.

I would also suggest getting the HP-SB+. The side feed is my preference as I find that Not having to look around the paint reservoir a good thing. Also being able to take the cup off allows a little further cleaning ability. It also has a .2mm nozzle for fine detail, and you can change the size of the paint cup. You need to pay for the other cups, but...

8)

George

• Like 2

I would add that I think they are two separate lines, so some investigation is probably required as well. And for what it is worth, as my experience, I would never again use my side-feed airbrush for fine detail, top-feed cup is much better for just dropping a drop (pun intended) in there and paint. 

So, different tastes  :blush:

Edit: From Google-searching the net:

From Finescale forums:

" I'd imagine that the cs model is a side feed where the c is a gravity feed maybe, but don't bank on that guess. I much prefer gravity feed models because you can spray with much less air pressure, which means more control. They are easier to clean than a siphon feed also. Don't just count on my memory, which is occasionaly faulty, check their site out. "

--> I agree with this in principle, with very dilluted paint I go with very very low pressure.

"I would go with the Eclipse as it was designed for mediums like model paints. As hou_ge2000 alluded to, the HP-C is an illustration airbrush and would have trouble reliably pushing model paints through it's small needle and tip that were designed for finely ground pigment paints like watercolors, etc. "

So, I dunno.

Edited by Willen
  • Like 2

Oooooo I see now. I'll probably go for the eclipse then. If I need a smaller needle I think there's one for it that I could buy. Thanks guys. ^_^ The prices for midgrade airbrushes has been fluctuating so I was rechecking my options.

Did you see the PM?

8)

George

Oooooo I see now. I'll probably go for the eclipse then. If I need a smaller needle I think there's one for it that I could buy. Thanks guys. ^_^ The prices for midgrade airbrushes has been fluctuating so I was rechecking my options.

Did you see the PM?

8)

George

Ack, just noticed it. Got it at the same time as another one I think.

I visited Toronto last week, and was totally bummed out when I stopped off at Curry's Art Store on Yonge St. (my go-to shop there) this time around.  I can usually find whatever I need when I visit, but they had absolutely squat for brushes.  I think it was the first time I ever left the place empty handed.  Booooo!!!

The Egg 

Have you ever tried Deserres? They have a couple of stores in Toronto and it's *my* go-to store for art supplies when I travel in Quebec. This where I got my WN7, though not all the stores have them in stock, and they probably have them locked behind the counter.

I set up my compressor, still have to read up on how to configure it but I base coated the body of the DDS2 dragon. I love it so much. o_o How can I ever base coat anything any other way now? o_o  

For priming or large creatures it is indeed amazing. Then you start thinking about how long it would've been for you to do all that by brush... and nowhere near that smooth... and yes, airbrushes are a nice tool for what we want them. 

• Like 4

I set up my compressor, still have to read up on how to configure it but I base coated the body of the DDS2 dragon. I love it so much. o_o How can I ever base coat anything any other way now? o_o  

For priming or large creatures it is indeed amazing. Then you start thinking about how long it would've been for you to do all that by brush... and nowhere near that smooth... and yes, airbrushes are a nice tool for what we want them. 

What he said!

Takky would be lagging even further behind than she is without it!

8)

George

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just came back an hour ago from the art store where the WNS7 were on sale.

There was another brand of brushes on display with a sample brush/water color to try and they had a pot of rinse water right next to it. So I asked the salesman to try the size 1 WNS7 to see if would form a nice point. when I dipped it. It didn't. Or at least not satisfactory enough. So I tried the size 0, and it formed a nice point. SOLD!

I also believe these are the newer WNS7, as was discussed before (in another thread maybe), as the handles looked different than my size 00.

The art store also had some Raphael brushes, Kolinsky Gold sable, and they felt... odd. Handles were way too big.

• Like 3

Well, I went looking for a good brush discussion on the Reaper forums and I found just that! I am inspire to purchase a W&N S7 on amazon and give it a try! 

I'm currently using a Games & Gears Master Hybrid Brushes. My sister-n-law got me the set with the really neat looking brush stand. I would have say I have enjoyed them but there are some issues I think the other brushes may not have. I'm basing that off of reading different posts on the forum about taking care of, quality, etc. I'll let you guys be the judge if that is a brush thing or a Games & Gears brush thing.

1. Random wild hairs in the brushes. I have all but clipped them off by now.

2. The Great void: "Parting of the bristles." It's like the brushes say "No, I am at war with them" and the brush slips up the center evenly... It's crazy and I just have to get more paint or water on the brush to join them back together.

3. Small bits of hair... It has stopped now that I have been using them for a while.

Compared to what I was using, they are night and day, but now that I can afford it, I'm thinking of trying out a W&N.

Edited by Arc 724