Let's talk about paint brushes

While all brushes can have the issues you listed, they are particularly endemic to the Games & Gear brushes. Typically a brush won't split the point like that unless you have dried paint in the ferule that's keeping the bristles from coming back together properly. Small hairs breaking off is always a sign of a poor brush, you won't catch that from a higher quality Kolinsky unless its on its last legs, in which case you have probably long since delegated it to a basing brush. Random wild hairs are, again, usually the sign of an older brush that has seen a lot of use. While wild hairs can happen with a new brush its relatively rare on the quality brushes.

• Like 5
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I went looking for a good brush discussion on the Reaper forums and I found just that! I am inspire to purchase a W&N S7 on amazon and give it a try! 

I'm currently using a Games & Gears Master Hybrid Brushes. My sister-n-law got me the set with the really neat looking brush stand. I would have say I have enjoyed them but there are some issues I think the other brushes may not have. I'm basing that off of reading different posts on the forum about taking care of, quality, etc. I'll let you guys be the judge if that is a brush thing or a Games & Gears brush thing.

1. Random wild hairs in the brushes. I have all but clipped them off by now.

2. The Great void: "Parting of the bristles." It's like the brushes say "No, I am at war with them" and the brush slips up the center evenly... It's crazy and I just have to get more paint or water on the brush to join them back together.

3. Small bits of hair... It has stopped now that I have been using them for a while.

Compared to what I was using, they are night and day, but now that I can afford it, I'm thinking of trying out a W&N.

I have a couple of W&N 10/0 that I use for very fiddly work. I bought them on sale at a little hole in the wall art shop, and got them dirt cheap. (1 is still unused!)

I recently bought a pair of Raphael 8404s and a pair of DaVinci Maestros, a 0 and a 1 of each.

OMG Heaven at the end of a stick!

They are a little cheaper than W&N, so if that is a consideration, you might look to them.

One other thing I have noticed about my painting, is that since I got the new brushes, my brush control has improved immeasurably! This carries over with any brush I use now, even stuff I use just for basing.

Another thing is that my confidence in my own skill has soared. I will now blithely do things using a size 1 brush that I would have sweated bullets over with the 10/0 before...

8)

George

I posted this before I think, but not on this thread, so

How do you know The Gods love their painters? It is because Russian Weasels don't have bare Baboon bottoms!

IamWeasel.gif

IRbaboon.gif

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 4

I have recently given the Escoda Reserva 1212 a try. Been using it for more than a month now and I am loving it. Bought a few more and the quality looks to be consistent. I know it had a bad review here a couple of years ago and I did find another bad review online. But both reviews had one thing in common, they were purchased from the same store. The ones I got were comparable to my Series 7.

I immediately ordered a few more. :D

• Like 2

I just got a Windsor & Newton Series 7 #0 brush from Fealron in my Secret Sophie box, and I have to say I have been using it almost exclusively  over my Da Vinci Maestro 0. A little more belly, a little longer, just seems to work great for me.

I recently commented on brush care in a pm, and thought I would pass something on:

The big thing with brush care is not to let the paint get more than 1/2 way up the bristles. You need to keep paint from getting into the ferrule, as that is what causes a brush to 'splay' out.

Get some good brush soap.

I use 'The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver

At least once a week I clean any brush I used with this stuff, and if I do get paint (OR INK!) too far up the bristles, I rinse with water, and clean with the brush preserver right then.

Another thing I learned from an old girl friend who was a professional artist, Don't store your brushes vertically with the bristles up. Any liquid at all that is left in the bristles after cleaning will seep down into the ferrule with the same splaying effect. Think of the way stalactites and stalagmites form, 1 drip at a time. This can kill your brushes just as surely as getting paint in the ferrule and not cleaning it.

Store your brushes  horizontally, with the bristles protected. I put the little tube back on the ends of my good brushes when I am done, though I know that some companies discourage this, but it works for me, as I am careful to not catch hairs when I put them back on.

Sorry for the ramble!

George

• Like 8

I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a Da Vinci and a Winsor & Newton series 7, along with some cleaner from Amazon. I think a Raphael and a Rosemary & Co will be the next two to try. Hopefully out of those 4 I'll find one of these nicer brush lines that I think is worth it to me and that I can use going forward. 

I really hope that I have as a great an experience with these as all of you recommending them. :)  Almost anything is probably better than my current cheap and splaying craft store starter kit brushes.  

• Like 1

I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a Da Vinci and a Winsor & Newton series 7, along with some cleaner from Amazon. I think a Raphael and a Rosemary & Co will be the next two to try. Hopefully out of those 4 I'll find one of these nicer brush lines that I think is worth it to me and that I can use going forward. 

I really hope that I have as a great an experience with these as all of you recommending them. :)  Almost anything is probably better than my current cheap and splaying craft store starter kit brushes.  

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what they do for you...

• Like 2

What is this 'Pink Soap' mentioned everywhere, and where can I get it?

My best brush is the Army Painter Wargamer:Insane Detail. i'm not certain how it compares to the W&N S7 or the 8404 #0 brushes?

(Rank amateur... )

I like the triangular profile of the handle, though. Just needs a bit of duct tape so that it's not so slippery.

• Like 2

Pink soap is, I believe, the brand name of a type of artist soap.

Any store that sells art supplies /artists oil paints etc, should have some form of brush soap.

I use 'The Master's' myself, and find that it works quite well.

05704-3050-2ww-m.jpg

05702-1001-1-2ww-m.jpg

George

The river site, Blick's etc should have them online, shipping might be pricey to Norge though....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 5

What is this 'Pink Soap' mentioned everywhere, and where can I get it?

My best brush is the Army Painter Wargamer:Insane Detail. i'm not certain how it compares to the W&N S7 or the 8404 #0 brushes?

(Rank amateur... )

I like the triangular profile of the handle, though. Just needs a bit of duct tape so that it's not so slippery.

You would like the Da Vinci series 34 then. They have the same style handle.

• Like 3

W&N series 7 was on sale all over the place on amazon I think. Someone posted on the FB about getting a set for a steal.

Random tip I read: when you have a fly away/bent hair on your paintbrush use nail clippers to clip it off. YOu can see exactly how close to the rest of the brush you are and there is less room for error.

• Like 2

You might have seen my post a couple weeks ago. Someone on Reddit posted a link, I freaked out and posted it on FB. When I purchased, there were only 2 left in stock! It was a 4 brush gift set for $20. Even though it looked a little suspicious with the price and the fact that I won't be getting it 'til sometime in March or April, I only have 4 brushes. So even if these turn out bad, then I've got spares for basecoating. ::):

I know good brushes and cleaner help, but I've been hesitant to use the W&N S7 I got for Christmas because I'm pretty sure I'm holding the brush wrong or something. Don't wanna ruin it like I'm ruining my cheapos D:

• Like 1