Let's talk about paint brushes

Mori, my W&N brush likes to split into two after even gentle use, it was the first kolinsky brush I bought and I didn't really know what I was doing. I've since bought a few more brushes, Rosemary & Co plus one daVinci. The W&N is the only one with this behavior, ergo I think it's a dud. I now use it for base coating since it's still better at that than a lesser brush. 

That's the behavior that I see with my W&N brushes which is why I stopped using them after I tried the Da Vinci Maestro's.

Ron

• Like 2
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are "these good ones"?   No. They're all mediocre brushes at best.   Good brushes are made of Kolinsky Sable, by a very few manufacturers: Winsor & Newton, Raphael, da Vinci, and arguably a co

Nothing to add other than what Cash says, "Life is too short for cheap brushes!"   I also like sizes 1 & 2 for both W&N and Raphael.

There are many things that pull individuals towards one type of brush over another.  Some of this has to do with style, preference on hair length but mostly with the way one paints.   The benefits o

Posted Images

Bleh, I forgot to take photos because I... Well I got distracted by a bird. :lol: I'm still trying to figure out the species, it was gorgeous!

But yes, the brush. It splits into 5-7 perfectly formed tips all the way down to the metal, they'd be great if they were each on different brush handles! I'll give a couple other brands a try - our new apartment is much closer to Texas Art Supply. I've got a list from the forums that I copied into my notebook, I'll bring that with me so I can get some good ones.

• Like 2

Try pointing the tip with brush soap and letting the soap dry in the bristles. Rinse it the next evening and do it again for a few days and see if you can 'train' the tip back to the way it should be....

PM in bound Mori

George

• Like 3

My Davinci and Winsor & Newton arrived and I am suitably impressed.  I have been trying to be careful with them, but I have used some metallic paints.

In any case, I'm convinced that it's worth having a good brush for the primary work, and also, definitely worth keeping the junk brushes around for base coats, primer, sealer, etc... 

I definitely still want to try the Rosemary & Co. 

It's amazing to me that the size 1 and 2 quality brushes were as good at getting precise paint placement as the 0 from my junk set. I am still not good at eyes, but the one mini with a face that I finished so far with the new brushes has some of the best eyes I've ever done (not saying much!) and I think it's mostly due to the brush having enough of a point and carrying the right amount of paint more easily.  

I am still lacking confidence in my use of the brush cleaner, but I am using it and hopefully I'll get to the point where I am sure I'm helping the brush and not afraid I'm inadvertently hurting it. :)  I've never used a cleaner before, only ever rinsed in plain water.  

Don't worry about using the brush cleaner, do what everyone else does, practice first!

Take one of your old brushes,

<snip>

Hope this encourages you to clean your brushes!

George and Alsnia

Thanks! That's basically what I've done, although I was lathering in the soap. I do shave with a brush, so I I know how to get a lather in a few different ways, but the kind of brush is different. :)  One is intended to have a point and the other is intended to be big and round. The pictures helped! I'll definitely try to clean up some of my old brushes too.  

• Like 2

The one and only WN series 7 I have splits. It kind of put me off the brand. I do enjoy my Raphs and Rosemary. I've decided I prefer the Raphs 8408 over the 8404. The difference in how long they hold the point is quite noticeable. My size 0 8404's have worn out very quickly but my size 1 and 2 8408's are just as sharp as when I purchased them 2 1/2 years ago.

• Like 3

My Series 7s are about 8+ years old, but I haven't painted much in that time. Currently using one for highlighting and fiddly bits and though the tip might splay out a bit at times, a dip in water or paint, drag against my thumb, and point is as sharp as ever and I'm back to trying to trace fiddly bits with no splay.

You really need to make sure to keep your brushes not just clean but conditioned. If the hairs dry out, they split. Any soap will cause drying.

When my hair conditioner runs too low to get anything useful out in the shower, I move the bottle to my paint area. After cleaning, rinse all soap off and apply conditioner. Leave on, form point. Rinse before using.

Some of my brushes are over 20 years old (even the synthetics). I still use them all. I think my oldest, a Testors blunt tipped nylon, is about 30+ years old and still looks new. Same with the hogs hair oil brushes I use for removing dust particles.

Funnily, it's the Citadel brushes that are in the worst condition though they're all treated the same.

I have a fan brush in poor condition because Blaze likes to chew on it. <_< Caught her yesterday knocking books off my bookshelf, then chewing on that fan brush, then got on the windowsill to walk around to my paintrack which she got on top of (4-tier lazy susan), thus knocking off a bunch of paint, so she could get on top of my 6+ foot tall bookshelf (of mini supplies) where I have breakable knick-knacks. Dragged her elf down, tossed her out, and shut the door. :grr:

I'd get a spray bottle but there's computer and other electronic equipment in the area as well as my artwork and pastels. Only wet area is my painting area. :unsure:

• Like 4

I may still be able to use the brush for interesting drybrushing techniques/patterns, since the bristles are no longer all the same length.

Most of the rest of my brushes have the clear tubes on them for protection. May need to consider a different storage method. I like my current caddy because I have them organized by brand, size, and type, so I can just turn it and grab what I want.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 2

I will be doing my best to keep my brushes conditioned and taken care of. I was just really thrown off that my fancy brush started going crazy the first time I used it, so I was thinking it was user error. It might still be, we'll find out when I pester some folks at PAX. :;):

• Like 1

I will be doing my best to keep my brushes conditioned and taken care of. I was just really thrown off that my fancy brush started going crazy the first time I used it, so I was thinking it was user error. It might still be, we'll find out when I pester some folks at PAX. :;):

I'll bring one of my Da Vinci's that you can try for a comparison.  I will suspiciously watch you like a hawk though.  :;):

Ron

• Like 3

I'll bring one of my Da Vinci's that you can try for a comparison.  I will suspiciously watch you like a hawk though.   :;):

Ron

Thank you so much! I'll hopefully have one of the Rosemary ones by then to test out as well. I plan on bringing my hydra, but I'll bring something else that's got a large, smooth surface so I lessen my chances of hurting the brush. :lol:

• Like 2

Heads up,

I just ordered a set of 4 W&N series 7 brushes (size 0,1,2,3) from Ken Bromley Art Supplies for half the price of anywhere I could find them in the US with shipping.

I was pretty floored how cheap they were.

Found some a couple weeks ago on Amazon (the same sizes) for $18, got 2 packs. Just checked back and they are no longer available for this insane price. 

• Like 4