Let's talk about paint brushes

Heads up,

I just ordered a set of 4 W&N series 7 brushes (size 0,1,2,3) from Ken Bromley Art Supplies for half the price of anywhere I could find them in the US with shipping.

I was pretty floored how cheap they were.

Found some a couple weeks ago on Amazon (the same sizes) for $18, got 2 packs. Just checked back and they are no longer available for this insane price. 

Wow, that is insane. I paid about $45, which was still half the price of anything else I could find.

Edited by kerthnk
  • Like 2
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are "these good ones"?   No. They're all mediocre brushes at best.   Good brushes are made of Kolinsky Sable, by a very few manufacturers: Winsor & Newton, Raphael, da Vinci, and arguably a co

Nothing to add other than what Cash says, "Life is too short for cheap brushes!"   I also like sizes 1 & 2 for both W&N and Raphael.

There are many things that pull individuals towards one type of brush over another.  Some of this has to do with style, preference on hair length but mostly with the way one paints.   The benefits o

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Well, I tried the W&N Series 7 Miniature size 0 that I got the other day, and the point was fine, did all that I needed it ti do.

The problem with it is that it has no 'belly' to hold a reservoir of paint. I was constantly having to dip the brush to get more, wick it off etc....

I guess for doing eyes, gems, and other small spots, it would work fine, but for anything larger than that, a regular Series 7 is the way to go...

Just my opinion....

George

I did not try the #1 or #2 Miniature, but I would guess that they would work the same general way....

I will likely try to treat them as 2 or 3 sizes smaller and see if they work for those types of jobs....

I am bouncing back and forth right now, For larger jobs I am using my Raphael 8404 #1, for fine detail W&N Series 7 3/0.

Most work being done with my W&N Series 7 0.

I am still trying to make myself use the larger size brushes with fine points that will hold more paint, as opposed to the smaller sized brushes I am used to using....

George

The smallest brush I have is a davinci 10/0 and it holds its shape very well indeed I also use a Windsor and Newton 3/0 and a 0 both of which perform incredably well. With these 3 brushes I am good to go

With the exception of cheep brushes for drybrushing or base coating large areas

The smallest brush I own is a 0, anything smaller is just not going to work for me since they don't hold enough paint. I'm in a dry, high altitude environment and the paint can literally dry on a brush that small before I get it to the miniature. Its, 0, 1 and 2 for me!

Learn to paint the smallest detail with the largest brush you can.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 2

I don't think any pro painter uses anything smaller than a 0 in any line.

"Any" is too big a word. I've seen videos of painters using very small brushes (like Kirill Kanaev in the PB vid for example); you can also perhaps argue that Jen's brush which shed hairs and now is a very slim, no belly brush is comparable to a multiple-zero brush; and a lot enjoy the W&N miniatures which are considerably smaller.

I think they are tools and some people feel more comfortable with small brushes. The advice of "go big" is always good advice but it should in no way create the mindset that you cannot be a pro with small brushes...

• Like 2

Just beginning in this insanity, really, so can't speak for anyone else...

I'm guessing that a key difference is in how people hold their brushes.

Assuming that they have the same tip, then if you hold it close to perpendicular to the piece you're painting, then you can use a larger brush than if you hold it at a sharper angle.

Just adding my $2 of confusion...

(Yes, I know, it was once $0.02, but inflation and all that... )

I now have a selection of Army PAinter 'Warpainter' brushes, Raphael 8404(no 8408 yet), W&N S7, Davinci S10 and may get hold of a couple of WAMP brushes(which I understand may be made by Rosemary&Co?. Thinking of the stipling and the blending brushes and possibly a detail brush of some sort), and currently, I seem to favour the W&N brushes. Not that I have been using them all that much, yet...

Edited by Gadgetman!

As I said, I am trying to use the larger sizes, I am having to adjust the way I paint due to the belly of the brush either side swipping another part of the mini, or blocking my view....

I guess it will just take some time to adjust to these things....

George

As I said, I am trying to use the larger sizes, I am having to adjust the way I paint due to the belly of the brush either side swipping another part of the mini, or blocking my view....

I guess it will just take some time to adjust to these things....

George

It's just another tool, get used to the brushes with a bit bigger belly and you'll love them.

• Like 1