Let's talk about paint brushes

I wish I could get on board with the W&N and Da Vinci brushes, but the four I purchased (two of each brand) did not survive a handful of paint sessions. I'm not rough with them nor am I tender with the brushes, yet, the brush that is lasting for me is a Citadel brush. Reaper's and P3 didn't last long either.

Did I just have bad luck with the W&N and DV one? Are there any places that guarantees the quality of the brushes? :D

With regard to Citadel brushes, I had the opposite experience.  My Citadel basecoat and detail brush did not last long at all which annoyed my greatly given their cost.

• Like 3
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a RMS #1 that I've had for almost 4 years now. It has held up well. I also have a RMS #2 that is doing fine. In addition to those I have some Rosemary & Co. and W&N #1 that work well. 

I don't believe in brush snobbery; in fact, I find it pretentious. I'm not saying that, in general, some manufacturers make handfuls of brushes that aren't generally of better quality.

All I'm saying is that Army Painter brushes have worked really well, and lasted long for me, even if every-so-often one of them starts out a little bristly. For the most part, those are my favorites because they don't cost an arm and a leg, and they last longer - for me, anyway - than P3, Reaper, Citadel, and all those cheap things I grab up from Michaels.

As to cheap brushes from Michaels, when you're Bruunwald you need them. Because Bruunwald is not always kind to brushes, and if Bruunwald had to use exclusively Winsor & Newton, Bruunwald would soon be homeless, as the cost of replacing them would quickly spiral out of control.

As to the aforementioned W&N, I finally got some. I have yet to even take them out of the packaging. Because inevitably, I will hurt them. That's just how I roll.

My personal feeling is that while the "best" tools can certainly - in many cases - propel an otherwise masterful artist into the stratosphere, the notion that somebody who is great is somehow less great if he doesn't have the best all the time is a pretentious load. I played probably two dozen gigs before I got my Les Paul. Until then I made my cheapass guitar sound like god. Because I WAS a god. And even after I acquired better guitars, I still played the cheap thing. Because I made it sound freakin' great.

But more to the point, define "best." It's very possible for a great artist to become so accustomed to the tools he has at hand, that he actually sucks when he gets his hands on the supposed "best." So... no. Snobbery no. Advice, yes. Yes, advice. Snobbery, no. Life has other plans. Your certitude will not stand.

I have spoken!

• Like 6

I don't believe in brush snobbery; in fact, I find it pretentious. I'm not saying that, in general, some manufacturers make handfuls of brushes that aren't generally of better quality.

All I'm saying is that Army Painter brushes have worked really well, and lasted long for me, even if every-so-often one of them starts out a little bristly. For the most part, those are my favorites because they don't cost an arm and a leg, and they last longer - for me, anyway - than P3, Reaper, Citadel, and all those cheap things I grab up from Michaels.

As to cheap brushes from Michaels, when you're Bruunwald you need them. Because Bruunwald is not always kind to brushes, and if Bruunwald had to use exclusively Winsor & Newton, Bruunwald would soon be homeless, as the cost of replacing them would quickly spiral out of control.

As to the aforementioned W&N, I finally got some. I have yet to even take them out of the packaging. Because inevitably, I will hurt them. That's just how I roll.

My personal feeling is that while the "best" tools can certainly - in many cases - propel an otherwise masterful artist into the stratosphere, the notion that somebody who is great is somehow less great if he doesn't have the best all the time is a pretentious load. I played probably two dozen gigs before I got my Les Paul. Until then I made my cheapass guitar sound like god. Because I WAS a god. And even after I acquired better guitars, I still played the cheap thing. Because I made it sound freakin' great.

But more to the point, define "best." It's very possible for a great artist to become so accustomed to the tools he has at hand, that he actually sucks when he gets his hands on the supposed "best." So... no. Snobbery no. Advice, yes. Yes, advice. Snobbery, no. Life has other plans. Your certitude will not stand.

I have spoken!

I don't think anyone is saying you need a good brush to get good results - at least, I've never seen that stated here.

I think what people are saying is that if you spend money on a good brush, you can spend more time focusing on the art instead of focusing on the brush.

Edit - Not that I would know.  I'm still using cheap brushes!  ::D:

Edited by Jokemeister
  • Like 4

I'm saying that better brushes elevate your work, the fine details are easier, the paint flows more smoothly and evenly, they will make your work look nicer

How do I know this? I thought the same way that a brush is a brush until I tried my W&N S7. I saw a marked difference in my work and never looked back, it was so much easier to obtain the same result with less work and stress. Could I do the same with cheap brushes now? Probably, but it'd require a lot more time and effort to achieve.

You know the saying, "you get what you pay for"? Yup, cheap brushes are cheap. Good brushes are expensive, but they last so much longer if you take care of them.

Is this pretentious? Nah, it's being realistic IMO. I save money over a little time with 1 $12-15 brush over a few packs of $5 brushes that will fail in a few painting sessions each. The cheap brushes certainly have their place in the hobby with base coating, dry brushing, painting bases, and mixing paints. Fine detail work tho, give me a nice tool for the job so that I don't get frustrated.

In all things tho, YMMV.

• Like 10

I'm something of an elitist because I don't see a problem wanting good things.

I like my W&N, but I've become something of a convert to Rosemary & Co. I imagine those WAMP brushes will be quite nice, too.

edit: to echo ub3r, I'm still using my original 1 & 2 W&Ns, though they're not for detail work anymore as they've lost their finest tip. 3 years and they're still good brushes for all but detail work! Painting my first mini in 2011 when I had a false start in the hobby: several cheap brushes, none worked well and they're all garbage and cost more total than the 2 W&Ns (and the Rosemary that I'll get a good year of detail out of).

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 8

The one R&C series 33 I have doesn't hold a point very well. I've tried a few times to get it to shape up, but now it's just for base coating and other stuff that I don't care about for finer detail work.

The one R&C series 33 I have doesn't hold a point very well. I've tried a few times to get it to shape up, but now it's just for base coating and other stuff that I don't care about for finer detail work.

That was my experience trying WN 7 brushes, the R&C 33 and 323 worked out much better.

Artist's Loft brushes are cheap brushes, make no mistake. But they still hold a very nice point. After some hard use though, the tip does tend to curl.

They're cheap enough I don't mind using them with stuff that'd wreck my nice brushes, like PearlEx pigments suspended in Future.

The only thing is their sizing is all over the place.

• Like 2

I like to think of it this way. Working on any project, painting, sculpting, cooking, or anything really, I don't want the quality of my tools to negatively impact the process or results of my efforts. So I don't mind spending extra for quality equipment. As far as brushes go, it's been a learning journey. And I'm still finalizing my conclusions. Just yesterday I did pick up a package of craft brushes. The Wapple recommend #8 green handle rounds 12 for $5. With the value combo of Bones, it's very liberating to sling some paint quickly blocking in rough color thoughts and values. Then going back and getting tighter and tighter with my better brushes.

• Like 9

I always bought cheap, hobby lobby brushes, and I probably still will from time to time. But when I tell you that the angels sang when Kuro let me try out his raphael 8404, I am not joking. I had no idea how much of a difference it would make. I bought 3 that day. Do I still use my synthetics? Sure, for base coating, etc, you can't beat the price and you can just chunk them if you want.

I have been converted.

• Like 9

I use all sorts of cheap Michaels junk for priming, washes, basecoats... glue.  But damn, I bought a W&N S7 size 00 and size 1 about 2 years back, and I haven't looked back.  The coverage is better, they don't streak like synthetics do, they don't curl, and the paint stays wet longer.  The only challenge is finding the damn things for a reasonable price in Canada.

• Like 6