Let's talk about paint brushes

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding brush quality, a good tool will not make you better, a bad tool however can make you worse.

I've recently switched to W&N Series 7's and will likely try some Da Vinci when I next buy a brush. I predominatly work in a size 1 and 0 and tend to prefer the 0. Previously I used mostly Citadel, Hobbygames, Humbrol, Otto and Senator as those were what were available at my local hobby store on various occasions.

Switching to W&N is one of two things that I wished I had started doing years earlier. The other is using a wet palette.

I really like this quote about having a good tool making you better. I have been using Michaels brushes for some time now and have just bought my first DaVinci size 1. Thus far, I do like it but am thinking of trying a size 2 as well. I am very new to this but really feel that the craft paint I have been buying and the cheapy brushes (I have already fully ruined 4 of them of varies sizes) are really hindering me in learning.

• Like 7

the craft paints, and cheap brushes are probably slowing you down a bit. You will, as you gain experience, find there is so much more you can do with better paint and brushes. That said, for the novice, they work just fine. I hardly used anything else, except for some Games Workshop metals and inks. Not until I ordered my first, of the sadly out of production, Learn to paint Kits did I ever use miniature paints, and even then it wasn't until a fair bit later that I made the switch completley

• Like 6

Wamps:

I love dem. I love dem hard. Wooooooooooooooot much Love.

Good to know. How do they stack up against the Raphs?

Yeah i use a Raph #2 for everything. I do a bunch of glazing so I like being able to hold more in my brush.

Good brushes have such a nice sharp tip that even the #1 and #3's can still be used for detailing.

QFT  

OK, I am excited!

Just ordered 2 Davinci 10s, and 2 Raohael 8404s, 1 each size 0 & 1.

Delivery expected 8/27...

But since they charged me tax, I am hoping they get here sooner!

8)

George

Your going to love them. I've never tried the davincis, can't wait to find out what you think of them. :-)
  • Like 1

Wamps:

I love dem. I love dem hard. Wooooooooooooooot much Love.

Good to know. How do they stack up against the Raphs?

Yeah i use a Raph #2 for everything. I do a bunch of glazing so I like being able to hold more in my brush.

Good brushes have such a nice sharp tip that even the #1 and #3's can still be used for detailing.

QFT  

OK, I am excited!

Just ordered 2 Davinci 10s, and 2 Raohael 8404s, 1 each size 0 & 1.

Delivery expected 8/27...

But since they charged me tax, I am hoping they get here sooner!

8)

George

Your going to love them. I've never tried the davincis, can't wait to find out what you think of them. :-)

Will let you know! :;,;:

8)

George

• Like 2

This might be an unpopular opinion but I consider Kolinsky mandatory for miniature painting.

:rock:

In which universe is that an unpopular opinion?  :;):

Welcome to the forums, BTW.

The universe populated by little weasels that are about to get their tails turned into paint brushes.

This has the be the funniest thing I have read on these forums thus far

• Like 1

Just for cost comparison, I went to the local art store yesterday and found that W&N series 7 run about 30% more than DaVinci Maestro 10 brushes.

While there though, I did find out that there will be a sale in October in which the entire store will be 25% off... 

I also ended up with a new DaVinci size 0. (I just had to, it looked so lonely since it was the last one they had)  :)

• Like 4

OH CURSE ALL OF YOU AND YOUR RAPHAEL'S AND DA VINCI'S!

I just test 'drove' my new Raphael 8404 size 0 last night, and I came very very close to throwing every other brush I own into the garbage! The point, the way it held paint, It was incredible! I was enthralled! Stayed up WAAY late painting with it.

I begin to understand how the whole wet blending / layering thing can really and truly work for me! I think my painting is about to take another step up...

Oh where was all this good info 30 years ago when I started painting???

So much wasted paint, so many messy minis....

(So many minis to get stripped....)

Thanks for all the great info all!

8)

George

• Like 11

You are welcome.

As we say, life is too short for crap brushes. Get the nice ones and enjoy painting MORE.

Oh I am! and I will!

Can't wait to use them with the Scale 75 paints.....

It is also forcing me into a whole new way of painting.... I have to quit so many old habits....

8)

George

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 3

OH CURSE ALL OF YOU AND YOUR RAPHAEL'S AND DA VINCI'S!

I just test 'drove' my new Raphael 8404 size 0 last night, and I came very very close to throwing every other brush I own into the garbage! The point, the way it held paint, It was incredible! I was enthralled! Stayed up WAAY late painting with it.

I begin to understand how the whole wet blending / layering thing can really and truly work for me! I think my painting is about to take another step up...

Oh where was all this good info 30 years ago when I started painting???

So much wasted paint, so many messy minis....

(So many minis to get stripped....)

Thanks for all the great info all!

8)

George

Yes first the forums then the WORLD! Shall bow down to the superiorinessness of the weasel butt fur brush. Mwahahahahahaha...ha...ha.....ha.......ha.........ha. <coughs, clears throat>

Uh, good to hear.

• Like 2

'snip'

Yes first the forums then the WORLD! Shall bow down to the superiorinessness of the weasel butt fur brush. Mwahahahahahaha...ha...ha.....ha.......ha.........ha. <coughs, clears throat>

Uh, good to hear.

Oh it's not the weasel butt fur, it's the brush type size etc. The combination of the brush's ability to hold enough paint and the super tip and duration between loadings that is making the difference. 

I have been using Windsor & Newton Series 7 size 10/0 for detailing for over 10 years, care to guess how often I need to dip it in paint / clean and point it while painting a single color?

And you know something else?

They TASTE better!

8)

George

• Like 2

I'm currently using a Princeton Size 1 Kolinsky Sable brush. It's made in Germany. It was a few dollars cheaper than the S7 I usually buy, so I figured I would give it a try. When it came in the mail it had one hair that was half again as long as the rest. I trimmed it back. It has a bit smaller of a belly than a S7 or a Rosemary 22, and much smaller than the RMS. It's slightly longer than the S7. It has an amazing point, and works wonderfully for fine detail. So far it seems very springy. I can't speak to the longevity, but I'm fairly pleased so far. For $11 I'm not complaining.

I'm still using my Rosemary & Co. series 33. In a ear of painting, I've only damaged 1 brush enough to not use it for details. I've given away many of the others I've bought so other can try them out. I even have a custom travel brush they made for me and I haven't gone through one of those yet. My flgs has WNS7's in stock gor about $15-20. I may try one just to see if there is a noticable difference, but for the money, I'll stick with my rosemarys for now.

• Like 1