Pochi

Noob here, please be gentle! (Pic heavy)

Wow!  Love your colours!  

I especially love your wizard - he looks really cool!

• Like 1

I especially like when you've done work on the bases and that you've tried different looks for them. They look quite good.

• Like 1

Those faces are really, really good. Only advice I can give is to thin your paint a little, and boost your highlights to be brighter.

• Like 1

What?! You want special treatment for being a noob? I tell you something, I'll just rip your sore, whiny...
oh wait... you're actually pretty good. :;):

I like most that elfy ranger girl, beautiful warm mossy greens in there and you got the eyes just right.

Suggestions?

With Reaper minis, please share the shop SKU and maybe original name.

And you could apply a coat of matt varnish to reduce the glossyness.

Really good job, keep it up!

• Like 1

Ooo! Mouslings! *yoink!*

:ph34r:

Oh, um... sorry, it was kind of a reflex action :huh: *puts back*

Your minis look nice. I especially like your mouslings ^_^ and your treasure pile there. The colour scheme you chose for the minotaur and bugbear are neat. ^_^

• Like 2

I like the Mousling ranger and the gnomes the most.

Also the minotaur is pretty cool.

Ohh the troll is nice too..

Pretty good stuff.

Best way to post is a topic for each mini /group.

name the sku and name if Reaper or the manufacturer and the minis name for others.

That way it will be easier to look up a certain mini.

Welcome aboard, this is a vicious bloodthirsty  friendly and helpful crowd.

• Like 3

Thank you all. I almost didn't post because once I saw them big, it magnified stuff that didn't look as nice as when I hold it.

Basing is fun but I can see where it would be easy for me to go overboard. I found some little bases with outdoorsy texture (logs, pebbles, etc) and I used for the Hyrekia model. They don't have much flat surface so I either need a model with a small built on base to glue on or I need to figure out how to remove the mini from the base they come on and put them on. Haven't been brave enough to try that yet.

Thank you for the compliments on the faces and eyes. Those are improving and it is 100% from following WIP's and reading the "how to's" and following the tips you all post. I haven't posted all of the figures I have painted and the first few faces' eyes didn't turn out so well. I think I am getting better with the eyes and usually only have to repaint one instead of both!

Highlights are something I am having trouble with. I try and usually don't like how it turned out so I paint the other color back over it. I am currently working on Josephine Locero # 02413 and figure with her dress and cloak, there are lots of areas for me to practice with highlights and shadows.

I have brush on gloss and matt varnishes and have tried using both. On some of the minis, I really like the gloss in person because I think it makes the colors pop but it sure doesn't photograph well. On some of the other minis, I did the matt varnish. On the cave troll and bugbear, I used a combination of both putting the glossy on eyes, mouthes, armor, and in the case of the troll his pustules! Are the spray varnishes better and should I always be using a matt varnish?

The bugbear has better contrast in person. He does have quite a bit of brown. I used the gem technique on him and was very pleased how they turned out. Can't wait to take him to my gaming group Friday! I tried freehanding an emrboidered design on Hyrekia's bodice. It turned out "ok". I am not sure how you guys do tiny little designs and tattoos. I am dying to try a tattoo on a figure!

The minotaur is painted to look like a Tauren from World of Warcraft. I am in love with mouselings and am anxiously awaiting the Bones II mouselings to hit the online shop!

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions and all of your forum posts of your own works! Suggestions, advice, and cc always welcome!

• Like 5

Varnish, depends on your taste of course.

I almost always use matt varnish, mostly spray ( cause it will also fix grass and sands). Sometimes brush on.

I only use gloss when I want something to look slimey or wet.

Browse through these forums, especially the painting and advice topic, there is a lot of information there useful to you.

Also topics about bases and removal of broccoli bases.

On youtube you can get a lot of info too, just google painting fantasy miniatures there and be surprised.

Keep having fun and show off your work.

And yes photographes are always harsher then real life.

We all struggle with that.

There are topics about that in shutterbug forum.

Also very helpful.

• Like 2

Well, I found a settings button that lets me see more topics! On the Shutterbug forum I only saw 5 topics. They were useful but then I discovered a "more than 30 days" button! Oh man, now I have more stuff to read and I have probably missed all kinds of good stuff on the rest of the forums as well! Ha!

I also like to go through the Inspiration Gallery photos. I will check out Youtube.

Good advice on the varnish and I honestly hadn't considered the spray being used over the sand/grass as well.

Still much to learn! But not tonight! (11 p.m. in Aussieland!) G'night all!

• Like 3