Silicon & Bones

haldir

Just curious if silicon glue (like the one in the long tube you use for sealing plumbing & bathroom projects) is compatible with Bones. While playing err assembling the Gelt. Cube I noticed some serious gaps on the sides that easily could be fixed with clear silicone. Plus, with the way it comes out it'd look allot better then superglue.

Thought Id ask first before experimenting with it.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sacrificed many, many miniatures in my time. When I turn in my melt its usually just piles of torsos. However, since I don't own anything but large bones and I would have to buy the silicon gel I'm not going to help. I don't see how it could possibly react to the Bones material anyway so I figure Randy has nothing to lose, but if it does become a pile of bubbling goo, I would suggest not trying it out on the G Cube first.

• Like 7

I've got a pile of Bones sprues at my desk and an open tube of goo that I used to seal around my bathroom sink.  I will try to remember to combine them and report back. 

Haldir, how does your cube fit together?  Mine seems to be a tad off and I'm wondering if it could handle being heated & cooled. 

• Like 3

It can handle being heated and cooled just fine, but unless you clamp the hell out of it while it cools you'll still have that pesky gap to deal with.  Mine has it in spades, and I simply painted the figure and left it as is - it's not overly noticeable the way I've painted mine.

But yeah - the Cube doesn't really fit together as well as the other figures with keyholed components do.

• Like 2

I was considering the glue stuff used to stick glass together, but I don't remember where to find it. Honestly, I don't even remember if it's an actual thing. I just vaguely remember something being mentioned about sticking clear mosaic tiles to clear glass during a mosaic course I took in college. Fun times.

Okay, I just stuck two bits of sprue together with DAP Kwik Seal Plus Premium Kitchen & Bath Adhesive Sealant.  Which I've got in white, and I have no idea if it comes in clear or not.  But it's super-sticky, takes 24+ hours to cure and washes up with water.  I can't find a list of the primary component, but I'm guessing it's got to be either latex or silicone or both.  The major downside I'm seeing so far is that in my bathroom where I originally used it, it still feels a little soft. 

Since the cube itself is a little bit cloudy due to the texturing on it, I'm probably just going to go with super-glue.  I might even use the small interior bit as a separate slime since it doesn't really want to fit inside the cube as well as I'd hoped. 

• Like 1