Hello all. So as the title suggests, I'm pretty new to painting and just started in December after getting back into DnD. I went overboard buying minis paints etc. In an effort to make my game better. I have painted a lot since then and wanted to sign in to the forums to thank you all for the tips and suggestions. They helped a lot. I paint for gaming and have tons to do (I have a box of reaper minis I havnt even opened yet because I have no room). I normally spend about 4 to 6 hours per mini. I'm not good or anything, but I learned a lot from coming here. I still have a long way to go, but I'm loving the ride!!

If anyone wants to read about my campaign I'm running, it's at jeffsdndcampaign.blogspot.com

I don't have a camera. I take horrible pictures with my phone. I'm going to do some research and find a decent camera to take mini photos. But from far away....Jk.

Thanks again folks!

• Like 12
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome and for tips on taking mini photos visit the shutterbug area. We have some really good photographers who are generally happy to answer questions and give tips on improving your picture quality.

Glad the forums are proving very helpful to you. I know I find them helpful as well, but need to utilize them more for that.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums! This is a rather safe, homey place on the Internet to ask for help, suggestions and even constructive criticism. Enjoy your stay, drinks are in the fridge, and don't be bashful - show us some of your work!

• Like 1

Actually my lair contains a fully staffed cafe and restraunt that is free to all forum members. But please keep in mind I that I request my kobolds be treated kindly. I may be a dragon, but I do take care of personal servants.

Seiously just have fun with it and enjoy the hobby

• Like 1

Welcome a-board! (Arrr!)

You don't actually need a super fancy camera to take decent pictures, just check to make sure it has a "Macro" setting (the flower icon) and make sure you have plenty of light and a good back ground. Doug, our resident photography expert, has contributed quite a lot to the photo section of the board. I suggest you check it out ^_^

My camera only cost around $100 (I think, it was a present, it may have been cheaper because Hubby got it during black Friday, but it's normalish price is around $100). So yeah, decent pictures, don't have to cost a lot. ^_^

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums! This is a rather safe, homey place on the Internet to ask for help, suggestions and even constructive criticism. Enjoy your stay, drinks are in the fridge, and don't be bashful - show us some of your work!

Probably one of the safest places on the internet. Welcome aboard!
  • Like 1

I don't have a camera. I take horrible pictures with my phone. I'm going to do some research and find a decent camera to take mini photos. But from far away....Jk.

A decent cell phone actually works pretty well for miniature photography if you do a couple of relatively simple things: Put light on the side toward the camera and use a gray background.

For more information, see this thread.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

• Like 1

My tips for beginners would be;

1. Washes are awesome.  If you don't want to spend on a lot of them at least try flesh on skin and brown on everything else.

2. Thin your paints.  They will be easier to work with and look better.  If they run obviously you went too thin.

3. Don't be afraid to highlight. If you don't know what color to use just use the same color with half to equal parts white. 

4. If you are near sighted try painting without your lenses in and holding it closer to your face.

5. Invest in paints and brushes made for miniatures.  Yes, some of the best painters use craft paints but some of the best drummers can rock a garbage can.  

Ask for advice and criticism.  This forum treats everyone with kit-gloves.  There are fantastic painters on here but most will just say "awesome job" rather than point out that you could be doing something better.  There are so many simple tips and tricks for painting minis that you might not just stumble on.  You will advance so fast if you make it clear that you want to know what you could be doing different or better.