Was wondering what the consensus is on repainting LE figures. The figure I am looking at repainting is the wizkids Cthulhu. It is a LE figure in the horror clicks line. (Here is a rough picture) post-12785-0-80699200-1431764360.jpg

I am thinking of changing its color scheme to fit my idea what it is supposed to look like.

I'm asking cause i don't know if it is taboo to do that.

Then the next question is how best to go about it? Like if i need to strip it and how to. Also the best way to rebase it off the game base. I will probably never play the game so I don't need it on that clicky base.

Thanks

Joe

• Like 3
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taboo? Only if you plan on trying to resell the fig on the secondary market would a new paintjob be a problem.

Now if you post it in Show Off, you should be expressly clear what parts if any are original Factory Paint.

Getting the fig like that removed from base? Gently working a screwdriver between fig and base might work.

Paint stripping? Clix can be trouble. Acetone scrub worked on older figs, but might be dangerous to a newer fig. Also it will cloud any clear clix very swiftly. Soaking in acetone is not recommended, will ruin clix. Also the hard plastic base will liquefy on exposure to acetone.

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 3

I gather that the paints used to paint plastic toys are very different from the acrylic paints we use. You may just wish to prime over the paint job and paint that.

• Like 6

In my experience, it is too much trouble to try to remove paint from most prepaints. I just wash the figure with dish soap, prime and paint from there. Works great on the old DnD prepaints, haven't tried heroclix though.

BTW, I started painting because I decided that I could not do worse than some of Wizard's factory paint jobs. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

• Like 5

Yeah, the paint they use for those plastics is industrial toy paint - it's basically designed to bond with the plastic itself... You won't get that stuff off. Better to prime right over it and just go from there.

The base, on the other hand, should pop right off if you slide a screwdriver or jackknife under the guy's foot and lever it up. Some of them you can pull right off the bases by hand - look to see if he's just glued on or if there are pegs on his feet. Without pegs, he'll come right off with a bit of leverage. If he has pegs on his feet, they're glued into the base and you may have to cut them off but that's pretty easy,

After that, just glue him to the new base or drill holes up through the bottoms of his feet and pin him to the base.

• Like 4

No taboo at all about repainting a LE figure. You own it, you can do whatever you want to with it. (Ignore that wailing and gnashing of teeth, it's just the collector's.)

Scorpio616 mentioned using acetone to strip paint off of clicky figures; it does work, I've done it. That said, it's a HUGE pain, and the results aren't always worth the effort. Also, there is the chance of damaging the figure using this method; with a LE like you've got here, I wouldn't do it. Just wash, prime, and paint like the others here have already said.

About the base; it can be removed in the fashion that has already been mentioned. Alternately, you could just leave it as is. Superglue the clicky parts so they no longer move, and then just use putty and whatnot to do the base up however you wish.

I can't wait to see how it works out!

• Like 6

No taboo at all about repainting a LE figure. You own it, you can do whatever you want to with it. (Ignore that wailing and gnashing of teeth, it's just the collector's.)

Exactly what I feel.  No one has the right to tell you what you can and cannot do with your legally purchased goods (and yeah that applies to EULAs too - mostly a bunch of hogwash).

• Like 4

Exactly what I feel.  No one has the right to tell you what you can and cannot do with your legally purchased goods (and yeah that applies to EULAs too - mostly a bunch of hogwash).

What's an EULA?

• Like 1

I didn't know either, but Google is my friend......end-user license agreement.

Yup - those silly things software companies like to put into their installation files and force you to agree with them to install the program - like they have any real legal weight at all.