Help with picking a Miniature

I'm looking for help with finding/picking a miniature to represent a Male Elf Monk. I'll be starting a d&d campaign soon and I always like to get a great mini and paint it before.  My inspiration for my character is Oberyn Martell from game of thrones.  Little to no armor while wielding a spear/qiang. I did find some great looking minis with the finder, but nothing that really made me say thats the one.  Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see some REALLY good choices in there.  Especially the specific on you pointed out.  I love these threads as I always find something new that I want to get.

Well, personally I mod more minis than I leave unmodded so I would consider it an easy mod. Just a little work with a dremel tool and a file, and perhaps some green stuff. But if you've never done any modding before, it's probably easier to remove or change something in the hand than to remove or change something attached to the body.

From the link Brother Jim provided this reminds me more of Martel, probably due to the more action-y pose and the angry face.  He's holding the weapon with both hands, so no dagger, though there appears to be some sort of weapon in his belt I can't quite see from the angle provided.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/male%20elf%20spear/sku-down/14408

I always loved this one for the dynamic pose, but unfortunately he's armored and bearded, so while you could probably paint the armor to look more like cloth, you'd also have to head swap.

Harrix Fireblood

Aramil - Turn that staff into a spear.  He has that old temple master sort of vibe.

Edited by Qwyksilver

That's the one I was leaning toward. Not sure how I feel abt the dagger in the other hand tho

It wouldn't be particularly difficult to use a hobby knife and/or clippers to cut off any parts of the dagger sticking out from his hand, file it down smooth so nothing sticks out, and then carefully cut off his hand at the wrist and pin it back on so it was palm-downward, giving it a more martial-arts look to him. Since any mistakes on thehand would be facing downward, it would cover them up.

Then slowly bend that arm either inward at the elbow to bring the hand a little closer to the body so it looks like he just finished swinging it, or a little bit outward at the shoulder and elbow in the direction he's looking to straighten it a bit and it should leave him striking something of a Shaolin-esque pose, empty hand held forward, spear at the ready to strike or block...

Matbar, that weapon on the back of the elven Vale Longthorn is a longknife, and is quite firmly attached for a good portion of it's length. It would need to be carefully clipped and filed to preserve the shape of the surface underneath it.

Edited by Mad Jack

That dervish warrior is pretty awesome...I may have to pick that up.

The Tobias Winterhorn mini is not too bad.  No armor, spear, jumping pose is the only thing that is not terrific.

The boots also blend into the vines, so you'll have to be careful removing the foot and cleaning up the toes.

• Like 2

I find this guy similar to Oberyn.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/elf/sku-down/14046#detail/14046_Ardynn_tl

He had a ballet gracefulness to him... until his head got crushed under the Mountain. It will take some modifying to change that sword into a spear but it's do-able.  And the spear would be parallel with his arm which was more of Oberyn's fighting style rather than the thrusting position most of the models are in.