Sign in to follow this  
osugambit

My first bust....

I believe we are staying at the Quad, though I would have to ask the wife to be certain.  Somewhere we would be fairly centrally located without having to pay extra for a hotel room I will barely need. ;)

Oh cool, yeah, they are owned by Caesars. Very centrally located, you should have a great time there. 

Take in a few shows, maybe head downtown to the Fremont Street Experience and near there is the Mob Museum. These are things that everyone loves if they go.

I've heard the Blue Man Group is amazing and so are most of the Cirque Shows (haven't been yet), I have been to the Excalibur and the Tournament of Kings dinner/show a couple of times and it's pretty epic. 

Weather next week will be starting in the 90's and going over 100 later in the week, so bring plenty of sun screen if you plan on walking around outside.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. We usually try to go quite a bit, and I try to schedule my work conferences there when I can. We have stayed at most of the places but for us the extra cost rarely is worth it. We have seen a lot of the shows and usually try to get at least one in when we are out there. The cirque shows that I have seen are great. I haven't seen blue man actually though I have heard it is great. We are watching zumanity this trip as it is one of the cirque shows I haven't seen, though it actually was one I was recommended not to go to.

And I will definitely be bringing sunscreen, or my pale red headed skin will get blistered.

• Like 2

Ok,  so back from Vegas.   Had a great time, but didn't win big.

Back to work on finishing my bust.  this is about the time I really start to struggle.  Where I'm to the point I am starting to look forward to my next project and losing some of the drive to finish the one I am working currently.  That combined with the where do I go from here aspect leads me to put a lot of my models on the shelf at this point in a never quite completed stage.

So today, I continued working on weathering the leather shoulder strap first.  I basically used two colors.  Nightmare black, and nightmare black mixed with a little VMC Ivory.  I would use the ivory mix to make several smallish lines or cut's/scratches in the leather and then take a glaze of the Nightmare black and go over it.  I did this over and over again, focusing more of the scratches around the points I would expect to get the most wear (around the shoulder and buckle)  also trying to keep the darker areas towards the center of the strap as the edges are also likely to get more wear.  by going over and over and over with the scratches/glazes I was hoping to give the idea that it had been worn over time and some of the scratches and wear was much older than the others.  I think this turned out ok, or at least as good as I have ever gotten it before.

Next I started working on the beret, and highlighted the bow up with grey and ivory, then glazed it back down with purple and blue before hitting it again with grey.  It will probably need some more work tomorrow taking this further.  I also did the same with the ribbon/tie in the back of the beret.  

On the underside of the beret and in some of the darkest recess I started shading with GW Guillman blue + Nightmare black, and then I stepped this up to a highlight color with GW guillman blue + VMC sky blue, but again this is going to need to be taken further tomorrow as well as it is too subtle now.   

post-12052-0-55643300-1433970275_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-54155100-1433970277_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-42425200-1433970279_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Welcome back! 

Just keep at it, he's looking really good. A little bit more and you can call him done and move onto that next exciting project. 

• Like 1

one step forward, two steps back.  

Ok, so I worked to really push the highlights of the beret today to add more contrast between the highlights and shadows.  and in doing so I felt I lost a lot of the deep blue feel that I had been working towards, as the highlights were approaching a much lighter whiter color.  and so I decided I would try glazing over it with some Tamiya clear blue to try to bring back more of the blue that I had lost.  Unfortunately,  I thought I would try to do this right out of the bottle instead of putting some on my pallete and properly thinning it down, and so it came out darker than I had anticipated, and also was very streaky with lots of brushstrokes,  So tomorrow I will be working to fix my mistakes here. 

However, I did some more work on the bow today as well.  My goal was to keep this a kind of silvery fabric, but I don't really know how to do this,  What I tried was keeping the majority of the fabric a neutral gray and working up to some thin ivory highlights.  I had thought about trying to experiment with some irridescent medium, but apparently this hasn't made it back to my office from reapercon yet.  As it is, I think it turned out ok, but I know there are probably much better ways I could achieve this effect.  

Getting closer....

post-12052-0-37050800-1434056332_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-49835100-1434056334_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I see what you mean about the streaky blue, sometimes we get lazy or forgetful, but it's a learning experience when it happens. This is very fixable, he's still looking great though!

• Like 2

thanks for the encouragement. 

Yeah, I was cutting steps hoping to save time and paint.  One of the downsides to painting at work is that sometimes I mix paint up and it dries up before I get a chance to use it.  The upside, of course, is I freaking get to paint at work.  using a wet pallete or ceramic pallete with lid and slow drying agent helps, but still the consistency can change quite a bit due to dehydration between painting sessions.  It is definitely something that will be fixable, but it is just going to cost me the time I hoped to save.

• Like 2

Ok. So I am trying to do this from my phone. I hope it works. I was able to touch up his hat, highlight the metal bits and his hair today. I am just about ready to call him done but I will take him home this weekend so that I may be able to do some work (attempting) to make his eyes more special. Not much new used today other than vmc gold and silver to highlight the vmc bronze bits from before. Everything else I believe was used previously. Assuming I get some decent work done on the eyes I will put up some pictures in the show off forum with my better light box at home. Thanks for following and the tips and encouragement along the way!

post-12052-0-06039000-1434142108_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-48054000-1434142121_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-07224500-1434142145_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-45488800-1434142171_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

he's pretty dang good, I'd say he's 99%!

Yeah, take the weekend to put him aside, come back Monday and take a look again and decide if he needs anything else, then hit him with a dull cote and call him good.

• Like 2