Sign in to follow this  
Mocha

02994 · Noreth Skyblade · Elf · Werner Klocke

Hi Gang! 

It's late/early but I got so caught up in painting, I decided I needed to rejoin the WIP forum ^_^ It's been too long! I hit one of those "painting zen" places and picked up a Shelf of Shame mini that I started to paint last year, but when I saw Cash's amazing thread in May 2014, I got discouraged so I "temporarily" put him aside. One year later, I'm ready to paint Noreth!

I decided his long jacket would be a royal blue and while I waited for the base coat to dry, I worked on his face. Fast forward after an hour of obsessive "...if I just fix this little detail" and I looked up and thought, "Holy moly, now THAT is what I'm talking' about!". I've often been frustrated at my attempts at painting eyes and I'm finally in a place where I can be proud of the eyes that I paint! I joked with @ub3r_n3rd-- the amount of time I spend studying with Derek Schubert at each ReaperCon is directly proportional to how well I paint that next year. However, I still have a LOT to learn! At RC 2016, I might just duct tape myself to him throughout the entire Con. He won't mind... right? (see "Harassment" in your "What NOT To Do at ReaperCon" common-sense pamphlets)  <_<

post-13200-0-28742500-1432190432.jpg

post-13200-0-90294600-1432190432.jpg

• Like 22

Yep, you're right, those are amazing eyes!

I am so jealous! I would love to go to RC and take classes. Is there really a What Not To Do pamphlet? lol

Can't wait to see the rest when he has started out this well!

• Like 2

Yep, you're right, those are amazing eyes!

I am so jealous! I would love to go to RC and take classes. Is there really a What Not To Do pamphlet? lol

Can't wait to see the rest when he has started out this well!

Thank you! The classes are great and asking the artists for feedback is super-valuable! I hope you get to come to one-- maybe ReaperCon 2016? While there is a booklet, it's more of a guide to classes, a who's-who of the artists/sculptors, events and vendor info rather than a "What Not to Do" pamphlet LOL If there was one, I could probably write it!

• Like 3

Fantastic job!

I really love his face, and eyes are great. :)

He looks very serious with his angry eyebrows!

• Like 1

Sorry, I will be resuming my dks stalker role at next year's Con :p

Great work on Noreth! Never get discouraged, get inspired!

• Like 4

I was a Tre, Michael, and Andy stalker this year, also had a chance to see Bobby Jackson do some work on a new figure he was working on via zBrush. 

• Like 2

Great work on Noreth! Never get discouraged, get inspired!

Haha, darn! Okay maybe we can do a time-share on different days  :;):  

And you're right-- your Noreth was discouraging at first since I was like, "Aw man, I'm not nearly at that level yet" and I knew I'd paint him and shout at him "WHY CAN'T YOU BE MORE LIKE CASH WILEY'S NORETH?! He's such a nice boy..." Now I'm at the point where I'm inspired by other people's work. Being discouraged kept me from painting-- now I just see it as motivation to keep painting to get to that advanced skill level  ^_^

• Like 7