WIP: Treasure Horde atop a Broken Column Display Base

For my online business, we cut lots of wood and leave lots of pieces in the scrap bin. Well, we just processed a beautiful seasoned branch of oak and cut it every which way right up to the very last piece, the spot where it was cut from the body of the tree.

For some reason I spent a few minutes looking at the piece and decided to bring it with me to clean up. As you can see in the pics it cleaned up but I wasn't sure what to do with it.

So, I had just posted an ash burl to my website and suggested in the description making it into a treasure horde for your dragon. And I realized what this piece was... a broken column sitting amongst the dwarven horde lost to a dragon.

As you can see below, I painted the middle to look like solid rock. I left it slightly exaggerated so the paint could be seen under the gold and artifacts I was planning to place on it.

Next step, add the booty to the piece. Which is going to require making some treasure bits, golden and silvery pieces with a smattering of platinum. The last question is, being a dwarven treasure, would you use coins, bullion nuggets, or both for the piled mass?

post-7739-0-04652900-1432316627_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-45726800-1432316725_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-68125900-1432316744_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-93370000-1432316751_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 14

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and maybe a weapon or two made of Mithril! 

I'll see what the ol' parts bin has.  Might have to cheat and hint at the weapon under other treasure with the bits I have.

But I think I will definitely add a chest to this equation as an anchor point.

• Like 3

How big around is the piece? Would it fit on top of a base you have? I was thinking if you set it on a slightly larger base, you could probably carve the sides of it to look like a pillar, and then have a bit of room around the bottom to spread a bit more treasure...

Also, it's pretty easy to file down a bit of sprue into a blade - especially a dagger (take a hobby knife, measure off along one edge how long you want the visible piece of the blade to be, then slice off a long triangular wedge off of one corner -bingo, you have the basic shape of the blade and all it requires is shaving down the one side with the corner on it so it's flat and adding the edges).

You might even consider sacrificing a Bones skeleton for some armor, weapons and...<ahem> bones, lol.

• Like 5

After making three more ropes of green stuff into coins and making a goblet, I was distracted by the arrival of my "Your Board" dungeon tile making kit from Happy Seppuku.

Couple of quick shots of test pieces:

post-7739-0-56784100-1432820666.jpg

10' x 20' room/corridor with jungle slate stamp and inch marks (2" x 4")

post-7739-0-42426300-1432820719.jpg

10' x 10' hexagon pattern with Reaper Crimson HD washed on it.  (2" x 2")  The hexagon pattern was supplied by a silicon trivet.  I sanded the tops of the pattern to get them to look more worn and flat.  The stamp dug deep which bulges the top of the clay pushed into it.

There's a third one but I made it with black clay and haven't added any paint to it yet to show off the pattern.  I used an alligator pattern from Sculpey on it.

Here's what the silicon trivet look like:

HT12.nfFR4cXXagOFbXz.jpg

I found this cool Tutorial when I looked up the trivet for a pic just now:  http://roebeast.blogspot.com/2012/07/making-simple-hexagon-tile-base.html

• Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Peithetairos
      Some may have seen it in the Facebook Group already, but I am working currently on a spelunking diorama that is a study in OSL. My first serious attempt at OSL it turned out to be a daunting and mindbending affair. I established the base colours and lighting via airbrush and then went back in with brush. Still a few things to fix, but it is getting there.

• By Evilhalfling
      part one was opened in mid December, part 2 on Christmas morning. 
      I’ll build into a full diorama in January 
      Which I will then hide until next year

• By DragonWyrm
      The Medium
      I personally find the blended fibers medium by Liquitex to be a highly versatile medium. It can be added to any ground mixture to add the appearance of natural roots and similar debris. In this tutorial I will be looking at how to make an ice base using it. It is important to remember that in most cases the ice is hardly crystal clear and instead it generally appears cloudy white. The blended fibbers have a slight translucency which allows for the illusion of depth, while each fiber acts like a crack in the ice.

The Ice
      Step 1: Base colour

Use a dark base. Then tint it with the colour you want. In this case I used Cerulean Blue. This step can be skipped if you are going to be tinting the medium instead (thought a darker base colour is still advised)

Step 2: Apply Fiber Medium

Slather on a large dollop of medium. You can add some colour to tint it, but the colour will change significantly as it dries so be carful to not overpower it (you don't even need to mix it well as streaking colours may be desired). Transparent colours work better for tinting if you still want to retain the depth. In this case I did not tint it.

Step 3: Smooth the Medium

I did this by wetting a pallet knife and running it over the surface, followed by cleaning up the edges. The Fiber medium is extremely easy to smooth with a wet pallet knife. The thickness decides how much translucency the final product has.

Step 4: Let it Dry

In this case I liked how it looked so I decided not to dry brush it with white. Drybrushing with white would make it look more frosty.  This took a couple hours for me, mostly due to the thickness I chose. You can see how the blue is showing in the photo, that is the undercoat peaking through.

The Snow 
      Step 1: Snow

Mix some medium with Titanium white. This will make a nice snow texture

Step 2: Applying Snow

Apply the snow and feather it out with a brush, the feathering out makes it look more realistic. If you don't want peaks use water to smooth the snow (unless you want peaks to represent sticks in the snow.)

Step 3: Let it Dry 

The base is now finished. 

The Miniature

Put a miniature on it. Thats what a base is for. Unless you want to use it as a trap in DnD or some terrain.

• By veoviscool12
      This is the second miniature I've ever painted, and the first with Reaper paints. I figured that a brush holder would come in handy for the all the Bones V painting in my future! The only Reaper paints I own are the Bones V paints (Learn to Paint kit and the two collections), plus two bottles of Reaper MSP 9038 Rainy Gray.

Overall I'm really pleased with the way this first attempt worked out! I primed everything with 9038 Rainy Gray, then put on the base coats. The wings and ears gave me the most trouble as I had generously overpainted with 9410 Dragon Green, and was attempting a wet blend with 09468 Brilliant Red and 09218 Lava Orange. They required seven or eight coats before I got solid coverage over the green. Once everything was painted and cleaned up, I did a dry brush highlight pass, and then sealed it with two coats of Rust-oleum Crystal Clear Enamel and one coat of Testors Dullcote. I waited 24 hours between each coat to give it plenty of time to dry. I also masked off the gold pile prior to the Dullcote to make sure it would stay shiny.

Some things that could have been better:

The eyes should have been a different color to make them pop, instead of disappearing in the face. Additionally the right eye is quite muddy and the pupil gets lost amidst all the black veins. I was getting tired of working on Rocky at this point and wanted to get it finished. Ideally the eye would have been repainted. The left eye is better, but still gets lost in all the green. I forgot that my wash darkens the mini, and didn't paint in brighter colors to compensate, which means overall it's quite muted and dark.

• By Darcstaar
      I only saw one thread about crackle paste when I searched these forums.

So, I’m going to share how it’s going for me.

I started with washed and dried 1” and 2” Reaper Bases.

I put this garbage on a 2 inch base first.

Don’t buy it.  I got it at Hobby Lobby at the time because they were out of Folk Art.

To be clear, this is Crackle Medium.
      It is meant to be painted on a primed or rough surface I guess, and painted thin. I put it on kind of thick.  It didn’t crackle at all!

So, I got a tub of this stuff on Amazon.

The directions state “put over a thin layer of PVA glue.”  Pfft, who has time for that extra step?

Here is the result on a washed but otherwise un prepped set of bases.

1 inch

2 inch.

Lousy!
      So, the surface needs something for crackle paste to work right.

This is a 1” base with a thin layer of PVA glue.

This is a 1” base with just hitting it with 220 grit sandpaper and washing it again.

I also used the 2” base with dried crackle medium on it.  Not pictured.

This is a 2” base covered in black brush on primer.

Here is the result on the 2” base over dried crackle medium.  It was hard to get the stuff into a uniform layer, as the medium created a very hydrophobic surface, so the paste slides around too easy.