Sign in to follow this  
tiniest rhombus

Air brush for the hubby

My husband has expressed an interest in air brushing as a way to get into this mini painting thing. He has arthritis in his hands so isn't able to hold a paint brush for long. I'm thinking of the set. Thoughts?

Also, I've never held an air brush before so have no idea how difficult it would be for him to hold and use one for any amount of time.

I would love to enjoy yet another hobby with my sweetie but if it'll hurt him...well that would suck.

Edited by ladystorm
Link to Amazon removed.

Its a good deal for what you get. I just got that particular compressor but haven't used it yet. ANd Iwata is a good name brand airbrush. However, He may be more comfortable with a pistol grip airbrush instead of a traditional shaped one. I know Grex makes one and there are others out there. I don't have arthritis and I've had cramping issues when using my airbrushes for a long time in the past. Just a thought.

AH! Iwata makes one as well. A model HP TR-2 & 1. 

Edited by fishnjeeps
  • Like 2

Thanks fish injera Hmmm, a pistol grip one is something to consider. I think I'll do some interwebz searching arthritis/air brush. How long are you using your air brush when the cramping starts?

• Like 1

I agree, you may want to check out the pistol grip style. Grex is the only one I know of though like that though.

• Like 1

I would definitely recommend having him test using an airbrush if you can find a way to do that. GREX often has them on demo at conventions, which is how I was persuaded that the pistol grip style was the best option for me. Or perhaps you have a friend who has one? Or a local art or hobby store that might have a demonstration model?

The reason I say that is this. I have some hand and wrist weakness and pain problems. These are pretty minor. Like I don't know that I've ever mentioned it to a doctor minor, though I did have some of it treated by a chiropractor for a while. I suspect I'm starting to get some arthritis (my grandmother and mother both have the kind that gnarls up your fingers as you age.) I get hand pain when I write longhand for any length of time. Scratching or etching into dried putty to make interesting basing materials also causes me enough pain that I don't really do it unless it's pretty important to the piece I'm working on.

I very rarely have pain from regular brush painting. What we do is delicate enough that I don't have to grip the way I would to write or etch. Airbrushing requires some pressure and that you exert that pressure at the same time as being somewhat dexterous with your fingers. I found the traditional style airbrush to cause fatigue and slight pain on my few attempts to paint with a friend's. Not dire, but enough that it didn't seem worth getting one myself. The GREX pistol grip style brush is a lot better for me. But everyone who has an issue like this is unique, so I guess it'll depend on the strength and mobility he has in his forefinger which kind of brush style he might like, if any. 

One thing to note about airbrushes is that being able to break them down and put them together to clean them and find clogs and such is pretty vital. Some of the parts are small or delicate, so a user needs enough dexterity (but not much strength) to feel comfortable doing that. 

• Like 3

That is the exact one I am thinking about purchasing/put on my birthday list (coming up here in july). 

From my research of that set the air compressor is a good one and the brush is an good Iwata one. I dont know much about Air brushes or compressors but MonkeySloth as recommend that air compressor in another thread and I have read some pretty positive stuff about Iwata. 

The price point on that seems excellent to me with all the stuff you get! First one to get it has to review it!

• Like 1

Great info everyone. We have several dedicated hobby stores in the area, so finding one to try shouldn't be hard. I was hoping to make it a surprise for his 50 th birthday, but, comfort is more important. If he's not able to use it, I'm sure I would. Although, that wouldn't make such a great gift for him. :-/ As far as cleaning, I can do that for him. His main issue is grip and hand strength.

That is the exact one I am thinking about purchasing/put on my birthday list (coming up here in july).

From my research of that set the air compressor is a good one and the brush is an good Iwata one. I dont know much about Air brushes or compressors but MonkeySloth as recommend that air compressor in another thread and I have read some pretty positive stuff about Iwata.

The price point on that seems excellent to me with all the stuff you get! First one to get it has to review it!

Yes, first one to get it review it, please. It is a pretty good deal.

Grex GCK01 Combo Kit with Genesis.XT and AC1810-A Air Compressor Airbrush

A pistol grip one, a bit more spendy.

Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 1

The airbrush included there is a GOOD airbrush, indeed. Nice all-around needle size, good brand (and not one of the "cheap" Iwata made in China, the Neo).

The compressor seems identical (probably all chinese made?) to mine, except I don't have a tank, all the extras are very good to have, especially the stand and cleaning pot. While you are at it, get a good respirator too  :;):

• Like 2

Respirator, of course. Good idea.

Willen just helped me find it on amazon.

Thanks Bathory, looks like the standard Iwata tip... I am always afraid of breaking the threads on those.

I am waiting anxiously on my Harder & Steenbeck with the floating self-centering nozzle.

Willen do you just use the simple white one or the ones with filter attachments?

White "paper" masks are just for big dust, like when sawing off wood or stuff like that. For alcohol and solvents you need Organic Vapor filters. I use a 3M half-mask with dual filters, that I got cheap as industrial surplus.

I can't find a pic of myself on it, but it is this one (model 6200 it seems, it is not at hand to check)

3m-half-facepiece-reusable-respirator-62

The two filters are replaceable, and you can get different kinds of filters (but again, get the 6001 Organic Vapor Filter).

I just searched for it and it is less than 10 USD in Amazon. Pair of 6001 filters are about 7 USD - and I didn't even check for better prices. 

The mask is incredibly comfortable, you breath in/out great, and get absolutely NO smell from outside. I have used it for more than an hour (my compressor auto-switches off so I do 30-45 min sessions) and I hardly notice I have it on.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 2

Thanks fish injera Hmmm, a pistol grip one is something to consider. I think I'll do some interwebz searching arthritis/air brush. How long are you using your air brush when the cramping starts?

That was 10 years ago, but Usually about an hour of painting. Though I'm known to "overgrip" and squeeze harder than is really necessary which contributes to it. Also, some airbrushes like the Paasce VL series are thicker which may help as well. I would definitely recommend trying a few different ones out. If it wasn't an 8 hour drive, I'd reccomend going to Chicago Airbrush supply and testing a few out. You can mailorder if you knew what you wanted, but they also have a retail shop. i gotta stop by this week and order some parts....

• Like 1