Bones and Cyanoacrylates

I was in one of those same Conversion classes (maybe even the same class section as Hungerfan) and let me just pile on the Loctite bandwagon. AFAIK, The heaps of Bones in those classes were ripped out of the plastic baggies, heaped in a bin and washed never. If there was some kinda mold-release this Loctite dissolved it and made it part of the bond.

Yeah I was the tall, balding, lanky fellow that sat next to ya. :)  That is the exact bottle I picked up not long after the class.  I have yet to use it for any conversions but it stuck my daughter's female demon to the base with ease.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always wash bones with warm soapy water and stiff bristled toothbrush. They have a mold release agent on them and it'll keep glue and paint from sticking properly.

I was in one of those same Conversion classes (maybe even the same class section as Hungerfan) and let me just pile on the Loctite bandwagon. AFAIK, The heaps of Bones in those classes were ripped out

CA works better on Bones than two-part epoxy, at least in my testing. In particular, it worked better for gluing Bones to non-Bones (I tested wood, metal, and plastic bases.) The Bones I tested were s

Huh, was trying to find out who sells Loctite super glue in Canada only to discover that LePage brand has the same parent company.

I first noticed they had identical bottles for some products, then their websites confirmed they are owned by Henkel.

The kicker was when both Loctite and LePage's websites had promotional videos featuring the same spokesman, but with different branding in the background.

• Like 2

Most big hardware or industrial/trade suppliers will stock Loctite.

I can confirm that Lowe's carries the product shown in TGP's post. I got some there yesterday.

• Like 1

I've used everything from Gorilla/Loctite to dollar store glue and never had any issues. I do however roughen up edges pretty frequently simply because it does markedly increase the bond strength (I do this with resin and metal too). If the areas you are gluing are smooth most glue will never glue as well as it's potential.

My own completely anecdotal evidence indicates using a curing enchancer, whether you dust it with baking soda, spray water on it or use a commercial accelerator (usually just heptane/acetone) makes the bond a bit more brittle. You usually don't want that with Bones so I wouldn't recommend it.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
...Seems like glue of any kind starts to not work so well after 2-3 years for me. I've taken to writing the date of purchase on the bottle so I can have an idea if that might be the issue if I start having problems.  ...

Two or three years?  In my case. living in a hot climate, I can see my cyno begin to thicken in 2-3 months.  I keep new bottles in the refrigerator until I am ready to use them.  I almost always have to throw out the bottle after six months.

• Like 1

[...]

I do however roughen up edges pretty frequently simply because it does markedly increase the bond strength (I do this with resin and metal too). If the areas you are gluing are smooth most glue will never glue as well as it's potential.

[...]

In those conversion classes I was gluing glassy smooth surfaces together. The bonds have proven really strong.

Would you use a nail file? on bones plastic?

I've been using Duro super glue (also HGX which is Duro packaged for The Home Depot) and have had no difficulty with sticking Bones together.

How is the humidity where you are? CA glues are hygroscopic and need to incorporate water vapor to harden. I find just exhaling gently on the glue is enough to initiate setting if it seems to not be doing it on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Loctite control gel for metal and I figured it would be good for Bones. It works on everything.

I will admit I was confused by the question of "how old is your super glue". Then I realized normal people don't go through 2 dozen bottles a month (we use a lot at my job) and it might actually get old.

• Like 1