Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Scáthach, Scotswoman Warrior (77389: Highland Heroine )

I take one look at that facial expression, and I hear Austin Powers' voice in the back of my head, saying, "Do I make you [rhymes with tawny], baby?"

Hee, hee. Splendid work!

• Like 1

Love her. Excellent work on the tartan, I like how you defined it. It's exactly opposite the way I do tartans (painting the squares instead of the lines). I may have to try it.

• Like 1

Some questions; Why didn't you straighten the sword before starting?  Is this your normal painting style or were you trying something new? It looks good but there is a ton of paint on it.  Is it a style choice?  What would you say you learned about painting plaid?

I still haven't figured out a solid technique for plaid but have been going kind of the opposite way as you did.  I have been putting a light off-color base (light tan or off-white) and then working the color stripes in very watered down colors so they show through each other.  But then I am limited to lighter plaids.  If I start with a color base and color stripes it just looks like a clown. 

• Like 1

A BONNY LOOKING Lass...the strawberry blond hair adds to the Scottish flavor & makes the mini for moi. GREAT WORK!

• Like 2

I didn't get the expansion that had her in it, and I regret it now.

Thanks a LOT Pingo! 😉

But she's fantastic! I always enjoy your unconventional style!

• Like 1

Yes, the cape is ludicrously busy.

Some questions; Why didn't you straighten the sword before starting?  Is this your normal painting style or were you trying something new? It looks good but there is a ton of paint on it.  Is it a style choice?  What would you say you learned about painting plaid?

I still haven't figured out a solid technique for plaid but have been going kind of the opposite way as you did.  I have been putting a light off-color base (light tan or off-white) and then working the color stripes in very watered down colors so they show through each other.  But then I am limited to lighter plaids.  If I start with a color base and color stripes it just looks like a clown.

The sword was really soft and bendy. It didn't show much tendency to stay in place anyway, so I moved it around to paint the figure. The player it's for at least is not too upset about that.

I am always trying something new. Apparently I have a recognizable painting style, but I am not sure what of it I would call normal.

Curious what you mean by "a ton of paint." If you feel I have issues with paint thickness, I can work on that. If it's the ludicrous amount of colors and paint thrown onto the plaid cape, well, that's deliberate. If you mean the sword itself, I am still figuring out the nuances of metallics on a micro scale.

Your plaid technique sounds very rational. This one was a little more wild and seat of the pants. It *is* very difficult to keep plaids from looking clownlike.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this