So I decided to do a updated tutorial on doing a sea floor base! I started with my hippocampus.

Things you'll need:

Cork

Green Stuff

Wire

WIre Cutters

Sculpting Tools!
Super Glue

SO! To start with, you rip up chunks of coral and arrange the bottom layer how you wish it to look. Feel free to look up pictures of coral, you'll see that they are often in jagged clumps with little nooks and vallleys between them

DSC06468_zpsw73ptyvt.jpg DSC06469_zpswtarqi0g.jpg

Now you add a second layer, similar to constructing a wedding cake or something, we're going for tiered levels with the upper levels smaller.

DSC06472_zps9nqas6nn.jpgDSC06471_zps8afyg1wl.jpg

Now you add smaller tops to a few places, for the higher points

DSC06473_zpsreq98uhq.jpg

Now you take your wire cutters, and you start gouging pits and holes in the cork. You don't want it to be level or straight anywhere, so feel free to yank and rip as you please to get erratic, pitted shapes

DSC06474_zpsrefs89ud.jpg

here it is after i've dug out pits

DSC06476_zpsxysjwceh.jpg DSC06478_zpsxk15vxkm.jpg

Now you break out the green stuff, and start doing little coral against the cork. I tried an urchin out, my first time attempting to do one

DSC06479_zpsczdjlggk.jpg

I've stuck some wires in that will be schools of fish, and added some more coral

DSC06482_zpscrxfu30e.jpg

DSC06483_zpslhy9vqlm.jpg

And uh...i kind of got distracted....but i did get the fish schools started!

To do those, you roll little balls of green stuff and squish them on in an erratic pattern. It's not finished by far, this is just laying the ground work

DSC06484_zpsu0lrm89q.jpgDSC06486_zpsd31itq6v.jpg

• Like 22

Reserved for part 2, painting!

Primed! I know the scales aren't perfect, but this was mostly practice for me than anything else

DSC06488_zpsrhrsnlrb.jpg DSC06489_zpsxvvodqzz.jpg

Okay! So painting the cork up as algae and coral covered rock...I use the following colors, all from Hobby Lobby:

Apple Barrel Lavender

Apple Barrel Parrot Blue

Americana Antique Gold

Americana Bleached Sand

Folk Art Yellow Citron

Folk Art Wrought Iron

Folk Art Pure Black

and very very small amounts of Red, Pink and Orange

You start by slathering all the cork in Wrought Iron. This is very rough on the brush, use a old brush you don't mind getting frayed. Try to get into all the nooks and crannies

DSC06493_zpsgpacqry7.jpgDSC06492_zpsmcbk8e7x.jpg

Now you take your Antique Gold and dry brush it over the coral. You don't want to go too heavy

DSC06494_zps38p9cvsi.jpgDSC06495_zps7ay1mxdi.jpg

Now you dry brush Yellow Citron lightly over the other two colors

DSC06496_zpszs7jgmel.jpgDSC06497_zps5r2f1yb3.jpg

We're going to work on the sand now. We're using Bleached Sand for this

DSC06498_zpsv9mkzef2.jpgDSC06499_zpsesghstp2.jpg

Here we break out the Parrot Blue. This is your shadows on the sand, so you want it to be up against the cork and wherever you think shadows would fall

DSC06500_zpsnmy9xsnp.jpgDSC06502_zpsmzp9bdun.jpg

Here we use the other colors. The Lavender will be used for the shelf coral. And not just the green stuff coral. If you see a edge of cork that looks coral like, by all  means dry brush a bit of purple over it. The red, orange, and pink you can dab on the various corals for a colorful look

DSC06503_zps9tipuedj.jpgDSC06505_zps8lo6qcfc.jpg

More coming soon! Need to finish the coral, do ripples on the sand, and paint the fish schools!

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 13

Great, thx for sharing this.

I'll be following this closely since I got some underwater scenes I want to make.

Somewhere in the future...but I'm still gathering information.

So keep at it, I like it.

• Like 1

Really neat!  The hippocampus looks so much cooler with the scales you've given it.

One idea I'd have for the sea urchin, would be to use the pointy ends of pins so that the spines will actually taper towards the end.

Also, I haven't tried this myself, but if you want an easy way to get more coral diversity, this Reaper blog article http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/49 has a neat technique.  You just drip superglue into water and it forms neat brain- and shelf-coral shapes.

• Like 3

Really neat!  The hippocampus looks so much cooler with the scales you've given it.

One idea I'd have for the sea urchin, would be to use the pointy ends of pins so that the spines will actually taper towards the end.

Also, I haven't tried this myself, but if you want an easy way to get more coral diversity, this Reaper blog article http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/49 has a neat technique.  You just drip superglue into water and it forms neat brain- and shelf-coral shapes.

I'd be worried of jabbing myself constantly when trying to paint it though haha.

I'm just gonna say it's a pencil sea urchin, which have blunt ends =P

hula_kai_035.jpg

• Like 10

ooh that's cool! I've always wanted to try the wood block basing, but I don't have any tools to cut into wood and shape it XD

bookmarked it to experiment with the coral technique later ^^

• Like 4

This is awesome Siri. Thanks for showing us your process. While I like lion fish, there are so many beautiful varieties of seahorse,if we're voting,my vote is for one of those.

that'd be fun, since this is a base for a sea horse =P

Be insane and do something like one of these sea dragons.....

tumblr_mcist9Dmqm1qzoi69o1_1280.jpg tumblr_lhudk6sLkk1qf2ajzo1_500.jpg

• Like 8