Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tiniest rhombus

14433 Ursula Bear Rider Captain

Recommended Posts

 Awesome work on the water effect.  I only recently discovered this "underwater view" thing with the block of resin. Super cool.  I really want to try it someday.  Please share all your know-how!

 

The dwarf isn't separable from the bear, I'm afraid.

 

THIS IS SPARTA BONES!!! 

Everything's separable.  ^_^ Just chop her off at the torso and have some other poor dwarf donate their legs.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much. This is a huge chunk of metal, but the bones one shouldn't be too hard to remove. Good point.

 

Honestly, the best tutorial for stuff under water effect is Jen's http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/49

And the only thing I'd change is all the sanding, unless your going for a competition piece. Just let some of your resin get all goopy, grab a cheaply nylon brush and brush over the entire thing. It fills in and gives a nice shine.

Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much. This is a huge chunk of metal, but the bones one shouldn't be too hard to remove. Good point.

 

Honestly, the best tutorial for stuff under water effect is Jen's http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/49

And the only thing I'd change is all the sanding, unless your going for a competition piece. Just let some of your resin get all goopy, grab a cheaply nylon brush and brush over the entire thing. It fills in and gives a nice shine.

 

Thx.

I am still a bit in the dark about how to seal this when pouring, what to use so you get it off after curing without damaging the resin. And what is waterproof enough so it wont leak out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a barrier out of some stiff plastic sheeting I had laying around. I would bite the bullet and buy what Jen suggests in the article next time. I sealed the sides with packing tape. I sealed the plastic to the base with sculpy. Just make sure your have it really well smooshed down or you will have leaks. I had leaks, in retrospect, the stiffer acrylic Jen suggests would have created a better barrier to begin with and I should have made sure the sculpy was making a good seal. The sculpy and plastic came right off but you can use mold release on the plastic if you want. I'll do that next time. Then remove the mold release with rubbing alcohol. Taking the plastic off did create some clouding of the resin, I fixed that with a thin layer of resin. I let it sit for about 45 minutes so it wasn't as runny and applied with a brush. Some of the sculpy was left over in the crevices, I just took a sculpting tool and scrapped it off. Then I used some gloss sealer and sealed the resin. Oh, make sure you seal your mini and basing material before pouring the resin. If your not making a big base like this, scuply works fine as a barrier. I did that with some smaller bases Red Ambrosia has now. You can find a picture of those on the sir fore scale box of goodwill chatter thread.

 

Does that help?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it does.

 

Very cool. I always wanted to try a waterbase sometime.

Maybe I will get the nerve to do it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Testing might be a good idea.

I usually just plunge into something new.

 

But this can ruin a model when done wrong.

Thx for the tip.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome advice. You are a genius for figuring out a way to get around hours of sanding.

 

And...what is this strange invention you call..."test pieces"? I am terrible about jumping straight in as well, so testing is very good advice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I basically made up a couple small bases to try out the two part resin since i had never used it before. I didn't take any pictures of them before I sent them off in the box of good will. Red ambrosia has them pictured here.

http://s25.postimg.org/dv5dv6zrj/Goodwill_Box1.jpg

Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I basically made up a couple small bases to try out the two part resin since i had never used it before. I didn't take any pictures of them before I sent them off in the box of good will. Red ambrosia has them pictured here.

http://s25.postimg.org/dv5dv6zrj/Goodwill_Box1.jpg

 

Cool. But ehhh why is there a waterpistol there?

Do you use that to spray the bases with resin?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rofl, cause it's kewl. I think is the only reason. :-)

 

Your supposed to be painting a crocodile, mister. *cracks whip.

Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rofl, cause it's kewl. I think is the only reason. :-)

 

Your supposed to be painting a crocodile, mister. *cracks whip.

 

Sometime tomorrow morning or sunday morning.

Don't use that whip now..I 'll paint i'll paint

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alrighty then. :-) that is acceptable.

 

Actually I still dont trust that whip.. <_<

I'll start right now.

 

Updates will soon be in the wip..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...