Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Started this guy back in 2010 and, after eleven years of on and off work (mostly off), I'm going to say he's finished. There are things I could do better now than when I started him, and certainly areas I could try to tweak more, but I'd rather save the energy/time for another figure. 54mm Games Workshop "Brother Artemis" Space Marine from the old "Inquisitor" game. Made a few minor tweaks (repositioned the sword) and left off a few bits 'cause I didn't like how they looked. Base was sanded down and then rebuilt with plastic card to look industrial. Nowadays I can just buy 40mm bases that are done this way. It was actually the first part thing that got painted which meant I had to be careful when I was painting the figure! Painted primarily with Reaper paints.
By Colonel Kane
Mods if this is not acceptable please feel free to delete.
I started a new project. last week. I bought the mini at a game store that I go to to paint with Ludo. I had another friend give me more minis... so I am turning this what was going to be just the one, into an army. I am still working on this one, but I thought you all might like to see it.
Anyways here is the Commander:
Down Under We Are Behind
A couple of months ago the Mortal Realms magazine finally got to Australia. Near that period of time I also brought some Wargames Atlantic skeletons. Now that it is deadcember, I decided to post some of the figures I have painted.
GW: Stuff I already had
I had these GW models from when they came out, (also have the wraiths, which are 90% finished, so hopefully I should post them in the future).
GW: Mortal Realms 1 (Chain Rasps)
Being in Australia, where chain rasps cost 70AUD for 10. The first issue of Mortal Realms (6AUD for Chain Rasps and SigMarines). Well it was hard to pass up on the value, especially since I do enjoy the chain rasp aesthetic. This were speed painted with oils. So that was a nice experience. The painted wanted to wipe itself off, but it was a lot faster than if I did it with acrylics.
Now the chain rasp kit has one option for one of the ten chain rasps. Yes, it's insane how much it costs for such a limited kit. I know it is push fit, but so are the Sigmarines and they come in the same size of sprue. So being left with one nice large piece, I decided to modify the figure. Using green stuff I sculpted some robes, one hand and the weapon. A paperclip acted as arms and weapon shaft.
Wargames Atlantic: Skeleton Archers.
The variety of bits on the sprue is quite nice, sadly there is only enough bows to make 8 bowmen. And the weapon variety can be said to be lacking (e.g. only ancient greek weapon, and one helmet option). I am sure you could modify some of the spears to make a long bow, but then you would be either missing some arrows or a quiver. I decided to make the maximum amount the box permitted. The helmeted head is the unmodified version from the sprue.
Wargames Atlantic: Javelins
There was some modification on the javelins, spears. I followed a guide that was advertised on the Wargames Atlantic site. I did go a little further, by cutting one spear in half and passing both halves onto a shield arm (figure pointing). All the shields are freehand, and based on some website that had designs that were broken down by time period (I think, they were from vases or murals).
Wargames Atlantic: The pike, that has a special name. I forgot said name.
I may have put the shields with the semicircles missing, the wrong way around (got confused with a different shield). I noticed this too late, and did not want to modify the figures or repaint the designs. Once again he helmet is the one from the sprue. There are only eight of the pikes on the sprue, but in the end I decided to have only 6 figures hold them. The reason will become apparent later.
Wargames Atlantic: Heavy Spears.
Now, I started doing some modifications. The spear arm of the horn blower was heavily modified, including the cutting of a thumb and using a bit of cut off sprue to make the proper one (to make it a left hand). All but the helmet of the sword wielder are the modified versions from sprue (with the decorations being either fully removed or modified, all the decoration types were based on some helmets I found on the internet).
Wargames Atlantic: Dancing Devils
Now, I was a little bored of making just skeletons. The kit comes with eight ram skulls. I decided to use 6 of them to make some devil figure, I decided to make them look like if they were dancing. Furthermore, to make them more devil like, I decided to give some of them amazing decorations. This is where the cut of pieces from the helmets became useful. In the end I was going into more of the medieval dancing skeletons.
Hello all! It's been a little bit since I posted anything. With the weather getting colder, I felt inspired to share some old winter-themed minis I painted up nearly two years ago when I first started painting. Though the paintjobs aren't anything to write home about, they're still interesting models, and I like looking back on where I started. Also, I'm slowly posting all my old bones minis so it was bound to happen sooner or later.
More photos and thoughts below the spoiler:
It's always fun looking back on old paintjobs and seeing how far you've come. Though it's also intimidating to share some of these rougher early works with the rest of you. I hope you found some entertainment looking back on these with me.
I'm looking forward to getting the new Yeti set in Bones 5 and seeing how they stand up to these classics.
Feel free to share some of your favorite early pieces!
For more recent winter-themed minis, check out my Frostrun Project Here.
Who's Online 12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)