Sign in to follow this  
fishnjeeps

Tuma Windrider

With the sudden surge of busts being done recently, I decided to finally start the one I have sitting on my paint desk. It is Tuma Windrider from Ledgendarion Miniatures and it is a beast of a bust. This is one of the better resin casts I have seen as there was very little flash and almost no pinhole that needed filling and the detail is on another level from what I usually paint. Having finally gotten my airbrush setup finished, I plan to use my airbrush for a good amount of the painting. This is a good sized mini that I think will be a great place to start with airbrush blending. Or it could go horribly wrong and end up in the dip. I'll also be breaking out my lathe to make a nice display base for this. Maybe some African hardwood or something. Not sure yet. 

Thus far I have only removed what mold lines I could see on the larger part. I haven't touched the shield or weapons just yet. So on to some pics of where I am now...

0530150656_zpsx0ulbzrp.jpg

hair details...

0530150657_zpszgwiokem.jpg

Paint Me...

0530150657a_zpsswwbqwu7.jpg

0530150657b_zps4x2zpi4z.jpg

0530150657c_zpsfahsdko1.jpg

• Like 22

Woo! I knew he'd be big and awesome. The casting is superb. I can't wait to see what you do with him. Mine should be on the way soon. I'm so glad you decided to start him.

• Like 2

This is an amazing bust. First time I saw it was in the competition at this year's ReaperCon. I look forward to seeing your progress on him.

• Like 2

A little more work done. I find that while airbrushing is fun and different than other painting, there is a lot of time spent cleaning the dang thing. I may end up buying another one of these so I can have one in the ultrasonic cleaner and one being used. Otherwise, I've enjoyed using it. There was a little issue with "tip dry" clogging me up but I started noticing the signs and things went smoother from there. I also still need to work on my thinning. I had a little issue with spidering due to the paint being too thin. Thankfully I was able to remove it. I've only done a basecoat on the leather vest so far. tonight I'll see how well the secret weapon washes spray to shade the vest a bit.

I'm stuck on what color to use for the lion. I was thinking Ginger cookie might work but then that might be too light. Palomino gold? Pumpkin Orange? I would appreciate any suggestions. Maybe something other than a reaper color? I also have some FW inks I could use.

anyway, pics of the bust thus far. I sprayed the vest in Vallejo Red Leather. 

0602151904_zpsctead2fc.jpg

0602151904a_zpstsh4xkn7.jpg

• Like 9

I would consider a desert yellow, highlighted with a creamy white,.

Yea, I don't think I have the right color in my collection. I'll have to go looking for one that will work as I'm horrible at mixing colors. I think there will be a lot of drybrushing on this due to how much detail is actually sculpted for fur. 

• Like 2

I think Palamino Gold and Pumpkin Orange are both far too saturated to work well.  Ginger Cookie seems like a good color to start with, especially as it is easier to make it darker than lighter.

• Like 3

I've ordered one of those togheter with the Hyena Bust,

So I'll be following this closely for stealing ideas Inspiration.

• Like 1

I've ordered one of those togheter with the Hyena Bust,

So I'll be following this closely for stealing ideas Inspiration.

Next we paint him hot pink and neon green being sure to seal with glow in the dark paint!  :devil: 

Nah I'm kidding! Steal away! ::D:  ::P:

• Like 3