An amateur Shadow Dragon

VolksFest

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forums

That looks pretty good, especially for a first mini.

Good eyes, good scales on the belly.

You might want to give him a bit more shadows in the wings, could be the camera of course.

Overall a job well done.

Keep at it, have fun and you'll find a lot of useful tutorials and tips in the PAINTING TIPS AND ADVICE section.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/forum/3-painting-tips-advice/

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forums

You might want to give him a bit more shadows in the wings, could be the camera of course.

Overall a job well done.

Keep at it, have fun and you'll find a lot of useful tutorials and tips in the PAINTING TIPS AND ADVICE section.

Thank you. I had painted another Reaper mini a few months back but I could not gather the courage to post it in the forums :) So it is not a 'first' per se..

I have been digging around in the tips and advice section already and I totally agree that it is a wonderful place to learn.

And I am awfully aware that my skills in the taking picture area are rather lacking, however I will try to take better pictures in the future..

And by the wings so you mean the exterior or the interior? In any case here are a couple more pictures from the other side:

post-13470-0-09498400-1433096511_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-72321700-1433096530_thumb.jpg

Edited by VolksFest
  • Like 2

I'm delighted you got up the nerve; re, that is a BEAUTIFUL piece with a FINE selection of colors & some OUTSTANDING brushmanship. VERY WELL DONE!

Enjoy your stay. You're a SPLENDID additon to The Forum.

Wow!! :) I am overwhelmed :) Thank you, good sir for you encouraging and humbling words.. I guess I will stalk these halls a little more often :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums

Overall a job well done.

Thank you. I had painted another Reaper mini a few months back but I could not gather the courage to post it in the forums :) So it is not a 'first' per se..

I have been digging around in the tips and advice section already and I totally agree that it is a wonderful place to learn.

And I am awfully aware that my skills in the taking picture area are rather lacking, however I will try to take better pictures in the future..

And by the wings so you mean the exterior or the interior? In any case here are a couple more pictures from the other side:

attachicon.gifIMG_6101.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6110.JPG

Looks good, A little darker red as shadows in the inside would make it stand out even more. But it is a minor thing, might as well leave it as is.

But I must say, Very good.

I would like to see more of your work soon.

Keep posting

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums! I like your paint job on this, the colours go together quite well. The paint job was also very neatly painted.

As to being afraid to post your minis, the people on here give extremely good criticism from beginner all the way to to competition level advice.

• Like 1

A fine job! My suggestions for improvement would be to continuously work on achieving darker shadows and brighter highlights while still getting smooth blends. At least that is what I try to challenge myself to improve on each time. Also, for the base, you might try either green stuff, or sand to blend the miniature's attached base with the surface you glue it to. Overall good job and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

• Like 2

Hello to all,

This is my first post and the first time I gathered some courage to present a miniature.. I dare not say 'show off' because there isnt much to show :)

So, requested by my wife, this is my first commission piece :) And her specific request was that I paint it similar to Adrift's color scheme (here).. Quite a challenge!

Wow, I'm honored. 

You did an amazing job and clearly can get the paint where it needs to go. The goal moving forward should be to challenge yourself to use darker tones to really darken up areas that receive less lighting and higher highlights on areas that would get more light to increase your overall light-dark contrast. 

Smooth blending, glazing, etc. all come with practice. My only advice is to keep challenging yourself and keep on painting!!!

• Like 1

I thank you all for your compliments and critiques. I am overjoyed, humbled and enthused to paint and paint and paint!  ^_^

I take it from the consensus that I need to go darker in shadows and lighter in highlights therefore try to achieve better contrast.. I guess I have been reluctant to have great differences in color fearing to get a comical look.. But I understand that painting a mini is all about re-constructing a 3D effect and that requires a palpable contrast.. So I shall work on that and come back for more  :;):

• Like 2

I thank you all for your compliments and critiques. I am overjoyed, humbled and enthused to paint and paint and paint!  ^_^

I take it from the consensus that I need to go darker in shadows and lighter in highlights therefore try to achieve better contrast.. I guess I have been reluctant to have great differences in color fearing to get a comical look.. But I understand that painting a mini is all about re-constructing a 3D effect and that requires a palpable contrast.. So I shall work on that and come back for more  :;):

We will be waiting for your mini's to show up.

You could make a WIP ( Work In Progress) to show off what you are working at, and ask for tips and hints on the go.

Judging by this dragon you will show us some very nice minis I think

• Like 1

We will be waiting for your mini's to show up.

You could make a WIP ( Work In Progress) to show off what you are working at, and ask for tips and hints on the go.

Judging by this dragon you will show us some very nice minis I think

I gather it is possible to present non-reaper minis as well, right?

• Like 2

I gather it is possible to present non-reaper minis as well, right?

As far as I know there are no restrictions on mini makers....as long as they're not naked...the minis that is; the makers would be another thing altogether. SO POST AWAY!

• Like 1

Welcome, and I love the colors.

General mantra is always higher highlights, darker shadows, so that is the goal for all of us. You show good skill and the rest is, well, practice and challenging yourself.

This is a very nice forum and the Reaper peeps have no issue with us showing and painting minis from all manufacturers, so don't worry about that. 

Looking forward seeing more from you!

• Like 1