we tried something different. don't know what others might call it but we refer to them as pizza burgers.

we didn't really use any form of measuring, we were winging it. ::D:

• ground beef (or chicken or turkey or meat de jour...)
  • ground sausage in casing (going to remove casing and use like above ground beef...)
  • red sauce, call it marinara, or spaghetti sauce, gravy, pizza sauce, whatever, use a red tomato based italian style sauce
  • pepperoni slices
  • shredded mozzerella cheese, or sliced if you prefer, or any blend you would put on a pizza
  • various pizza toppings, i.e. sliced mushrooms

using roughly equal parts of the beef and sausage mix them well together(wash your hands first if using those for the mixing...::):) shape into burger patties.

you can be creative and add shredded (or powdered) parm cheese/chopped garlic/herbs & seasonings during the mixing

cook the patties on one side either fry or grill or broil, whatever, it doesn't really matter how, just cook them on one side.

when you flip them, usually while they are cooking on this second side, (obviously under the broiler would mean cook for a bit then top, then broil some more...) top with a spoonful of sauce, a few pepperoni slices, any various pizza toppings and cheese in which ever order you prefer.

I like the sauce, some cheese, the pepperoni and mushrooms, then more cheese, hubby likes all the cheese on top, the teen holds off on the 'shrooms, they all end up fine...

we serve on a plate with a fork and some heated red sauce on the side.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good Recipe for a baked Ham. I made this last night for my family.

Mind you I don't eat pork, so this was a Turkey ham but it will work for a regular ham also.

Ingredients:

Small Turkey Ham

1 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 cups water

Handfull of whole cloves

One large apple, peeled, cored and sliced in wedges.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees farenheit.

Take the ham and press cloves into it one inch apart all over it.

Place the ham into a casserole dish deep enough so that a lid will fit over the ham.

Dump the brown sugar over the ham so some remains on top. Add the water.

Place the Apple wedges around the perimeter of the ham. Place the lid on the ham.

Bake in the oven until apples are soft and the ham is done. For a precooked Turkey ham, this will be roughly a half hour. For a regular uncooked ham this might be an hour or more depending on the ham size.

One small Turkey ham should feed three people.

Remove the cloves before eatting.

Made pie yesterday for today. (Thanksgiving) Anyway, we made Starwberry Rhubarb, not sure how it will turn out sonce we used frozen Rhubabr and strawberries, but since the recipe took that into account...should be fine. Anyway, here is the recipe we followed:

Oven temp 425 degrees

Prepare pastry (Mom's got a fab pie crust recipe)

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup flour

1/2 tsp grated orange peel

2 cups rhubarb

2 cups strawberries

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

mix sugar, flour and orange peel. Turn half of rhubarb and strawberries into pie shell; sprinkle with half the sugar,flour mixture. Repeat with remaining rhubarb and strawberries and sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust that has slits in it; Seal and flute. Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Cover edges with a 2-3 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of cooking.

Bake until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through. 40-50 minutes.

(In spring if using fresh rhubarb, increase sugar to 1 1/3 cups.)

LT

Made pie yesterday for today. (Thanksgiving) Anyway, we made Starwberry Rhubarb, not sure how it will turn out sonce we used frozen Rhubabr and strawberries, but since the recipe took that into account...should be fine. Anyway, here is the recipe we followed:

Oven temp 425 degrees

Prepare pastry (Mom's got a fab pie crust recipe)

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup flour

1/2 tsp grated orange peel

2 cups rhubarb

2 cups strawberries

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

mix sugar, flour and orange peel. Turn half of rhubarb and strawberries into pie shell; sprinkle with half the sugar,flour mixture. Repeat with remaining rhubarb and strawberries and sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust that has slits in it; Seal and flute. Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Cover edges with a 2-3 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of cooking.

Bake until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through. 40-50 minutes.

(In spring if using fresh rhubarb, increase sugar to 1 1/3 cups.)

LT

So, how was it? I gotta know (I need a S-R pie recipe, haven't had a good one in years)

Needed more sugar and flour. But that's the trouble with using frozen rhubarb and strawberries. So if you try it now with the frozen varieties, go with the 1 1/3 cup sugar and add a bit more flour to cut down on the juice. Otherwise it is a great recipee.

LT

Thanks for the update, I'll have to give this one a try

Ok. Reviving this thread because this one is GOOD!!!! ::):

Meat (Beef) Stroganoff

Ingredients:

1/2 cup minced onioin

1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)

1/4 cup butter (margarine)

1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken, possum, etc.)

2 tbsp flour

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 lb fresh mushrooms

1/4 cup milk

1 can (8 oz) cream of mshroom soup

1 cup sour cream

2 tsp Worchestershire sauce

1 tbsp parsley

1. Cook meat. Drain. Set aside.

2. Saute onion and garlic in butter (margarine) over medium heat until it begins to brown.

3. Add flour, salt, pepper, and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes.

4. Add soup, meat, and Worchestershire sauce. Simmer 10 min.

5. Stir in sour cream, milk, and parsley. Cook 3-5 min.

6. Serve over rice or egg noodles.

7. If somebody don't like this, don't let them in your house. ::):::):::):

Speaking of Soups...

Here is an excellent soup I picked up off of allrecipes.com, I made some modifications and it is excellent. To top it all off it can be made in 30 minutes and uses only one pot. Add corn bread and unbutton your pants because you are going to eat too much. ::P:

Chicken Tortilla Soup V

[sNIP for space]

Go get the full recipe HERE!!!

Okay, there is a reason this thread should never be allowed to die.

I was getting together with some friends over the weekend and we were having a Mexican/Southwest style dinner. I volunteered to bring an appetizer. My wife loves tortilla soup, so I agreed to make this. Now granted, I had my nephew over Saturday morning to paint so I needed a recipe that was quick and easy. I scoured a number of sites and my cook books, and couldn't find anything that wasn't fairly time intensive. Then I remembered this thread and this recipe specifically. Dragged it up, printed it out and cooked up about a 2.5x batch.

Smashing success. So good, I made another batch Sunday night for lunch today with the left over supplies ::D:

One change I made, that helped thicken the soup up. I dredged the chicken lightly in corn flour before cooking it in the skillet. Once it got into the soup, the corn flour helped thicken it, without stripping it of any taste.

I also used 1/2 vegetable stock, 1/2 chicken stock. I like the flavor better.

Trader Joes has some great frozen roasted corn. This went perfectly in it.

Thanks a ton Matt!!!

This has got to be one of the best recipe web sites I have ever found

www.cooks.com

for recipe search you can put in ingredients or the name and you'll be amazed. If I'm trying to think of something for dinner and I know I have lets say potatos, cheese, milk, chicken, I put those in and then I get a bunch of ideas

Qwyksilver and any others interested

I have pulled two more killer recipes off of the net. I have started watching Americas Test Kitchen on WTTW and have tried 2 recipes the same day I saw the hosts make them and both are awesome

1. Pasta with Chicken, Broccoli, and Sun-dried Tomatoes (As good if not better than any dish I have had at an Italian Restraunt) Recipe - You will have to register or PM me

This Recipe does take some time to prepare. I also added 2 Cups of the chees instead of one, it was an accident, but since when has cheese hurt a dish

2. Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chile Sauce - Excellent and has nice diagrams for beginner chefs. Recipe, you have to register or PM me

the enchiladas were even better the next day

I can't wait to try more recipes from this show. Overall they ar not too difficult of recipes and the payout is well worth the time.

<span style='color:purple'>Anyone have any good Salsa recipes? Got scads of tomatos and want to use them up. Plan on making spaghetti souce and salsa.

LT</span>

No store bought salsa comes close to homemade salsa.

I take 8-12 plum tomatos and boil them until the skins crack. I then place those tomatos in a strained in the sink and allow them to cool. While they are cooling, take 3-5 green onions, about 1/4 cup of cilantro, and 1-2 Jalapenos or more (if you like to burn your tongue out) and place it all into a food processor and chop it up very finely. Once cooled you peel the skins off and add them to the food processor 1-2 at a time until everything is liquid. Add salt to taste, spritz lime juice to taste, well actually everything is to taste. I got this one from my mexican brother-in-law. I have a recipe for chopped salsa but have yet to try it.

I am looking for a good tamale recipe if anyone has any. Fish Tacos for anyone who has experience with those. Fish tacos are my favorite thing in California. I drive my sister crazy when I visite her because I have to have them every day I am there. I have tried fish Tacos in other states but have never been happy with them.

America's Test Kitchen is a Massachusetts Local PBS Show. It's wonderful!!! If you get a chance, there is often a show following it called Master Class, it's the Johnson & Wales (RI) culinary arts program. They video actual classes. It's great.

If you like ATK, they have a number of great recipe books and they are the people that also give you Cook's Illustrated the magazine. Great magazine. It's like a culinary version of Consumer Reports.

Here's one of my knockoff favorites. Very EASY, makes a ton and is DELICIOUS!! :wub:

Max and Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup (a cheddar cheese based soup)

3 cans Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup

2 cans Campbell's Cream of Celery soup

3 cans Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup

2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth

1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1 cup Pace medium picante salsa

1 (4.5 ounce) can Ortega green chilies

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cloves fresh garlic, minced

1 teaspoon red chili powder, more or less to your taste

Salt and pepper to your taste

1/4 cup fresh, chopped cilantro

4 cooked chicken breasts cut into small chunks

1 package flour tortillas

1/2 pound longhorn style Colby cheese

Sour cream (optional)

In a large stockpot combine and whisk together until smooth all eight cans of soup. Add chicken broth. Add tomatoes, salsa, green chilies, onion, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper.

Bring all ingredients to a full boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.

Add cilantro and chicken breast chunks. Simmer another hour.

While soup is simmering, make your soup toppings: Cut flour tortillas into quarter inch thin strips and deep fry in hot oil until lightly browned.

Shred cheese (or buy shredded cheese to start with).

To serve: Ladle soup into bowls, top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips.

debby ^_^