• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Debby, you just absolutely made my wife's night. All I did was mention "Look a recipe for Max and

IRMAS TORILLA SOUP? OH MY GOD THATS MY FAVORITE. SAVE IT! ::D:

The only reason she goes to Max & Irma's is for the soup!

I love :wub: the stuff too (it's usually what I order), and this version tastes just as good (if not better)! You must try out the recipe!!!

Wish I could see you when you're in town this weekend - don't get lost on the way to Guardtower!

debby ^_^

Fried Wonton Appetizer

Wonton wrappers (one package makes about 40-50)

One small package turkey italian sausage

one egg

3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.

water

vegetable oil

wok

Cook the sausage without it's skin. Use about 3 links worth. Drain and put into a food processor. Add the Cheese and egg. Process till well blended and the sausage is well ground.

Take one wonton wrapper, place a spoonful of the mixture in the center and then fold over the wrapper as per instructions on the package. Use the water to dampen the edges of the wonton wrapper to get it to stay together.

Heat the oil in a wok till about 375F. Drop in the wontons, a handfull at a time and fry till slightly golden, roughly one minute. Remove from the oil and drain. Serve with marinara sauce.

Wish I could see you when you're in town this weekend - don't get lost on the way to Guardtower!

debby ^_^

My rental car is equipped with a GPS navigator. I just need to enter in the address to the Tower. If I get lost, it's my own fault ::D: It's even closer than I thought!!! 30 minutes away. :bday:

<span style='color:purple'>Anyone have any good Salsa recipes? Got scads of tomatos and want to use them up. Plan on making spaghetti souce and salsa.

LT</span>

No store bought salsa comes close to homemade salsa.

I take 8-12 plum tomatos and boil them until the skins crack. I then place those tomatos in a strained in the sink and allow them to cool. While they are cooling, take 3-5 green onions, about 1/4 cup of cilantro, and 1-2 Jalapenos or more (if you like to burn your tongue out) and place it all into a food processor and chop it up very finely. Once cooled you peel the skins off and add them to the food processor 1-2 at a time until everything is liquid. Add salt to taste, spritz lime juice to taste, well actually everything is to taste. I got this one from my mexican brother-in-law. I have a recipe for chopped salsa but have yet to try it.

I am looking for a good tamale recipe if anyone has any. Fish Tacos for anyone who has experience with those. Fish tacos are my favorite thing in California. I drive my sister crazy when I visite her because I have to have them every day I am there. I have tried fish Tacos in other states but have never been happy with them.

I have a similar salsa recipie, however I have to warn anyone chopping peppers to wear gloves (those thin, disposable, latex style are great unless you're allergic) as there is a chemical within the pepper that will make your skin feel like it's burning. I learned that the hard way. If you DO get the stuff on your hands, wash them in milk to remove the burn feeling (they don't actually burn the skin). Water will not work.

My salsa:

5-6 Serrano peppers

1-2 Jalapeno peppers

1 Habanero pepper (now you see why I wear gloves :lol: )

1 whole medium sized onion (red/purple are better in flavor but use what you like)

1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

1-2 cloves chopped garlic (remember the smaller the size, the more intense the taste)

5-6 plum tomatos cooked and peeled or 1 large can whole tomatos - squeeze out the seeds for either

Juice from 1 lime (or lemon if no lime is available)

Spices for flavor (I use cumin and salt) to taste

spare chips for testing the flavor

1 blender or large food processor

For a hotter salsa, remove the seeds but leave the interior membrane of the peppers. For more mild salsa, remove the membrane. That's the part that contains most of the heat. Also, the smaller the pepper, the more heat it will tend to have, and the redder/more orange the pepper, the more heat (so an orange serrano will have more heat than a green one).

Cook the tomatos until the skin is cracked (roasting gives more flavor) if you're using fresh ones. Allow to cool to room temperature before peeling. If they don't peel easily, cook some more. For any tomatos, squeeze out the seeds into a strainer over a bowl. Get rid of the seeds, as they add bitterness. Reserve the juice in case it is needed.

Cut the stems/ends off the peppers and cut into fourths. Cut the onion into eighths. Throw everything into your blender and use the lowest pulse setting to chop and mix everything. Add some of the remaining tomato juice as needed for desired consistency/thickness. Use the chips to taste test for spices (mostly I use it to determine how much salt to add as it does help add to the flavor). Pour into mason jars and keep in the refrigerator. Normally makes about 2 large jars (size? I don't know! :upside: ).

If you so desire, you can chop everything by hand (just make SURE to definately use those gloves) and make it chunkier. Just chop everything into slightly larger pieces (except the spices). This makes good chilé con queso, or...

Get some Monterey Jack cheese

4-6 Poblano peppers

Corn Masa

Milk

Egg

Mix the cheese with salsa.

Cut open the poblano peppers on one side, remove the seeds and membranes, but keep the pepper intact. Stuff with the cheese and salsa mixture.

Mix the milk and egg.

Divide the corn masa onto two plates. Roll the peppers in one plate, dip into the milk/egg mixture, then roll again on the next corn masa plate.

Fry in oil until crispy. Drain well.

Top with queso and serve hot. Mmm, Chilé Rellenos.

No. The membrane inside the pepper (what the seeds stick to) is where most of the heat is. Remove all of that and you can make it more mild, but it will not necessarily remove the heat. Best advice for you is either get yourself on Nexium, or use peppers other than what I listed that are more mild. Jalapenos come in various heat ranges. Find some very large, dark green ones and they should be more mild (no guarantees, though).

Or make Tomatilla sauce. It's a green sauce that is quite mild with little to no heat.

Resurrecting an old topic...

Pinto Beans

1 pound Pinto Beans

8-10 cups water

4 strips uncooked bacon

juice from one lime

Spices (salt, pepper, sugar, oregano, cilantro, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, minced onion)

1 cup of favorite mild chunky salsa (not pureed, as you want the chunks of tomato and peppers and onion)

Rinse the beans thoroughly, picking out any small stones or bad beans (I found a couple sprouting roots, but this does not mean the whole bag is bad).

Soak the beans. This can be done 1 of two ways:

Quick: Dump the beans in a large pot (I used the one I cook spaghetti noodles in) and add 8 cups of hot water. Add some salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and cilantro to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for two minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit for an hour to an hour and a half.

Slow: Dump the beans in a large pot and add 8 cups of cold water. Cover and allow to sit in the water overnight. This is not my preferred method. I've never had success using this method.

Once beans have soaked, turn on heat and bring to boil. Add bacon, salsa, lime juice and rest of spices (to taste - but wait until the bacon has cooked to taste) and cook for about fifteen minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer until the beans are to the desired softness (about 4-5 hours) over low heat. Stir occassionally. You may cook longer, as desired. You may also use a crock pot on low, but cook them longer, 8-10 hours.

Once done you have tasty beans, and a lot of them. I tend to divide the pot and reserve some, freezing it if need be, and the rest become...

Refried Beans:

In skillet on stove (I use an iron skillet for this) cook four - five pieces of bacon until very crispy. Remove from skillet and allow to cool and harden. Do not remove the oil. Turn heat down to medium. Drain beans (but reserve the juice!) and add to skillet. Using a potato masher stir and mash beans while "frying" in medium heat skillet. Add juice from beans as needed and mash and stir to desired consistency. Crumble cooked bacon into the beans and serve warm. Top with Monterey Jack and/or Cheddar cheese if desired. Works well for chalupas and burritos, too.

Enjoy!

Oooh.. salsa beans!

Here we've been adding salsa to our black beans and it really wakes up the flavour.

BUT what you NEED is mexican cornbread to go with those beans.

(this isn't a hard-fast recipe..and often I like to ad-lib in the kitchen)

Start with cornbread batter enough to almost fill your pan or casserole. Add a can of cream-style corn right to the batter and then pour half the batter into the casserole.

(Here's where it gets goooood)

Pile in shredded cheese, chopped chilis, a bit of seasoned sausage perhaps, or perhaps not..and some sour cream too, and then pour on the remaining batter. Bake the thing til it's done.

(My father used to ask, "How do I know it's done?". My mother would always answer, "How do you know when a bucket is full?")

I personally like to leave out the peppers or use greek peppers rather than jalapenos. I'm a wimp, I know.

For those who can't guess it's summer....... time to BBQ!!! A good marinade for those who are not on a diet or diabetic is one I love in a charcoal smoker with the water pan. Also I like to add wood chips to help flavor as well mesquite is a fav.

1 brisket of size for the family( steak ansd chicken can be subed)

2 large bottles of Lea & Perrins wochestershire sauce( name brand only

a personal choice.)

1 lb. brown sugar

24 ounces of beer of choice.

garlic and other spices of choice to go on the brisket.

Pour all the worchestershire sauce in a large bowl or pot that the brisket will fit in completely as you will submerge the meat. Add brown sugar and stir to disolve the sugar add sugar to your taste. I will almost always go with the full pound. once you have the sugar and worsty mixed to taste add the beer to the mix. Now take a fork and vent your frustration on the poor brisket after trimming the fat to your requirements, perferate the outside of the meat to about a 1/16 th of inch to help with the meat absorbing the marinade. Soak the brisket over night in the marinade, if needed add water to cover the meat. When ready to cook remove the meat and rub with the spices and place in the smoker the marinade goes in the water pan to help cook more flavor into the meat. slow smoke for about 8 to 14 hours keep the fire at a good even temp for the time of cooking and check the liquad level in the bowl reagularly to keep it topped off with water to prevent the meat from drying out. when done there will be a smoke ring about the same depth, if not deeper than the perferations made during the marinade. this works very well as the sugar carmalizes and seals the meat keeping all the flavor in the meat. If you are on a low fat diet be sure to get lean or trim the meat well. This works well for steaks and chicken but I prefer it on brisket. A side note a propane grill can be used but to me dose'nt get the same results.

Garm- man I miss not haveing a smoker now.

I found a chocolate sauce recipe online and made it non-dairy for my husband. He's been tweaking this continually since.

Mark's Fudge Sauce

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey's Dark Cocoa powder is good)

* sweetener mixture

* 3 tablespoons soy margarine

* 1/2 cup rice milk or almond milk

* 1/8 tsp vanilla (or to taste -- probably not needed if you use vanilla-flavored milk)

Sweetener mixture:

* Original: 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup white sugar

* Low-sugar: 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup Splenda granular

* Minimal sugar: 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 cup Splenda granular

Directions:

Combine the cocoa powder and sweetener mixture in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the rice or almond milk over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until bubbles form around the edges. Stir in the sugar mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes until mixtures is smooth.

Notes:

* If you use almond milk you have to be *much* more careful about stirring the entire time it's on the stove. Almond milk burns more easily than rice milk.

* The longer you cook this, the thicker it will be when it cools.

* If the fudge sauce gets lumpy due to insufficient stirring, press it thru a wire mesh strainer.

Cornbread on the Barbie:

I don't have a specific recipie for cornbread I'm putting in here. Get a bag of mix and use a 1/2 recipie from the package. If the recipie does not call for egg and a little oil, replace some of the water or milk with those items so your bread will stick to itself but not the pan.

For this you need one of those heavy iron cornbread stick molds. If you have a thermometer on your grill, a range of 400 - 450 degrees F. is ideal.

Put about a 1/2 T. of oil in each individual mold and move the mold around to spread it. Put the mold on your grill and allow it to heat until the oil is bubbly. Pour in the cornbread mix until it is even with the top of the mold. Close the lid on your grill and let it cook until firm and dry to the touch on top (about 10 -15 min.) The cornbread will be brown and crunchy on the bottom and tender on top.

If you want an added treat, put a little Italian Herb mix and some Garlic Salt in the mix. Use olive oil and a sprinkle of Italian Herb mix on your mold.

The first time you use your mold, it will stick like crazy unless you season it. Wash throughly with hot soap and water to remove shipping lubricants before use. To season, coat with oil, heat in the grill, then cool it and wipe away the excess. Do not wash a seasoned cast iron mold in soap and water; you will remove the seasoning. Instead rinse it with hot water and scrub off any crumbs with an abrasive pad. Reseason if needed.

Do-it-yourself Barbeque sauce

1 small can tomato paste

1/4 c. dried apricots, diced fine

1 c. water

1/4 c. finely diced onions

1/4 c. finely diced celery tops*

1 T. crushed garlic (jarred variety is fine)

1 t. Chinese Five Spice

2 T. dark molassas

2 T. apricot preserves

1 t. liquid smoke (may need to user a little less, this stuff is potent)

1/2 t. season salt

a couple twists of the pepper grinder

1 t. Worcestershire sauce

2 t. prepared mustard

Simmer the dried apricots in the water until they are reconstituted, then add remainding ingredients. Simmer until reduced to a good consistancy and the veggies are tender. Measurements may not be exact so feel free to adjust for your own taste.

*Celery tops - I buy the large stalks of celery, never the "hearts" of celery. I take the big stalk and cut it in half, then cut off the bottom. The leafy parts are used for seasoning, especially boths, soups, and the like. The bottom parts are for crunching or cooking in things like stir fry. The big bottom piece can be cooked in making broth.

Old threads never die...

Stormhammer's chicken fajitas!

3 pounds of chicken breasts, boned and skinned.

1/2 cup taco seasoning mix.

Enough water to make the mix into a paste.

Usual fajita fixin's. Tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, onion...

This takes an outdoor grill, so fire up the BBQ!

Mix the chicken and the mix and the water into a big ziplock bag, and smoosh it around so everything's covered. Let it marinade for ~1 hour.

Chop up your favorite fajita fixin's, set them on a large plate (and keep in the fridge for now).

Over a medium heat grill, place the chicken breast pieces on the grill, flipping once every six minutes.

When done (~24 min, 4 flips), take them off the grill and let them rest ~10 minutes.

Slice into thin strips, serve and get the heck out of the way from the mindless hordes that will attack the grub.

--Iron Chef Stormhammer.

So to get chicken breast to cook evenly and quickly on the grill, I like to slip them between 2 pieces of saran, and give them a couple of blows with a meat tenderizer. This is almost a requirement with Kroger brand chicken breast, as they can sometimes be real real tough.

Today, I sprinkled both sides with Penzey's fox point seasoning. After a couple of blows, the seasoning was mushed into the chicken.

I then grilled the chicken, and slapped it on 2 pieces of bread, each with a light layer of mayo to prevent sogginess. I then whipped out my "Sweet Chili Sauce for Chicken", available in most asian markets in the thai section, and gave it a good covering. Man was it tasty. Sweet chili sauce isn't really that hot, but it is yummy.

If you haven't heard of Penzey's, you must either visit their stores, or shop online. Fox point is wonderful on poultry and fish.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

Fox Point : http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-p...ysfoxpoint.html

Sandwhich Sprinkle is also yummy: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscrouton.html

Also, their pizza seasoning and pasta seasoning are awesome as well.

Meh - Penzey's. I go to the original - The Spice House. I work a few blocks from there and can walk to the store at lunchtime.

Mmmmm.... The smell is just wunnerful!

We made garlic bread using the Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle a few weeks ago. It was right tasty.

(BTW - Fox Point is a village of Milwaukee. Hubby's great uncle had a house there. Very posh.)