Paenut clusters

1 16oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips

1 16 oz bag of butterscotch chips

1 16 oz bag of salted spanish peanuts (The kind with the red "husk" on still)

IN a double boiler melt the bags of chips together until mixture is smooth. Stir constantly to avoid burning. Add in spanish peanuts. Mix in well, reduce heat. Use two spoons to drop chocolate covered peanuts onto wax paper cover cookie sheets. Refrigerate till set. Eat and enjoy!

(Now where is my skoli info!?)

Lady Tam

Should it be deep fried "Elvis" style,or eaten raw?

How the heck would you deep fry a peanut butter and bannanna sandwich anyway?

There is a wire contraption special made for this, sort of like the wire baskets made for making popcorn over a fire.  Place the item of your choice in it, close it up, grasp by the long handle, and plunge into fat fryer.  Pressure on the handle keeps it closed, and holds the sandwich together.

If you could see my waistline, you would understand how I know these things...  :)

On the topic of bananas!

Banana Sundae sauce

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1 - 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

1 Tablespon water

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 cup sliced firm bananas (about 2 large)

Vanilla ice cream

In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the confectioners' sugar, water and lemon juice until smooth. Cook over meduim-low heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Fold in bananas. Serve warm over ice cream. Yeilds about two cups of sauce.

LT

Another good Summer recipe!

Chicken Salad

8 cups diced chiken breast

2 cups diced celery

1/2 cup chopped pimento

1/2 cup water chestnuts chopped, drained

1 - 20oz cans pineapple chunks well drained

1.2 cups pecans, chopped

Dressing

1 cup Mayo

1 cup cream

1 cup sugar

1 tsp curry powder

1/2 tasp pepper

1/2 tbsp salt

Combine chiken, celery, pimento, water chestnuts, pineapple & Pecans. Mix all dressing ingredients and pour over chiken mixture. refrigerate. Serve on Lettuce base.

(This stuff taste fantastic!)

Lady Tam

lstormhammer's insanely good curry.

I've been working on my curry recipe for some time (as many of you know) and this is the current contender that comes out amazingly good. This recipe can be altered to vegetarian tastes, I've not yet attempted vegan on this one, but it shouldn't be too hard, replace the chicken with tofu, or broccoli, or what have you.

2lbs chicken thighs, boned and skinned (they're cheaper than breast meat, and tastier, IMHO)

2 medium, or one large onion, sliced thin

2 medium, or one large red bell pepper, sliced thin

2 14.5oz cans of vegetable broth (I've done this with chicken broth, the Veg makes it taste better)

1 big handful of basil leaves. No stems.

a small pat of butter or a jigger of olive oil.

salt

Masala (usually a combination of hot paprika, chili powder, black pepper, garlic powder, dried ginger, red pepper flakes, cinnimon, and cumin) about 2 tlbs total.

2 packages of Sun and Bird curry base (small gold package, it's yummy)

Heat oil over low heat, add onion and bell peppers and a dash of salt. You want to sweat these over low heat until they become brown and nutty (yum!)

Add the basil, veg broth, any other tasty veggies you want. This is more a matter of personal taste than anything.

Cover and let this come to a gentle simmer.

Chop the onion into bit-sized pieces, brown in a medium-heat pan until golden, brown, and delicious. Add chicken parts to proto-curry.

Let the whole mess simmer as long as you want. The longer you let it simmer, the tastier it becomes.

about 20 minutes before serving, fire up your favorite rice-producing ability, I usually make mine in a rice cooker, as I'm lousy with stovetop rice.

About 5 minutes before serving, chop up the curry base into tiny cubes, and drop into the curry. Stir slowly until everything comes together. The correct consistancy should be 'Gravy-like'.

If it's too thick (like you can stand a spatula in it) add some chicken broth until it reaches the correct consistancy. Too thin? Add a small slurry of cornstarch, and stir until thickened.

Serve over the rice (I reccomend Basmati or Jasmine) serve with some bread and you're set.

--Iron Chef LSH

here is our cooking thread! If you guys thought those two recipes were something check out some of these guys! We have everything from spicy hot to oh so sweet in here!

Lady Tam

Shredded pork.

3 lbs pork shoulder, bone-in.

1/4 cup taco seasoning mix (more if you prefer)

1 sweet onion

1 bell pepper (red)

2 cups veg broth or chicken stock.

--

Place shoulder in crockpot

dice onion and pepper into 1/4th inch cubes, add to 'pot

add liquid and taco seasoning, cover and let set for 6 hours on high, 8 hours on low.

Make up your taco fixins, pull bone from pot, shread remaining mixture, serve, eat, burp, have a cervesa, nap.

--lstormhammer

Shredded pork.

I do one that is close, but I go from scratch, no mix.

Makes great tamale filling.

I prefer a boneless pork blade roast, about 2-3 pounds.  I trim the fat, as well as I can, and put it in a large pot, and nearly cover it with water.

Add 2 large quartered onions,

3 fresh chopped jalapeno peppers,

8 minced garlic cloves,

2 teaspoon ground coriander

2 teaspoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons crushed dried oregano,

1/2 teaspoon salt (I use kosher)

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered 2-3 hours until tender.  Remove from liquid, shred meat, use in meal.

If you use a crock pot, low setting for 8-10 hours, high setting 4-5, and reduce water to about a cup.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      Coincidentally, I had this figure very nearly done two days ago when the sad news of Diana Rigg’s passing was made public.

It always was a tribute to her incandescent portrayal of Emma Peel in the old British TV show “The Avengers”, but now it’s a memorial as well. Requiescas in pacem, Ms. Rigg.

The figure is “Pandora King (Classic)” from Crooked Dice miniatures. Crooked Dice has a minis game based on cult TV and they’ve produced a lot of different figures suitable for that sort of storytelling.

• By Pingo
      Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.

This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.

I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.

Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.

Technical notes:

• By Rigel
      Slaad from Nolzur's. Blue and Green painted in their normal colors; Death and Gray panted in red and black. 
      Not just for fantasy; also make good spacemonsters and post-apocalyptic mutant/invaders, as shown here.

• By Crusoe the Painter
      So hey, I've known you guys for years. Kinda dropped off when we had kids, but I think everyone here is pretty level headed and only a handful know me IRL. 

This is rambling, and long.

The whole mess is this.

I am obsessed with Japan. Literally obsessed. I had a wonderful two week trip with my wife there. Before that I spent a few months learning Japanese so that reading the signs, knowing kinda the gist of what people were saying, etc, was somewhat possible. My interest actually started around back when I was teen, around bonsai and arts and craft, and the influence Japanese design had on it.

The language is brutal. I want to know more. The culture is fascinating. The food in general delicious.

The food? Eatting it, cooking, drinking green tea and matcha saved my guts. I shed 20 lbs, kept it off, my digestion improved. My IBS improved, my sibo went away. 

The wife had a blast, and she's like "You know, if an American firm gave you enough money to work there, I would be for it". She's in love with the quilt books and fabric stores. A Japanese bookstores is like US bookstores in their heyday. They're stocked and wonderful. The craft stores have everything you could need. 

Our only concern would be navigating the possibly brutal Japanese education system, or finding a expensive foreign school for our kids. 

So here I am making good money as a software dev. But I'm kinda of tired, doing basically glorious rest apis to backend datastores. I tried my hand at a Japanese joint for carpentry and didn't 100% flub it up. And it was enjoyable. I helped my parents prune some trees, chop up wood, and the immediacy of the feedback was refreshing. I told them "Man, I hate mowing but I could do this all day". And when I learned of temple carpentry and saw what they did, it stirred something deep inside. Like maybe I missed my calling, but it just could be my late midlife crisis.

My parents are loving, and good. But sometimes I feel I am needled more for my interests than my sister. I don't need to have jokes, no matter how good natured, made about every project I want to do. Like yes, I am weird, and odd, and I have been for 40 years, I don't need to hear it again. You all enjoy my cooking, so kinda cut me some slack when I want to build a hibachi or irori, and try my hand at some really old school robotayaki/yakitori.

No one looks at you too weird if you're a fan of french cuisine and buy french wine and cheese, and maybe visited Paris. 

But start talking about buying your own block of dried aged smoked bonito, and a proper plane to shave it with, and they look at you funny.

It's been ten months since the trip. I still have dreams about it. I think the covid isolation is making it worse. Because of the commute, and now covid, I really don't have anyone to talk to. There is a Japanese Culture center just up the road, with the local university, and a Japanese Language group. But basically, its entire focus is around their yearly anime convention. So I don't have any cooking/culture outlet there. Why not call it an anime club? Don't be misleading. The Culture center doesn't seem to have many programs beyond being festooned with a garden and supporting the Japanese language program.

Oh well, they do offer language classes, and since we will be working from home for the foreseeable future, maybe I should sign up. 

I don't know what I am looking for. 

Just venting more than anything.

I keep saying I don't want to feel bad for enjoying the things I like, but I still do. Why does everything need a comment?

"Oh, you could go into special FX"  said during the last dot bomb by my mom.

"Well, I had an interest in that kind of stuff, but you didn't like me drawing monsters, or telling me what I liked wasn't true art."

I know some of it she probably got from her dad about her interests, but sheesh.
    • By Pingo
      These are two copies of the Reaper Bones Large Earth Elemental 77185, sculpted by Kevin Williams.

I saw someone, I can’t recall who, paint up, it might have been one of these, like cooling lava which I thought was lovely, so I wanted to give it a try. I painted the lava version very quickly, in a few sessions: A layer of butter-yellow intensified with yellow glazing, then laying on pure black paint rather thickly, then some washes of Quinacridone Magenta and some fiddling with that and yellow on the gems.

The rock version I painted v-e-r-y slowly, in many layers over time, often with whatever paint was left on my palette from other paintings. I’m not sure when I started it, but since I haven’t painted any minis at all for the last year, it’s been some time.

I thought it interesting how very different a sculpt can look depending on how you paint it.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)