Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hello everyone! After seeing @Kangaroorex Grenadier 9601, Black Dragon, I decided it was time for me to salvage mine from the shelf of shame. Thanks for the motivation Kangaroorex. This model was sculpted by William Watt in 1988. Unfortunately, the one I bought some years ago had a few battle scars. It has a broken horn and a broken wing claw. Its main tail stinger and tongue were also broken. As a reference, the base is 75mm wide.
The last of my player characters I painted up for Frostrun is Ophelia Pokitz, a young halfling with sticky fingers. They're represented here by Bailey Silverbell.
Ophelia was a fun mini as well. Was my first time painting a humanoid with large facial features, which made it a lot easier to bring definition to the nose, lips, and eyes. I think I even hit the cheeks with a bit of blush. I also had fun trying to make their cloak look like it was made of fur. The result is acceptable, but might also just look snow covered. You can be the judge. I also enjoyed painting a rogue that was both colorful, but subdued. The dark greens and magentas add some much needed life to the otherwise dark mini, in my opinion.
More Photos beneath the spoiler:
Ophelia Pokitz is what you would call a troubled teen. Orphaned at a young age, Ophelia spent much of their childhood passing from orphanage to orphanage, always finding a way to get kicked out. They eventually left the system and struck out on their own, traveling to some of the larger cities in search of a better life. Over the years, Ophelia has learned to use their small size and tiny hands to "reposes" any valuables that aren't bolted down. This habit has put them on a wanted list in many towns across the countryside. Pushed further north, Ophelia has found themselves in the town of Harpy's Hearth. Ignorant of their southern reputation, and full of gold-carrying adventurers, this could be a great place for Ophelia to catch a break and line their own pockets. It could also be a great place to find a new family. If they can survive the darkness to come.
Read their story and check out the rest of the Frostrun project HERE.
By Dan S
Dan's Build Journal #1
Completed Project Photos:
My Other Build Journals:
I recently undertook the task of creating several display pieces to serve as scenic backdrops when photographing my miniatures, however being the procrastinator that I am, I have instead found myself with an ever growing pile of unfinished projects. In an effort to break this cycle I am no longer allowing myself to start new projects until my current one is complete. I figure a progress journal would be a great way to hold myself accountable, and hopefully by sharing my build process even inspire others into giving diorama building a try.
Anyway, without further ado here is my current work in progress, a good old fashioned hobbit hole, my interpretation of Bag End. I managed to pick up a cheap and incomplete resin kit (front wall and chimney) on Ebay a while back. I painted it about a month ago, and it has sat on my desk gathering dust ever since. Today I finally started to put in some real work on the build.
29/05/20 - Laying the foundation.
The first job was to lay the foundations of the build. I hot glued thick polystyrene sheets to an old photo frame and then cut them to shape using a hot wire cutter. The challenging part was then getting the front wall to fit convincingly into the hill, being an incomplete kit, the front wall was completely rectangular and just didn't look right no matter how I positioned it. To fix this, I measured out and then cut some thick card stock in to triangular sections, and then cut some thinner strips to match the wooden beams on the front of the house. I then glued these to the house so that the walls now followed the contours of the hill more organically. I also made some curtains using some old fabric (The original kit has holes for windows and I needed to hide the polystyrene behind them).
Next I mixed up some Sculptamold and started to cover the polystyrene and base of the picture frame before adding some rocks that I had cast previously with Plaster of Paris (They are probably hard to make out in the photo, as they blend in with the white sculptamold, but once painted they should stand out nicely). With that done I decided to call it a day, and give the sculptamold the night to fully dry before adding any paint. And that is pretty much how I spent my Friday afternoon.
Apologies for the poor picture quality, I took the photo during the evening in poor lighting with my ancient phone camera. I'll get some better pictures up once I have something more substantial to share.
Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.
This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.
I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.
Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.
Printed this out a while ago and made a base for her with the Greenstuffworld Cobblestone Roller and a twig.
The primer came out a bit chalky will try to remedy that. But for now I've basecoated her boots.
Leather can be a bit rough so it's alright.
Who's Online 17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)