Sign in to follow this  
Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other --- June 2015

Welcome back to our June installment of everyone's favorite Q&A thread.  It would have been a T&A thread but this is a family friendly forum.

Question the 1st of June: What is your favorite historical melee weapon?

• Like 3

Glaive guisarme fauchard-glaive bec de corbin glaive halberd-glaive glaive glaive glaive bill.

That's the technical term, of course.

• Like 3

I believe the French translates as "stabby thing on a pole."

• Like 3

I've always been a fan of the kukri myself.

• Like 2

Answer #

1. Battleaxe

I don't have one. I just like the sound of the word. Makes a great name for a man-O-war even...HMS Battleaxe. Now that is a ship that means business.

But to own one? If money were no object? Then I would change my answer to:

1. Basket-hilted Claymore

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

Hmm. There's a question.

Of those I own? We have a pair of full-length swept-hilt rapiers that are just gorgeous. We don't get to play with them very often, though...

That I don't own? One of these days I'll have a stage-worthy Schiavona made for me, along with a nice Venetian-style buckler.

• Like 1

Question 1: Probably a Bo/Quarterstaff, it doesn't get much simpler than a stick, anyone can find one, and if you train with it, you can become pretty damned effective.  My brother and I studied Bo for a number of years at my karate school, and had fun sparring with them, though funnily, the headmasters didn't allow that in the dojo...something, something, something...liability...something...  So we just used the back yard.  :)  Lots of bloody knuckles, but man, it was fun to learn.

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this