my priming method. Anyone else do this?

Oh wow, well... here I thought I was all creative n' stuff. Ill check out that other method you suggested!! Thanks!

You came up with the idea on your own, so it *is* the result of creativity. Artists are known for creativity.

Optivisor is pretty common. (It's what I have and what I see most commonly.)

If you're nearsighted and don't have particularly bad astigmatism, taking your glasses off is optically equivalent to wearing magnifiers.

If I were to do it again, I might just buy reading glasses from the drugstore, since they're inexpensive and seem to be pretty good optically.

I started out with cheap reading glasses, but for details on a 28mm mini like eyes and lips etc, I find the visor necessary.

It was rather cheap and works well.

I am not at home, when I get back i will look at the brand.

Changing the lenses is just clicking them in place.

If I had not purchased this, i would have either given up the hobby.. or only paint 90mm minis :ph34r:

EDIT: if you search ebay for this, it will show up. Is under 10 dollars now.

Of course there are other versions too, maybe even better ones.

Head Visor Magnifier Magnifying Glass w/2 LED Lights + 4 lenses for Archaeology

Considering purchasing a visor myself as I'm pretty nearsighted (though I have good eyeglasses), and working without my glasses means being within eye poking distance with the brush.

So I've rechecked eBay with keywords like "headband magnifier" and it turns up plenty of inexpensive results (mostly Chinese imports by my guess) that are probably just as good as Optivisors.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do wear glasses (especially with astigmatism), then it might be worth getting a pair of painting glasses made.  And then use an optivisor or mageyes or similar if desired.

If you do get a pair of painting glasses made, bring a mini and a brush so that you and the optometrist can play with magnification and focal distance.

I'm very happy with the pair of painting glasses that I had made a few years ago.  A worthwhile investment for me.

Ron 

• Like 2

I use that technique, more or less.  Prime thinly with white, then a wash of watered down Burnt Umber to bring out the details.  It helps tremendously.

I use a roughly $12 head visor magnifier with a little light I got from Amazon and was greatly amused to later see that exact model worn by an actor playing a scientist on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I do normally wear glasses and I am nearsighted. I just look over the top when painting, but I think that a magnifier would help for the "painting of individual atoms" as my son calls it. I'm going to check em out

• Like 3

I do something like it, I usually start with a heavy wash of brown liner. Either almost nondiluted on bones, or watered down on top of a grey primer on metals :)

I am blessed to be young enough for my eyesight to be working pretty well. Something to be thankful for :)

• Like 1

I use an Ott light. It's a light specifically for hobbies. If possible, buy the bulb only to save on costs. Any strong light might do.

The main problem I have with magnifiers and visors is that the brush tip gets bigger as well! :D

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=45004

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2012/03/review-ott-lite-task-lamp.html

• Like 1