I heard brown liner mentioned several times and I now understand that it's great for Bones for several reasons.

And now I have several more questions:

1. What's a liner?
  2. How is brown liner specifically used on Bones?
  3. Are there any tutorials or posts on how it's used both in general and/or on Bones?
  4. Can someone link the Reaper product: brown liner?

• Like 3
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. See the stickied thread in this very subforum: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/22079-paint-product-descriptions-more-information/

2. People tend to use the liners for base coats on Bones because it adheres well, while also being thinner than 'normal' MSP. Bones are hydrophobic, so thinning a base coat with water doesn't work well.

3. Some people talk about using it on Bones here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/

4. The search tool in the online store works well: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/brown%20liner

• Like 5

I heard brown liner mentioned several times and I now understand that it's great for Bones for several reasons.

And now I have several more questions:

• What's a liner?
  • How is brown liner specifically used on Bones?
  • Are there any tutorials or posts on how it's used both in general and/or on Bones?
  • Can someone link the Reaper product: brown liner?

In general it's to use as a transition/shadow between different types of material/areas on a figure like skin and clothing or clothing and armor.

For bones: It's used as a "primer" unthinned and will for some reason adhere better to bones than other paints, but not only brown liner, any color of Reaper MSP liner as show in link below for the store.

See Wren's tutorial: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/

Link to Reaper Store, very simple looking up "liner": http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Liner

• Like 4

I found that the best way to understand the purpose of liner for "black lining" is to think of comic book drawings. You have colour over distinct areas, but all of them are clearly distinct and separated by black lines.

Using the same principle on minis, each major area is separated by the dark line (or brown when flesh tones are involved, or dark blues with metal armors). It may give an exaggerated cartoony look, but each section will stand out more.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

Thank you so much, everyone!

Wow, that's seems kinda pricey for 1/2 oz  ::o: , now I understand why people want 8 oz bottles of brown liner in the Bones 3 KS  ::):.

Their liners are same price and size as their MSP paints, HD Paints, and brush-on-primers:poke:

But yeah, people want bigger bottles of their liners since they are multi-functional.

• Like 2

Honestly?

Outside of black, white, and possibly a small handful of other colors, as well as the utility stuff (like liners and primers) that one small bottle of paint will last you for YEARS. There are those of us on these forums who still have bottles from the original run of the Master Series Paints, and they're not empty yet.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 8

Honestly?

Outside of black, white, and possibly a small handful of other colors, as well as the utility stuff (like liners and primers) that one small bottle of paint will last you for YEARS. There are those of us on these forums who still have bottles from the original run of the Master Series Paints, and they're not empty yet.

That bottle won't last you for YEARS if you use it as primer for a big dragon or three.  :poke:  ::P:

• Like 6

Honestly?

That bottle won't last you for YEARS if you use it as primer for a big dragon or three.  :poke:  ::P:

Well, ya know, there are some of us who actually do paint the smaller minis from time to time...

And besides, aren't you supposed to be enabling him? lol

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

Enabling myself is far more important than enabling anyone else. And a big, budget bottle of brown liner (BBBBL) would enable me to paint more, bigger.

(Actually, a light gray liner would be even better, but it would be much less ... aliterary.)

• Like 6

In general it's to use as a transition/shadow between different types of material/areas on a figure like skin and clothing or clothing and armor.

For bones: It's used as a "primer" unthinned and will for some reason adhere better to bones than other paints, but not only brown liner, any color of Reaper MSP liner as show in link below for the store.

This was the question I had.  I'm about to paint my very first Bones mini.  So, I use the Brown Liner as a primer and I use it straight from the bottle without water or any other kind of dilutant, is that correct?  

Afterwards, is it ready for painting or do I need a wash or something first?  Incidentally, that's something else I've never done.  This stuff is scary.

• Like 4