Combat Stat Blocks

Girot

I am in the process of creating a simplified, user-friendly, stat block format.  Mostly likely they will get formatted to be printed out as Tarot Cards.  

These are to be Pathfinder stat blocks.

The primary purpose of these stat blocks is "ease of use" as it pertains to combat.  If a GM/DM/PC wants or needs the "Full Monty" on a particular mob they could easily hit up their bestiaries or PRDs.

So the question becomes... what would YOU as a GM/DM/PC want to see on those stat blocks?  

• CR (challenge rating) and XP worth
  • Name
  • Type & Size
  • Hit Points
  • AC/Damage Reduction
  • Reflex/Fort/Will Saves
  • Attacks(Weapons)/Spells/Specials (basic combat relevant info only)
  • Dropped Loot
  • Combat Relevant Skills/Abilities/Feats
    • Tumble/Stealth/Intimidate

At this juncture I've decided that these abreviated stat blocks are going to be specific to generic mobs that serve little purpose beyond basic hack and slash (i.e. skeletons, spides, rats, etc).  The more complex and dynamic monsters just can't be chopped down enough to keep them intact AND fit them on a card.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't that depend on what system they're being made for??

Which you don't say, but I'm assuming you mean some variation of D&D??

He mentions Bestiaries and the PRD so it is Pathfinder.

Well done, Watson!

Yes, these are going to be for Pathfinder. Not that I have anything against D&D, I just happen to already have the licensing I need for Pathfinder. To be honest, however, I did tried talking to Hasbro in a professional capacity once and it was not a pleasant experience.

Basic derived modifiers, such as CMB/CMD for Pathfinder enemies.

Combat relevant skills, such as Tumble and stealth.

Check!

Hmm... I haven't bothered with skills so far, but see where you're coming from. If their relavent to combat, and used in the mob's tactics, I'll include them.

Speed if different from 30'walk

Yep speed is on there.  Personally I always use gridded maps for combat so when I make these for personal use I almost always just translate "feet" into "squares".  In this case 30ft = 6 squares

• Like 1

Basic derived modifiers, such as CMB/CMD for Pathfinder enemies.

Combat relevant skills, such as Tumble and stealth.

Check!

Hmm... I haven't bothered with skills so far, but see where you're coming from.  If their relavent to combat, and used in the mob's tactics, I'll include them.

I think Tumble and Stealth are the only two skills I've ever used for mobs, though I guess Intimidate needs to be there as well for the occasional enemy that wastes their time trying to do that.

Personal Note:  For those of you who get urked by my apparent lack of minis I appreciate your patients.  I will be painting exhaustively when this is all over, I promise.   ::D:  In the meantime I come here for your collective help because you are not only the most responsive board of tabletop gamers on the interwebz, you are also my friends.  I greatly value my friends' opinions and input.

Project Note:  I will be foraging into the murky woods of graphic design today and getting the graphical layout started.  Naturally I'll be alpha testing it in this thread, lol.

Could there be a check box to display "all skills" or "combat only skills"? 

These are pre-generated print-n-play, no digital components.  On the other hand, if I had the ability to create apps, I'd be ALL OVER that!   :bday:

On the other hand one of the ideas I had was to put the Combat Stat Block on one side of the card (preferable with some nice art) and the expanded monster info on the opposite side.  Unfortunately there is only so much one can put on a Tarot Card.  Every time I start working on this again I remember why there are Bestiaries and Monster Manuals. ::P:

My players seem to always want to parlay when I'm tired and just plan for combat... 

In those situations I just have the mob impale the PC in a non-vital organ to make a point.   :devil:   

I think Tumble and Stealth are the only two skills I've ever used for mobs, though I guess Intimidate needs to be there as well for the occasional enemy that wastes their time trying to do that.

Tumble, Stealth, and Intimidate.  Got it.

Edited by Girot

On the other hand one of the ideas I had was to put the Combat Stat Block on one side of the card (preferable with some nice art) and the expanded monster info on the opposite side.  Unfortunately there is only so much one can put on a Tarot Card.  Every time I start working on this again I remember why there are Bestiaries and Monster Manuals. ::P:

These are pre-generated print-n-play, no digital components.  On the other hand, if I had the ability to create apps, I'd be ALL OVER that!   :bday:

4x6 unlined index cards.  I print them out, and then I can mark them up for damage.  The players fill in cards for themselves, and then I can run initiative with them.

• Like 1

Question:  On a lot of specials and spell like abilities I keep seeing this at the end... "The save DC is Charisma-based..."  I think I get it but could someone translate this so I'm sure?

here is the entire bit I'm crunching right now...

"As a standard action with a range of 300 feet, a demilich can imprison the soul of a living creature within one of 10 special gems embedded in its skull. If the target succeeds at a DC 24 Fortitude save, it gains two permanent negative levels. If it fails, its soul is immediately drawn into one of the gems in the demilich's skull. The soul remains trapped within the gem, visible as but a gleam except under true seeing. The soulless body corrupts and decays rapidly, reducing to dust in a single round. As long as the dead creature's soul remains trapped in the gemstone, it cannot be restored to life via any means save direct divine intervention. Gems with souls trapped in them can be retrieved from a destroyed demilich, at which point they can either be crushed to release any souls within to their afterlife or used in the place of the usual material components to restore the soul and body withresurrection or true resurrection. After 24 hours, the demilich can choose to consume any soul trapped in a gem, healing it 1d6 hit pointsper Hit Die of the soul, at which point only miracle or wish can restore the dead creature to life. The save DC is Charisma-based, and includes a +2 bonus for the Ability Focus feat."

Edited by Girot

SLA's DC is 10 + Spell level + listed modifier, almost always charisma.

Extraordinary and Supernatural abilities are 10 + 1/2 HD (rounded down) + listed modifier.  Modifier for this can be any one of the six stats, depending on the ability.  Example: Poisons are generally Stamina.

But what's the point with the Fort save in the beginning of the SLA?  Why and who is rolling a CHA check?

PS - This is why I almost always roll Fighters or Monks.  ::P:

Edited by Girot