In respect to the light.

If you can get one, buy a daylight lamp.

This will give a natural colour without interference.

I like the demon, he looks like he has ripped his enemy apart and his hands are covered in blood.

• Like 3

I struggle with photography myself. Xherman has some good advice up above; you definitely want to try and get a daylight lamp for your pics.

Your paint job looks good. Do you know who produced this guy by any chance?

About the gore; did you mix the TCR (tamiya clear red) with anything else, besides the glue? It looks a little dark.

When I do this, I generally try to mix the TCR with a small drop of black or dark brown ink. It looks a little darker, but still red.

• Like 2

I struggle with photography myself. Xherman has some good advice up above; you definitely want to try and get a daylight lamp for your pics.

Your paint job looks good. Do you know who produced this guy by any chance?

About the gore; did you mix the TCR (tamiya clear red) with anything else, besides the glue? It looks a little dark.

When I do this, I generally try to mix the TCR with a small drop of black or dark brown ink. It looks a little darker, but still red.

The mini is from Battlore 2nd Edition from FFG.

Yes, I did mix in some black to give the blood effect. I wasn't sure if I should use an ink or normal matt black. I decided on the latter but I could not get the ratio correct right away since black's concentration turned the whole mixture into a dark brown black right away. After a few tries I thought I got the color right but it does seem a little dark tbh..

So next time I will try using inks instead and in maybe a lesser concentration. :)

Edited by VolksFest
  • Like 2

What game is he meant for? I am not familiar with one that uses a hexagonal base.

He somehow has an octopus vibe to him—but with more spines and spikes.

• Like 1

What game is he meant for? I am not familiar with one that uses a hexagonal base.

He somehow has an octopus vibe to him—but with more spines and spikes.

It is from BattleLore Second Edition, here is the BGG link:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146439/battlelore-second-edition

Different unit types have different bases.. infantry are square, elite units are hexagonal, cavalry have rectangle bases etc. 

Edited by VolksFest
  • Like 2

If you try a second round of photos and some of the lighting suggestions others have made you might try placing him on some of the map tiles from the game.

Moving the backdrop further back (to guarantee it is out-of-focus) might help a bit.

• Like 3

If you try a second round of photos and some of the lighting suggestions others have made you might try placing him on some of the map tiles from the game.

Moving the backdrop further back (to guarantee it is out-of-focus) might help a bit.

Ok, will do that and report back.. 

However could you be more specific about the day light lamp.. When I search my local stores it is usually a Led lamp with 'day light' color.. I checked out the Osram web site in order to find a day light lamp but I was perplexed more since there are a ton of choices, halogen, led, fluorescent, color temperature, nominal wattage.. you name it..

So could you help me out here, what type of lamp am I specifically looking for here?

Ok, will do that and report back..

However could you be more specific about the day light lamp.. When I search my local stores it is usually a Led lamp with 'day light' color.. I checked out the Osram web site in order to find a day light lamp but I was perplexed more since there are a ton of choices, halogen, led, fluorescent, color temperature, nominal wattage.. you name it..

So could you help me out here, what type of lamp am I specifically looking for here?

Sure. Look for numbers like 5000K, 3400K.

Those are the temperature numbers, the 'color' of a light bulb is measured by temperature. The K stands for Kelvin. Kelvin was a scientist and the temperature scale used for measuring this is named for him.

Wattage doesn't matter for this much.

"Lumens" matters a lot. Lumens measures the quantity of light the bulb produces, more Lumens = a brighter light.

Study this chart:

led-color-temperature.jpg

The short version is: "white" light actually comes in a range of colors. The cast or tint becomes noticeable when taking photos.

Those Kelvin numbers measure the temperature (and color).

I recommend reading this whole article:

http://www.seesmartled.com/kb/choosing_color_temperature/

...which was the source of the chart.

Daylight has a temperature of around 5000K but this is approximate (it depends on how much light is from the sky overhead and how much is direct sunlight) outdoors usually you get a mix.

Hotter/higher numbers look more blue to the camera. Cooler/lower numbers look more red/orange to the camera. (Note that the blue looking lights are often called 'cool' white while the orange looking lights are called 'warm' white. It is backwards.)

There is a wikipedia article on this topic: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature ...a lot of science and detail to wade through.

It does have a nifty image showing how wattage does not correlate to temperature:

Incand-3500-5500-color-temp-comparison.p

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4

Wow :) That's lots of information.. thanks so much.. It's an interesting topic tho, it is like my Heat Transfer and Radiation courses from university came back to haunt me  :bday:  I will read it through and hopefully learn what I can on this topic.

But I also understand that sending light directly to the mini is not a good idea anyway right? I mean what is the purpose of a light-box? I've been meaning to make one but did not find the time.. I guess this will be next challenge..but first I've gotta buy the right lamps :)

Edited by VolksFest

But I also understand that sending light directly to the mini is not a good idea anyway right? I mean what is the purpose of a light-box?

The purpose of a light box is to eliminate shadows.

Lighting a mini directly can work:

post-7586-0-09129300-1433134710.jpg

^ This one is lit directly. ^

It is an OK picture. Colors are about right, close to real life (although not-identical).

The key to lighting directly is TWO lights. From two different directions. Each light washes out the shadows cast by the OTHER light.

A light box tries to achieve the same result by diffusing the light so much it is effectively providing light from all directions.

• Like 3

Wow :) That's lots of information.. thanks so much.. It's an interesting topic tho, it is like my Heat Transfer and Radiation courses from university came back to haunt me  :bday:  I will read it through and hopefully learn what I can on this topic.

But I also understand that sending light directly to the mini is not a good idea anyway right? I mean what is the purpose of a light-box? I've been meaning to make one but did not find the time.. I guess this will be next challenge..but first I've gotta buy the right lamps :)

look at the Shutterbug section

• Like 2