Sign in to follow this  
Jaws

Dragoth the Defiler, Undead Lord on Throne, 30010

Looks good. The flayed skin is suitably gross.

Well done.

Good armor too.

• Like 1

I like the way you reserved the use of the blonde hair color for that one area to really draw attention to his face.  Awesome!

• Like 2

I like the way you reserved the use of the blonde hair color for that one area to really draw attention to his face.  Awesome!

I had not really noticed that! And how it is Super blond in the front but tapers off in the back! WELL DONE!

• Like 1

Really like how you control the eye movement with your paint selecting.

That Blood/gore red to draw the eye in, and the attention shift to the pale face,

the sides of the throne almost in marble, clean, and it fights with the

carnage on the back and front.

Really well thought out.

Congrats !

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

Uggghhhh, I had no idea that was a flayed skin at the front, from looking at my Bones figure.  So gross!  Very nicely done.

• Like 1

Really like how you control the eye movement with your paint selecting.

That Blood/gore red to draw the eye in, and the attention shift to the pale face,

the sides of the throne almost in marble, clean, and it fights with the

carnage on the back and front.

Really well thought out.

Congrats !

I thought a lot about the colors before I started, so I am glad it's noticed. It's something I am trying to learn, but it's a slow progress. Could be this was just lucky. That is the thought when I look at how his bride turned out. :P

Looks good. The flayed skin is suitably gross.

Well done.

Good armor too.

I love the flayed skin. I didn't notice that when I bought the miniature, and was like: "WTF!? That is soo cool!" This sculpt is just so incredibly detailed. :D

Actually googled flayed skin to get an idea of how to paint it. :P Not recommended for the faint of heart. 

I originally thought to give him black hair, but it looked really flat, so after trying blonde, I was much happier. :)

Great work on the throne and the head change.

It's not really a head change. The set comes with four heads to choose from. Skull, bat-form, helmet and normal human. I am aiming to portray 'beauty in undeath' or something like it, so the fair head was an easy choice. :)

Edited by Jaws
  • Like 3

Apologies I thought this was the Bones version. I didnt know the other one came with options.

No worries. :) This is full metal. 

I like the color selections, especially the contrast between the reddish armor and his hair against the stone throne.

The armor was inspired by the Bram Stoker's Dracula movie. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Aard_Rinn
      For the last few months since Reapercon, I've been focusing on pumping out minis to avoid the rut I got into last year. When I saw that Reaper had released the ghost sailors as metal figures, well... I knew what one of my October projects was going to be. I loved these guys as part of the Bones IV kickstarter, but I've not enjoyed painting plastic minis as much since getting back into metals at the Reapercon melt table, so I was psyched to order them and put in an order that night... Most of the rest I had from Reapercon, although I think I picked up Labella there too.

Either way, these guys painted up gorgeous and easy using my go-to one-two spirit technique! As a firm believer in spooky blue ghosts, I started by priming them white, then giving them a couple layers of Irrisen Blue from the new Pathfinder paintset... My old blue standby was from the HD line and the bottle has faded to the point of illegibility, but it was almost identical. Then once it's dry, I drybrush heavily with Linen White (pure white comes out looking starched, and bluer whites don't show on the blue, but linen is perfect) and... call it a day. Decorate the bases, maybe some pizza... 's good. That said, minis painted using this technique meet my #1 requirement for ghost minis: They're distinctive on the table!

I debated doing some OSL, but decided that it would wash the bases out, unfortunately. I like it better this way, with the bases nice and grounded, and the ghosts spooky and glowing! Lots of fun base details on these, too - 10/10 recommend picking them up if you have any sort of use for them!

Miniatures involved (not enough tags for them all): 03965: Ghost Pirate Cook, 03966: Ghost Pirate Quartermaster, 03967: Ghost Pirate Captain, 03968: Ghost Pirate Bosun, 03969: Drowned Nymph Ghost: Banshee, 03718: Ghost Bride, 03475: Labella DeMornay, Banshee, 03170: Lurien, Ghost, 14168: Gauren, Necropolis Hero, 03799: Female Wraith

03965: Ghost Pirate Cook

03966: Ghost Pirate Quartermaster

03967: Ghost Pirate Captain

03968: Ghost Pirate Bosun

03969: Drowned Nymph Ghost: Banshee

03718: Ghost Bride

03475: Labella DeMornay, Banshee

03170: Lurien, Ghost

14168: Gauren, Necropolis Hero

03799: Female Wraith

Of all of these, if I had to pick favorites... Hm... Ghost Bride and Gauren. They took the drybrushing perfectly and are super-fun figures!
    • By Rigel
      Been working on a series of monster hunters from the Early Modern Era, and of course that means we need early modern monsters!

The Vampire, of course, is one of the most versatile classics. Polidori, the "Varney" authors, LeFanu, and Stoker popularized the concept and promoted the bloated varcolac or shambling nach-zerer to the aristocracy. The variety is almost infinite, but nowadays we expect them to be parasitic, narcissistic, obsessive, entitled, compelling, rule-bound, and of course, literally blood-thirsty. 

Here's one such vampire, the beautiful Jahenna. Alluring, beguiling, deceptive. This is one of the crispest, cleanest sculpts I've encountered with regard to hands and hair. The conveniently-non-cruciform gravestone she's sitting on bears the legend "Mircalla RIP," a nod to LeFanu's "Carmilla" (source of the Vampire Anagram trope). The dress is very Jessica Rabbit-esque and my first attempt at fabric semitranslucency. Could probably have pushed those highlights more.

Matthias the Twisted, on the other hand, is a very different flavor of vampire. He gets the full Murnau/Schreck treatment. Grotesquerie, disfigurement, corruption, contagion. An asymmetric bogey, horrific, athirst, more rat than bat or wolf. I do love the adorable little plague rats around and on him. 

• By Mocha
      Hi folks,

My very first snow base! I haven't attempted Non-Metallic Metal on a shield like this before and I'm happy with how it's turned out :)

Thanks,
      Mocha
    • By Maledrakh
      This mini is called "Vorvorlaka" and is from the Bones 3 kickstarter, Graveyard expansion. I based it on a 30mm lipped base.

The obligatory size comparisons...

77631 Vorvorlaka
      Reaper Miniatures, Bones 3 KS 2015, Graveyard expansion
      Sculpted by Bob Ridolfi
      30mm base
      available from reapermini.com

Here shown with Reaper 80068 Victorians and North Star's Pulp Heroes: The Film Crew sculpted by Bob Murch
      click the pic to enlarge

• By aku-chan
      Presenting Volturnos, a character from the Idoneth (or Sea Elf) faction in the Warhammer:- Age of Sigmar game by Games Workshop.

Not my best work, I struggled in quite a few places (particularly with the fish) so a lot of it has ended up being painted rather basically, even by my standards.
      But I did get it finished, so I'll count this as a partial victory.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 2 Anonymous, 336 Guests (See full list)