Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hello everyone, here are pictures of a dragon I completed Yesterday. This is a Ral Partha 10-463, T'Char Dragon of The Flame and Fury sculpted by Sandra Garrity in 1992. I bought this model in 1993 and assembled it in 1995. It has been on a shelf all these years. It’s a pleasure to see it finally painted. This amazing sculpt is 175mm tall, almost 7 inches at the top of the wings. The original model comes with a nice base around which I added more rocks and branches. I made the flames with Liquitex heavy gel and 3d printed a 125mm wide base to complete the vignette. Nowadays, this 12-piece dragon is still available from Iron Wind Metals. I painted it exclusively with Reaper MSP paint.
Here’s the list of colors I used;
Two dragons from 2 different times, done with the same colors. Basically I had both of these on the table and I decided to just use the same palette for both
First up: the Panther dragon from Ral Partha. This guy is a long snakey one, his tail was very difficult to get to but overall fun to paint. This mini just seems to ooze stealth as she slips round alleys and empty streets making people disappear. This miniature has been sitting on my shelf for decades because I liked the art and the figure but I just didn't know what to do with it. I finally just broke down and said I am going to paint this!
Then on the flip side is the Treasure Rocky. This little tyke has acquired his first hoard and he is insanely protective and proud.
And he should be. I was looking at the reaper store and he and most of his pals are sold out, again! These are just a joy to paint and I
love painting them. they are just so entertaining and so full of character that no matter what color you add to them or what you put them in
they have to shine!
Hope you enjoy them!
So when I unpacked this Big Boi in 2017 I thought he would look really cool without wings. but I'm it will be a lot of careful work to carve off the joins and resculpt him, I just don't think I'm ready. In February I did the scales for my verocthulu conversion, and thought "I could have done that better."
So this is better.
This Dragon will be the colors or earth. Burnt Umber base, and a hide scattered with Burnt Sienna, Tusk Ivory, and Leather Brown with ochre and NNM gold colors on the belly.
perhaps some cool gray or blue washes in the shadows. The scales will be individually shaded, and the hide below staying the color of brown liner, or umber in the well lit areas.
So far its been about 4 hrs of work in sculpting, cleaning, gluing and mold line removal.
it took 45 min just to cover him in brown liner. He is a really big dragon, and I have no idea how long this is going to take.
but im getting a little obesessed - I don't want to schedule a meeting or go grocery shopping, I want to add more paint...
this feels like how I ended up with a dragon named Insomnia - who was painted almost entirely between 10pm and 7 am. I kept waking up with new color ideas.
Or the DDS2 dragon who I spent 2-4 hours a day painting for a solid week, and another hour a night for the week after.
The last picture is my inspiration for the scale colors - the eyes will be much simpler than this.
Hello everyone, now that my Perils of the Underworld diorama is built, I'll post here the detailed steps of my paintings sessions. The Work in progress of the display base can be found HERE.
Let’s start the painting section with a hack to save time. When I paint a large surface, typically a terrain piece, I apply paint straight on the surface and spread it with a large brush. It’s way faster, since I don’t have to go back to the palette each time to reload the brush bristles. Here I’m using a #8 flat brush.
As a base coat for the display I used 09660 powderburn brown.
I filled the gaps and hard to reach areas with a #1 brush. At this step, I’m using old brushes as it doesn’t matter if the bristles are sharp or not.
I then applied a dry brush of 09028 muddy brown all over the base.
I dry brushed of 09028 muddy brown on the upper part of the 03602 stone lurker and started painting the bat as well. The bat is from the 02018, Familiar Pack I. I used the same colors on the bat's perch that those I used on the display base. I painted the bat body in 29843 solid black.
Next, I started layering the bat wings with military grey (this out of production color can be substituted by 09438 tempest grey).
Here’s the picture I referred to for the bat wing colors.
For the bat fur, I used 09059 aged bone and the fingers were painted with a mix of 29839 maroon red and 09059 aged bone.
Even if it will be impossible to see the back side of the bat when it would be attached to the display base, I painted it anyway.
17mm wingspan ready to take off. I applied a 29822 suntan flesh highlight on the stalactite, then a mix of 29822 suntan flesh and 09059 aged bone for the final highlights.
Here’s the back side completed with a final 29822 suntan flesh highlight.
Here you go, that’s it for today. Spread your wings and go explore the Underworld.
Good day everyone, I will share here my progression on a project I wish to do for a long time. I already know all the parts I'll be using for this diorama. Starting with the carefree 03082 Ingrid sculpted by Derek Schubert (I'm converting her as a svirfneblin prospector), accompanied by her faithful familiar the 14453 hunting cat sculpted by Sandra Garrity. They are taken as prey by a 03602 stone lurker sculpted by Kevin Williams. I will also add a 02018 bat from the familiar pack 1 hanging somewhere on the rock wall. I already worked on Ingrid. I removed the base and give her a pickaxe. I made her tool with a paperclip and a piece of scrap metal. This all-project idea started with the gemstone she’s holding in her left hand.
Who's Online 17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)