Sign in to follow this  
jscurrier

14542: Nasithe, Darkspawn

On this one, I did TMM and tried to shade the metal using clockwork brass with black, followed by P3 rhunic gold, followed by P3 true gold, then a small Vallejo ice yellow dot. I know my skill level only allows so much, but I'm looking for suggestions on highlighting or shading or anything that will be helpful. I tried for a suntan darker flesh tone. This mini was given to me to paint after it had been glued together, primed thick black and no mold lines removed. I tried to get some of the lines, but couldn't get all of them. This is a PC in my game so I want it to look nice. I ordered another one that I'm going to make a dark elf.

Unfortunately, I see my photos didn't turn out well at all, Its probably going to be near impossible for anyone to really see the shading and highlights to make suggestions. I'm sorry for that... heck, I even put freckles on her! grrrrrr

After a cup of coffee this morning I retook a few shots and replaced the old.post-14155-0-02198300-1433425133_thumb.jpgpost-14155-0-13574200-1433425089_thumb.jpgpost-14155-0-24831500-1433425064_thumb.jpg

Edited by jscurrier
  • Like 18

Ha I spotted the freckles.

Nice.

Looks good. I recently read a tip, shade metals : Steel - shade with a blue tint. Gold - Shade with a redbrown tint.

Hope it is of use

• Like 1

She looks nice!  I had to click on the images to see the larger versions.   Nice freckles!  I agree, her skin looks smooth, though I can't tell much in the way of shading due to hte pics, as you said.  Are you thinning your metallics at all?  I don't use water to thin mine, just flow aid and end up having to put down a few coats, but I think it looks better in the end.   Otherwise, for shading Xherman's right on the money.  However, I'm lazy and tend to use armor wash (Secret Weapon usually) for my steel metallics and an old GW flesh wash for my golds (which has a brown tint as Xherman recomends).  I used to use 1 drop yellow ink, 1 part GW flesh wash, 1 part flow aid, and 1 part water for my gold metallics, when I wasn't feeling lazy.  The result isn't quite as strong as straight GW flesh wash.  Hope this helps some.

I used a thinned down Brown liner after the initial shadow coat. Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and upload better pics.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      This is the Bones version.  I used her for an experiment with Contrast paints.  I think it worked ok, but the softer detail gave a less desired effect -- at least on the armor. I had to go over that again with an ink wash.  The red came out very bright.  Maybe I could have gone over that with ink, too, but I liked the vivid contrast. She is a vampire, after all.  I drybrushed a little silver metal for highlights on her armor, looks good in hand, but the flash caught it and it looks like white spots in the pic. 

• By aku-chan
      I thought people might enjoy watching me helplessly flailing about as I attempt to paint an exceptionally intricate mini.

This is Tzandi:-

She's one fourth of my Monkey King Gang.
      Made a little progress today:-

Painted her skin.
      This started as a base of Elf Flesh, was shaded with Flesh Wash and then highlighted with Elf Flesh and 1:1 Elf Flesh/Light Flesh.
      She then got lips of 1:1:1 Elf Flesh/Light Flesh/Warlord Purple, and dots of Brown Wash for eyes and between her lips.
      I had made a little bit of a mess painting her hands, so I went back over them carefully with Flesh Wash, just to give her separate fingers again.

I automatically started painting her bosom as skin before realising she's wearing a dress under her corset, so that will be painted over eventually. The next job is hair and her ridiculously tiny hair ribbons. 
    • By planetmut
      Foxtrot was fun to paint. She comes with two bodies, two heads and two sets of weapons so it's possible to make her up as a crazy-haired gasmask-wearing nutter or Hasslefree's version of Furiosa from Mad Max: Fury Road. As you can see, I decided on the crazy-haired gasmask-wearing nutter.

Her right hand is separate, so fun and games ensued trying to get it glued to her wrist. I didn't dare attempt to drill/pin it as there was barely enough space for the drill bit and I had visions of wrecking the metal. The stock of her AK was on the verge of falling off, so I just did away with it. Her base is the usual Liquitex modelling paste, sand and paint.

• By Mocha
      Hi folks,

My very first snow base! I haven't attempted Non-Metallic Metal on a shield like this before and I'm happy with how it's turned out :)

Thanks,
      Mocha
    • By aku-chan
      Presenting Volturnos, a character from the Idoneth (or Sea Elf) faction in the Warhammer:- Age of Sigmar game by Games Workshop.

Not my best work, I struggled in quite a few places (particularly with the fish) so a lot of it has ended up being painted rather basically, even by my standards.
      But I did get it finished, so I'll count this as a partial victory.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
  • Who's Online   36 Members, 3 Anonymous, 187 Guests (See full list)