Sign in to follow this  
ub3r_n3rd

Group/Open Challenge! 54mm+ Figures & Busts

So here it is, THE WIP THREAD for the Group/Open Challenge of 54mm+ scaled figures AND BIGGER (yes, that includes busts)!

Please feel free to add your own WIP pics in this thread. Give credit to the manufacturer and sculptor, but please remember to not have any commerce links in here just like the rest of the forum.

This thread isn't for "Chatter" the chatter thread is over here -------> 54mm+ Challenge Discussion Thread

If you have C&C and advice to give or wish to receive, that's what this thread is for. I ask for the MODS to help keep this as chatter free as possible so that the actual WIP stuff is seen in here. 

FAQ's in Spoiler

Q: What's this all about?

A: To challenge ourselves and break out of the mold of only doing 28-32mm sized models. Also, FUN!

Q: Who can do this?

A: Anyone!

Q: Is there a "deadline"?

A: The only deadline is that which you set. For DF and I, we are both going to try to get it ours finished by the end of the year (2015) in order to also enter into the End of the Year Large Figure Contest.

Q: What sizes are acceptable?

A: Anything that is at or above the 54mm size. So Busts, 72mm, and larger if you want to! 

Q: What about "giants"?

A: If that's the only thing you have, go for it, but the real "challenge" is to try a bigger figure that is 54mm scaled rather than a larger figure from the 28mm scale. There are some outlying cases where the figure is pretty close to being perfectly proportioned to the 54mm scale, but isn't "technically" 54mm, go for it, have fun!

Q: When are you/we starting?

A: Whenever you want to really, I know that DF and I aren't starting ours for a couple of months because we are working on other projects and exchanges right now.

Q: Will there be a "Group/Open" WIP thread?

A: Yes, we well set one up in a few weeks, probably mid-June for those of you who really want to get a head-start on it and work together in the same thread. If you get started before that, feel free to do your own WIP thread or save the pics to post in the Group thread when it is started.

Q: Will there be prizes or anything like that?

A: No prize support; this is for fun, a personal challenge, and the admiration of your fellow hobbyists. It does coincide with the 2015 Large Figure Contest which does have prize support, so that may be an added motivation to some, just make sure your figure(s) or piece(s) follow those entry rules.

Q: Should I do a single simple piece, a complex base, a vignette (2-4 figures on complex base), or diorama (5+ figures on complex base)?

A: Do whatever you feel you can do, challenge yourself, and have fun at. 

Q: How should I pick my figure(s)?

A: Go with what is your favorite, if you don't have a single favorite, please feel free to post pics or links to pics (not commerce links) to show us what you are stuck on and we'll all be happy to vote on it and help you narrow down your choice!

ETA: If you already have a WIP thread and rather keep using that, please feel free to do as Dave did below and link to it, or do both!   ::D:

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 6

Here's the one I'm going to be working on:

He's Draco The Barbarian from Ares Mythological. (link to stock photo)

post-7987-0-41279300-1433713493_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-85092100-1433713494_thumb.jpg

I've got the mold lines cleaned up, the arm glued on, and the green stuff in the gap on his arm.

My personal goal is to start working on him full-time next month and start updating this thread with pics of him as I go along. I want to finish him in time for the End of the Year Large Figure contest on the forum.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 9

I see your topless hot dude and I raise you another topless hot dude.

tumblr_nplgid1fpP1qkx8jio1_540.jpg

This is the 54mm "fallen angel" from Freebooter's Fate. Sculpted by a favorite, Werner Klocke, I guess that makes this male Klockenbooty. I am using a secret weapon skull base instead of the base it came with. I have the wings assembled but due to the way this mini goes together I will be painting the body and base, then the wings and arms and weapon. His arm goes across the chest so I figured doing it in sections would work better. I also am not doing the painting method I have been trying out on my past handful of minis and instead broke the wet pallet back out. 

Edit to add the rest of what I got done tonight. I was "sketching" out the skin and in the process lost too many shadows. At least I now what to go back and fix before I start blending and spending more time on the skin. 

tumblr_nplu6qMreQ1qkx8jio1_540.jpg

Edited by Bathory
  • Like 11

I will participate.

Maria Roseblade WIP:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/62239-30007-maria-roseblade-pirate-queen-54mm-xherman1964/

And I decide to do a bust as well.

KY-RA Bust 1/6 Kabuki Miniatures WIP:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/62241-ky-ra-bust-16-kabuki-by-xherman1964/

Dare I say it? Yes: More will follow. I ordered something, when it arrives, Two more WIPS will be added..

• Like 5

Dare I say it? Yes: More will follow. I ordered something, when it arrives, Two more WIPS will be added..

Yeah, I have the Reaper "Pirate vs. Sea Monster" in my pile, and a not-Elric coming...
  • Like 4

I'll throw my Tuma in here... Even though he has his own WIP.

Yes, please feel free to do that or link your WIP thread.

• Like 2

Very happy to see so many getting started and having already started. I'll upload a couple more pics tonight of where my Draco is at since I do have him primed and pre-highlighted with primer.

• Like 2

I should have pics up this weekend of the little progress I've made.  I'd like to finish mine in time to enter her into the Nova Open, but we'll see.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/squidmar/squidmar-kolinsky-miniature-paintbrush

Story
      In Squidmar Miniatures paintbrushes, the insight of accomplished painters, impeccable production quality, luxurious aesthetics and the finest Kolinsky Sable are all brought together to create an experience which combines style, comfort and practicality in equal measure.
        Our brushes feature a wide body (AKA the “belly”) while maintaining a sharp point. This allows a Squidmar Miniatures brush to hold more paint in its bristles without losing its point, and lends it the stability and elasticity needed to make the brush feel properly responsive to your movements. Additionally, this design allows you to use a larger brush than you might have normally to accomplish even finer details! The Tobolski Kolinsky hair is compared to Synthetics well rounded and great at keeping its original shape. Giving you a longer working time during paint jobs and lasts you longer keeping the tip pristine even after working on big projects for longer times.
      Squidmar Brushes - Size Comparison - Equivalent of approximately 00-2 (differs from brand to brand) Our basic brush set contains four Squidmar Miniatures brushes, ranging from XS to L. We chose these four because we feel they represent the most common, and best suited, brush sizes for miniature painting. In addition to our basic set, however, we've also designed a tiny brush, for the finest of details, and an XL brush for heavy duty paint jobs! Armed with a full set of Squidmar Miniatures brushes, you'll be ready to take on any painting project! No wargaming army is too massive, no immaculately detailed display miniature too exquisite!
      The brushes, from Tiny to Extra Large! Wow, those are some cool ferrules! Not only are the brushes wider, so are the handles! They are designed for comfort and ergonomics, adapted to the anatomy of the human hand.  The handles of Squidmar Miniatures brushes are therefore thicker and slightly triangular. This allows the brush to rest naturally in your hand, which lets you relax and focus on painting without risking the dreaded “painter’s cramp”. Oh, and did we mention the fancy gold ferrule? We thought it’d look cooler that way.
      Your brushes are the safest when they're guarded by an antediluvian squid-being! Our brushes ship in a sleek cylindrical storage case. The bottom of the case is lined with a dense storage foam to stick the brushes into. This allows a Squidmar Miniatures brush to rest standing up, and avoids having any pressure placed on the bristles themselves. An open storage case additionally serves as a handy paintbrush stand while sitting at your workstation, your entire collection standing at attention! Handy, right?
      Cool and practical in equal measure!   Not only are we Kickstarting world-class paintbrushes, we're also introducing a line of exquisite miniature busts, custom sculpted for our campaign! Each bust is incredibly detailed, imaginatively designed, and bursting with character - sculpted by such renowned artists as Joaqin Palacios and Leonardo Escobar Quintero! There are 5 of these resin cast miniatures in total at 1/10 scale, ranging from 6.5 centimeters to as large as 10 centimeters. The retail cost of these never-before seen miniatures will range from 45€ to 55€, but all will be exclusively available for 40€ each through this Kickstarter, or even cheaper when purchased in a bundle!
      These fantastic miniature busts are specifically designed to help you become a better painter, sculpted to enable you to practice (and master!) painting everything from warm, rugged skin to cold, gleaming metal! Don't worry, though, we're here to guide you through it. Each bust is accompanied by a YouTube video painting guide where expert painters demonstrate advanced techniques, made simple!
      Squidmar's Boxart of Illonth Magic in the making! The Squidmar Miniatures paintbrushes are hand-crafted to exacting specifications by experienced professionals, using only the highest quality materials and the finest Kolinsky Sable hair. The union of comfort and practicality in each brush is perfect for experienced painters working to master their craft, beginners who are brand new to miniature painting, and everyone in between! 
      This Kickstarter is a great opportunity to not only grab a set of fantastic paintbrushes but a set of beautiful miniature busts as well! These finely detailed miniature busts, bursting with character, will allow you to grow and develop as a painter. We'll be with you throughout your journey through our custom painting tutorials, where we'll do our best to guide you through a variety of advanced techniques.  
      Finally, a heartfelt thank you from our entire campaign for taking the time to read this, and we hope you pledge a contribution, no matter how small. Join us in our quest for the miniature paintbrush of our dreams!
    • By Crowley
      So there's a thing called Inktober/Drawlloween that @Pingo reminded me about, where you draw/paint/sketch/art a thing every day during October. There's the "official" list of daily prompts...

and this other one that Pingo found that I think is cooler.

So who else is up for the challenge? 
    • By Echoside_
      Hey gang, I'm taking a dive into Bust painting, starting with a bust I scored from The Ouroboros Miniatures' Exquis Kickstarter: Adriana.  I'm calling her Mrs. Jones just due to her striking resemblance to Jessica Jones from Marvel Comics; but I digress. 

Firstly it was mold line and flash removal followed by a bath.

I figured I would make this a project of several firsts.  I attempted a Z-Priming via rattle cans.  Yes, I know an airbrush is so much smoother, but I haven't the equipment or space for that yet.....yet.  I used the Citadel Chaos Black and the new Seer Grey rattle cans to a decent effect, or so I thought.

The Seer Grey made her a little grainy.  A very rough texture to work around/on I have found.  Maybe I didn't shake it enough, or maybe it was slightly to humid.  I"m unsure just yet.  

After this I called her done for the night.  I hope to try to work on her between 30 - 90 minutes a night until complete.  Crossing fingers!!

• By SirLarpsAlot
      The Three Color Challenge is the brain child of forumite (and CMPA member) skippen. The idea is to select a miniature, then select, or have someone else select, three colors with which to paint the figure. Black and White are added to allow for highlighting and shading and color mixing is allowed and encouraged. The idea is that by limiting the palette and maybe using colors that may fall outside of one's comfort range, something could be learned.

If you wish to participate in this challenge, please do! If you're struggling with colors and lack friends who are willing to give you opinions, look in the spoiler tag below. When it comes to picking the colors, the idea behind the colors isn't to pick strange combinations or to make this intentionally difficult based on the color choices. You'll find it hard enough to operate without proper flesh tones or metallic paints. I found it a good suggestion because I had to stretch myself and use some paints in combinations I wouldn't have otherwise. Overall, the point is to have fun!

• By Paradoxical Mouse
      Sooo...these look like fun. So Mouse is doing one! Yay! Now ask me stuff, please?
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 2 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)