suggest me a brand of inks

Gabbi

Until very recently, I used almost GW inks only. And I was always more than happy with them. As for their whole range of colors. Until the last time they changend their color line. Now GW colors are become some of the worst on the market. They quickly dry on the bottles, metals become unusable in a matter of months. I keep my colors all together and only the newer GW ones give me problems. They're crap. I still have older colors (even those on the octagonal pot) that are still perfectly fluid and usable, while newer ones become dense and lumpy very quickly.

Anyway, it's about inks I'd like to have suggestions, as for colors I have lots of good options from other manufacturers (Vallejo above all). I always loved GW inks, but the newest of them tend to become white in the recesses. They always do if I mix them with water, and sometimes even if I use them straight from the pot. I never had experience this issue previously.

example: 4vog1i.jpg

So I'm looking around for other options. I've tried a Valejo one (Red Shade), but I'm not very happy with it. It looks more like a thin pigment suspended in a clear liquid, while GW ones looks more like a truly colored liquid. Hope what I'm sayng makes sense for you. I've also tried Coat of Arms ones, but they're even worse, in the forementioned aspect. I'm looking for inks that are really translucent, not thinned down paint.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Gabbi

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you are looking for are actual artists inks. You should be able to find some at any craft store.  I have used Daler Rowney and Liquitex brand acrylic inks and they have both worked well.

Like just about any ink, they will leave a shine if used straight out of the bottle. I mix up dropper bottles of the inks combined with a mixture of matte medium and water to have ready made washes.

• Like 1

I also use the Liquitex and Daler Rowney. They work really well as pre-mixed washes. They also work well thinned down. As a plus if you buy them from Michael's or Hobby Lobby you can get a 40% off coupon like every week or so online.

• Like 1

Bummer man :). On the plus side you have all the really nice Gelato shops.

There are other brands of inks that work really well. I believe Scale 75 and AV both have really nice ink sets.

Oh, and inks can separate in the bottle. They don't need the rigorous shaking that paint sometimes require. Inks are made from dye and a carrier, so the two components do separate on occasion. The ones that are most notable for me are my Liquitex metallic inks and (for whatever reason) vivid orange from the same line.

Thanks again to everyone for suggestions.

I live in Italy, so no Hobby Lobby here :)

Check prices then be sure to compare them to Dick Blick online. They sell those inks for about half the cost that I have found in retail.

Except that shipping to Italy might be prohibitive.

In Europe, your best bet could be the Scale75 inks, They have some very nice reviews, but I haven't tried them yet.

For more ink, and less "paint thinned down", your best bet are actual waterproof acrylic inks. See if you can get one of those from an art store, like a Burnt Amber, or Scarlet, try it out thinned, with water, with medium... and check that it does not get reactivated (lifted off) when you re-wet the surface. You can get a larger, nicer and more cheap collection that way.