There are a few rides of the sort at our local mall, but they are mostly vehicles, you'd have to go to the Harris-Teeter supermarket to find one that depicts an animal as your mount, and that one is a friendly dragon named Harry and only costs a penny. The store gives away free cookies too!!

ETA: I'll have to take a photo next job I have at a Harris-Teeter to show you guys Harry, it's kind of cute really and dates back to when I was young enough to ride the things, more than 20 years ago.

Edited by FaekiasDracon
  • Like 3
  • Forum Mascot

This thread inspired me to look up old coin-op rides, and I found pics of one called "Twirlybird".  I haven't thought about Twirlybird since maybe 1977.

As I recall, I had no idea what was going on when my parents put me in the thing.  I certainly wasn't expecting it to start moving.

I screamed rather a lot.  Practically Nam flashbacks. 

• Like 10

The logical place to begin when one is constructing a mom and pop grocery store in 28mm is with one of those horsie rides that goes out front. In my youth, you could not find a mom and pop grocery that did not have one. So upon my visit to the Mythology exhibit at the museum, I purchased several little tiny dragons and unicorns... and from a unicorn, I began the construction of a horsie ride, the kind where your immediate ancestors would seat you atop a plastic horsie and drop a quarter in the slot, and you were delightfully entertained for five minutes or so.

df1b9fc401907d46cc3b2995e571a8be.jpg For some reason, you can hardly find any of these things any more. 

As far as I could tell, it used to be a LAW that everyplace that sold food had to have at least one of these things on the premises. Nowadays, you can hardly find them anywhere. I had to drive clear out to Parker to find one to use for a model. It resembled this one, although in shades of brown, and the horse was depicted in a galloping position; rather than repose the soft rubber unicorn, I said the hell with it. Construction includes toothpicks for the column supporting the cashbox, and for the piston that makes the horsie go up and down; it's mounted in a bead.

The pedestal is shaped basswood.

And now that there is a horsie ride, the actual construction on the convenience store can begin. More on this as I get it...

I love this.

• Like 4

This thread inspired me to look up old coin-op rides, and I found pics of one called "Twirlybird".  I haven't thought about Twirlybird since maybe 1977.

As I recall, I had no idea what was going on when my parents put me in the thing.  I certainly wasn't expecting it to start moving.

I screamed rather a lot.  Practically Nam flashbacks. 

And I love this, too.

• Like 7

All-night food and liquor and a unicorn ride.

That's beautiful, man.

Shop at Doc's! All party, all the time!

Is this diorama going to be set in a legal hemp state? Because if there's one thing that's going to really set off your all-night snack and unicorn party... apart from LSD... it's pot.

• Like 2

All-night food and liquor and a unicorn ride.

That's beautiful, man.

Shop at Doc's! All party, all the time!

Is this diorama going to be set in a legal hemp state? Because if there's one thing that's going to really set off your all-night snack and unicorn party... apart from LSD... it's pot.

Truth is, I hadn't really thought about it.

The whole thing came about a couple years back at Reapercon, when one of those fine folks at the Miniatures Building Authority sold me a resin set of accessories for a mom and pop grocery: Two panels of glass doors for sodas and frozen foods, a self serve soda fountain, a video game, an ice cream freezer, two rows of canned and boxed goods, a long pay counter with more goods on the front... oh, and for outside, an ice machine, a trash can, a cage for propane bottle exchange, and a soda machine. It was a fine price, and I'm fond of zombie skirmish anyway.

But when I got home, I found that my Plasticville convenience store was far too small for all these wonders. So I resolved to build my own. And then life got in the way, and the project went on the back burner for awhile. Until its recent rediscovery....

• Like 7

Our friend THUGG* just wanted to be a supervillain. Or a superhero. He wasn't picky. And thus, you may imagine his joy when the audition panned out, and he was selected to be in the first wave of HEROCLIX figurines! He'd be rubbin' elbows with the likes of Spider-Man, Captain America, The... um... Controller... and... ah... the version of the Vulture that wasn't an old man... and ... um... how many clicks did you say I have? Even on Veteran version?

Thugg was not one of the more popular figures. He was a common, and a weak common at that. His career was a short one, and no other version of him was ever produced. And he said, "Hell wid this, I'm gonna go out and get me a JOB!"

And he did; I rebased him, originally to work with some Chronoscope figures, but now I'm thinking of putting an apron on him and putting him to work as a clerk. In the meantime, he provides scale reference, and points up the fact that the accessories are more 25mm than 28mm. Still, they'll work for the effect I'm looking to create... And yes, I suck at freehand and at lettering. So sue me.

980593704fee574bc82aa3bf0aa33139.jpg

*"That's Thugg, with TWO g's, man. They misspelled it on my Heroclix dial..."

• Like 7

Weirdly enough, there is a pavilion in Manitou Springs, not far out of Colorado Springs, where a private collector has made a ZILLION Of the honkin' things available for public use. I'm presuming he gets to keep all the quarters.

10734252_818718398171839_191215356371309

10734074_818718718171807_604569006731973

10635736_818719121505100_661449748084447

150105_818719434838402_40502935952706741

10458449_818719578171721_193635685089980

• Like 4

Gads, I remember those things.

I also remember ones with TV screens that for a coin (can't remember if it was a quarter or a dime or what) would play some horrible old Hanna-Barbera cartoon or other for like five minutes.

It was always something awful, like those backup cartoons on "Underdog" or something.

• Like 5

Gads, I remember those things.

I also remember ones with TV screens that for a coin (can't remember if it was a quarter or a dime or what) would play some horrible old Hanna-Barbera cartoon or other for like five minutes.

It was always something awful, like those backup cartoons on "Underdog" or something.

I never heard of such a thing. Presumably, they never made it this far south.

But I can think of any number of parents who'd happily cough up a little pocket change for five minutes of peace and quiet...

I totally remember those screens with the cartoons!

We have a few places around here that still have the coin operated animals, Meijer  is the only one that has more than one in a store though.

• Like 1