Sign in to follow this  
Snowcone

77144: Mummy

Thanks! Most of the highlights were dry brushing. Some of the bigger areas weren't. I may go back and clean up his arms some. They're looking kind of funky. 

• Like 1

The mummies come out well without having to get too crazy without a doubt. I saw pictures of them painted with the flesh and stuff picked out, but, for gaming purposes, there's little point. They look good in play when kept simple. 

You can get darker shadows by priming the miniatures black. Also, washing or dipping will help bring them out. After the wash or dip, even dry brush or highlight to pull out the raised areas. 

• Like 1

I was going to pull out some of the flesh and bones, but ended up deciding not to. I may grab a second mummy to play with that. I started off painting him all barely off white, then figured out that I needed to start dark and move lighter. I've been reading about everyone's love of brown liner and am considering picking some up. 

I was going to pull out some of the flesh and bones, but ended up deciding not to. I may grab a second mummy to play with that. I started off painting him all barely off white, then figured out that I needed to start dark and move lighter. I've been reading about everyone's love of brown liner and am considering picking some up. 

Yea, they look good if you pick out the flesh also. I went the quick and easy route on mine. Primed black, preshaded white at a 45, dry brushed, eyes, dipped (I was on a dipping kick), done. I used one in a game the other day and they looked fine in play.

One bonus to preshading the way I mentioned, is it gives the base a nice stone color without touching it. 

Are you painting for gaming, or display? If gaming, you might want to look into adding bases to your miniatures. If you check out my Warlock and Skeleton guy (?) you can see what I mean. Pretty much super glue the figure to the base, glue your basing onto it, prime it, then give it a dry brushing or whatever after you paint the miniature. Be warned, I'm not a prime example of a miniature painter. Just offering some advice. I get my bases pretty cheap and in nice sized packs off this one seller on ebay. The only issue being, because of the stance of the reaper miniatures, you'll likely require a larger base then the figure should be on. 

Edited by Chargeit

I haven't tried dipping. With how often I've seen it mentioned, I should look into it. 

I started painting a few bones (including the LTPK) as practice for board game minis. I may choose to game with these minis one day in the future, but right now they're just for fun. I'm beginning to see how basing these guys would help them stay upright on the table. I'm still not to the point that I want to play with basing. I'm sure that once I start having to glue minis together basing will seem like less extra work. 

I haven't tried dipping. With how often I've seen it mentioned, I should look into it. 

I started painting a few bones (including the LTPK) as practice for board game minis. I may choose to game with these minis one day in the future, but right now they're just for fun. I'm beginning to see how basing these guys would help them stay upright on the table. I'm still not to the point that I want to play with basing. I'm sure that once I start having to glue minis together basing will seem like less extra work. 

Don't be afraid of basing. It's really easy once you get a few under your belt. Not only does adding bases allow them to stand up correctly, but, fully basing also adds nice weight to the miniature. 

Dipping works great as a way to push out ok looking miniatures with little effort. It takes longer to get a finished miniature because the dip has to dry for two days or so, but, what would take you 4 - 6 hours to paint with good results, suddenly takes a hour with ok results. I would suggest getting all your basics down before messing with it since it can promote lazy practices.

Keep up the good work man. 

Edited by Chargeit

Looks really nice. Dipping is a good suggestion. I might would hit the top part of the wraps with a light white - watered down.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this